Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Calendar Sun Bonnet Sue - Sign-up Closes 28 Feb 2010 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/calendar-sun-bonnet-sue-sign-up-closes-28-feb-2010-a-t32584.html)

MistyMarie 07-19-2010 11:27 AM

Do you think it is the anonimity of not having to face those you are letting down? This is not the first time I've been in a swap where someone failed to fulfill their commitment. Has the admin discussed having a list for swap hostesses of members who have gone back on their commitment so as to not allow them to join new swaps for a certain amount of time? They would have to wait a certain amount of time before they can sign up for another swap. This might help keep the swaps current and fun for all those participating. (As in, you miss the deadline by more than a week, you have to wait a few months before you can join another one? You don't send in at all and you are not allowed to join for six months. If you fail twice to fulfill your obligations, you are not allowed to join for a year.)

deirdre ann 07-19-2010 01:00 PM

I agree with you, marie, if people cannot stick to a promise, they shouldn't be allowed to participate for a while, cos its just not fair on others.

FAYE 07-20-2010 08:34 AM

I am all for the hostess's of the swaps to share names of those among us that don't honor their commitments, & being politely turned down to sign-up on swaps, we all use the e-mail more than once a week-so neglect is not honest. And I have not got e-mail updates lately - so if you need late help-e-mail me

MistyMarie 07-20-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by amma
This block swap was different, we needed everyone who signed up to participate due to the calendar months.

Most swaps? It doesn't matter if a few drop out, you send in 12 blocks, you get 12 back as long as atleast 12+ members participate.

The same with the I Spy swap, you need all who sign up to participate in that one too, to get back the correct amount of blocks.

It is very sad when members sign up and don't let the host know that they can't keep their commitment.

This is true. At that point, if blocks don't arrive by the due date, do they just get sent back to the maker, or do hostesses wait a bit to see if any more come in? I do find it frustrating to send in block and have to wait well beyond the due date for the hostess to start sending them back.

Deb watkins 07-23-2010 07:13 AM

It is very frustrating when blocks don't come in on time, but I do understand that life sometimes gets in the way of....well...life. However, I also know that for most swaps, the time for sign up and send in is usually very generous. However, to just completely back out with no communication with the host is uncalled for. It may be a matter of the host being firm and saying that if your blocks are not here at the deadline, you will not be included in the swap. Sounds harsh, but it isn't fair to others who DO send in on time and must wait and wait and wait.......been there, done that. I love the swaps and have made so many great friends on this board. Admin does a fantastic job in keeping this a safe site for us.

FAYE 07-23-2010 07:30 AM

It just is not fair to those of us who get the sewing done & mailed....also just saying no to to some is getting into the "quilt police" job. We always have 2-4 months signup time, if a list is kept quietly among the hostess of repeat drop-outs, they should be asked to complete what they signed up to do in this time frame, knowing that their name will be dropped at the end of sign-up-& some one else will be in the swap. Our world is changing faster than we can blink an eye, so use the e-mail if help is needed,as a courtesy to those of us give up a cup of coffee & get the job done.

MistyMarie 07-23-2010 08:04 AM

I don't think the list of those not completing swaps should be made public. Not only is it embarrassing, but it also can get petty. I got my name on a list once for being one day late getting my blocks to the hostess. I sent them in a week and a half early, but the post office waylayed them. I was not allowed to sign up for a swap for three months. I quit the group because those who did not send in blocks at all had the same consequence as I did and our name was publicly displayed for all to see.

However, I also feel that there really should be a consequence for failing to fulfill a commitment. Some swaps, obviously, can handle a few people not following through, but with partner swaps, secret pal swaps, and set number of block swaps (like this), cannot. I do think that having a list for hostesses would be helpful to keep swaps fun for everyone. The hostesses could make the decision to include those on the list if they want to join, asking them to send in the blocks early, post progress, or something along those lines.

MistyMarie 07-23-2010 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I finished my first block. Only eleven more to go. What do you think? (Not as pretty as my first set, but this really reminds me of June. Here in Colorado, the first weekend in June is free fishing - no license required.)

My son decided she was under attack by aliens
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72443[/ATTACH]

Deb watkins 07-23-2010 09:51 AM

She is perfect! What a great depiction of your month!

brushandthimble 07-23-2010 10:51 AM

love it! really like the background additons, I would never have thought to use.