Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Civil War Block swap - One, Two Three (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/civil-war-block-swap-one-two-three-t195372.html)

Fraew 07-24-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts (Post 5390173)
I placed an order yesterday for civil war prints from Connecting Threads. Can't wait to get them. I have several prints, but only a couple that are large enough to make 4 blocks from, so I had to break down and get some larger pieces. :) Will post them when they arrive or you can see them on Connecting Threads website. :)

Here is a picture of a sample Double T block I made. I chose to make it using flying geese rather than half square triangles.

Ooh pretty!

rwquilts 07-24-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone. If I keep these colors, I will be two ahead of the game...if not, well, you know how that goes right? I plan on making the hardest blocks first and then the simpler ones

I like the colors you ladies are picking!

Deb watkins 07-24-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts (Post 5390173)
I placed an order yesterday for civil war prints from Connecting Threads. Can't wait to get them. I have several prints, but only a couple that are large enough to make 4 blocks from, so I had to break down and get some larger pieces. :) Will post them when they arrive or you can see them on Connecting Threads website. :)

Here is a picture of a sample Double T block I made. I chose to make it using flying geese rather than half square triangles.

Very nice block - it is just what I am imagining! Perhaps you would like to share your measurements for those who hate HST, it sure would save alot of bulk.

Deb watkins 07-24-2012 12:32 PM

QM - I do like the fabric - but am having a hard time thinking that bright green is a muted olive - if it is truly muted and darker - okay - but if it is more pastel or 30's fabric looking - sorry.....it was mentioned that some CW fabrics were actually brighter than we thought. It is my intention to keep these blocks more muted and somber (if you wish) as a tribute to what the CW was all about. It was a terrible time for our Nation - it is my thought to have these blocks as a keepsake (or so to speak) of a not so happy time.....though beauty in quilts comes through.

QuilterMomma 07-24-2012 12:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trust me Deb, it is definitely not a bright or 30s green. [ATTACH=CONFIG]351173[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]351174[/ATTACH] Strangely enough it is like these two colors. i took these awhile back on my camera and it kept the colors right. It is like these greens, not bright. That is what I will be using.

rwquilts 07-24-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5390984)
Very nice block - it is just what I am imagining! Perhaps you would like to share your measurements for those who hate HST, it sure would save alot of bulk.

Absolutely! Here are my modifications for the 12" finished Double T Block for those interested:

Cut 1 (4 1/2") light square
Cut 20 (2 1/2") dark squares
Cut 8 (2 1/2" x 4 1/2") light squares
Cut 2 (5" to trim down or 4 7/8" if you're a perfect sewer) light squares
Cut 2 (5" to trim down or 4 7/8" if you're a perfect sewer) dark squares

Make your large half square triangles and trim to 4 1/2".
Sew your flying geese units using the 2 1/2" squares on the 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" rectangles.
**Stitch just to the right of the drawn line so when you fold the fabric out and trim, it will be the right size.
Stitch the remaining 4 small squares to the 4 1/2" light square creating a square in a square block. Should measure 4 1/2".

Make sure all the seperate blocks measure 4 1/2" when stitched and then assemble them all together in a nine patch style to make the Double T design.

Hope this helps. :)

Deb watkins 07-24-2012 12:45 PM

Okey dokey! At first, when I saw the purple - I almost spit.......then I understood what you were saying......the green will work just fine!

Deb watkins 07-24-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks Ronda! Perfect!!!! I am sure it will help out those who think this block is a bugger!

oksewglad 07-24-2012 02:40 PM

Thanks for doing the math Ronda. Will work on these tonight, got the EASY Shooflies done last night--very somber one a Barbara Brackman print; the other a Wyndham "Presents Civil War III" fabric. Camera battery is charging so pics later.

QuilterMomma 07-24-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 5391037)
Okey dokey! At first, when I saw the purple - I almost spit.......then I understood what you were saying......the green will work just fine!

glad I was not close to you, did you wipe your lips so you aren't drooling?