Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boomerang 5.0-NORTH Group (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boomerang-5-0-north-group-t120542.html)

PokerDiva 06-02-2011 04:48 AM

I don't think that LQS wants any business and if they keep that up they may not have any. Shame on them.

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
My one sorta close LQS is only open till 2 and I work later. Thru have no weekend hours and are open two nights a month till 4 pm. I just can't get there. When I went in over the summer with my then one and a half year old daughter I was told that if she made noise it would disrupt the atmosphere and I'd be asked to leave. She started to cry and asked me why they didn't like her. I've not been back since.

AngieS 06-02-2011 04:58 AM

I agree! You should welcome the little ones...as long as they aren't tearing things up. My little girl loves to go in ours when we get to. She loves fabric. She's 3. My LQS lady knows her and always talks to her! That's insane and no, I don't think that if she treats people like that she'll be open for the duration. Sad!

Originally Posted by PokerDiva
I don't think that LQS wants any business and if they keep that up they may not have any. Shame on them.

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
My one sorta close LQS is only open till 2 and I work later. Thru have no weekend hours and are open two nights a month till 4 pm. I just can't get there. When I went in over the summer with my then one and a half year old daughter I was told that if she made noise it would disrupt the atmosphere and I'd be asked to leave. She started to cry and asked me why they didn't like her. I've not been back since.

:thumbdown:

MFQS 06-02-2011 06:16 AM

We're even having a Kid's Quilt Camp this summer here at MFQS!

Jennifer22206 06-02-2011 07:02 AM

Personally I hope that place goes out of business. My daughter is now two and a half and she can operate my treadle. I guide the fabric and she moves the pedal up and down. I let her sit on my lap and guide fabric on my electric machines. And I'll take the needle out and let her guide fabric through so I can teach her where to put her hands. She's an awesome fabric chooser too. I was really offended and I refuse to spend my money there.

Her prices are outrageous too! She charges $15-19 a yard for regular quilting cottons (like Moda), her batik starts at $18-24 a yard and she charges at least $4 a FQ for cottons and batik FQs start at $7 on up. I can't afford that. Her sale prices are $8-10 a yard. I just can't afford that plus I don't like the attitude so I don't go.

MFQS 06-02-2011 07:05 AM

OMG! Those prices! Where is this shop? What state?

Jennifer22206 06-02-2011 07:07 AM

NJ

I did hear one of my older friends who goes in the shop said that the owner is thinking about closing since she's not making enough. I smiled.

MFQS 06-02-2011 07:18 AM

The whole issue here is sad. I don't want to see any independent quilt shops fail but it seems that some of them are headed that way just because of their attitudes. We have a shop about 10 miles away from us (in a neighboring state) who first told customers that they couldn't have any fabric from our store in their quilts if they wanted to be in her quilt show... then in a wider (but less specific) written notice said all quilt fabric in the quilts in her show had to be from her shop in order to guarantee quality of fabric.

Our shop's motto is "We're all in this together". I just wish other shop owners felt the same way!

Jennifer22206 06-02-2011 07:24 AM

Wish I lived closer to you, I'd feel happy about shopping there. This LQS doesn't understand that new quilters need advice. When they first opened I asked if they were going to offer classes especially on hand applique and they seemed offended! That should have been my first clue.v

So thanks to this board and online tutorials I've figured it out.

MFQS 06-02-2011 07:27 AM

Depending upon where you live in NJ it may not be that far. We're about 15 miles from the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Might be close enough for a FART (Fabric Aquisition Road Trip).

AngieS 06-02-2011 07:28 AM

MFQS, I too wish I lived closer.....to at least get to visit. ;) Our LQS lady is very sweet. They do classes because not everyone is on the same level. I am taking the beginners block of the month again. (long story, but she stopped doing the classes back in 09 when I had signed up). I love taking classes there. She makes you feel so welcome. I go there as a get away. Even if I don't buy anything. It has such a calm sweetness about it. Plus I like to run my hand across the fabric. ;)