Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Fall Block Swap/So a new adventure begins. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/fall-block-swap-so-new-adventure-begins-t287981.html)

Deecee 05-04-2017 05:12 AM

Thanks Judith.

Autumn is not my usual thing so I will have to put my thinking cap on and shuffle out of my comfort zone.

RedGarnet222 05-04-2017 07:55 AM

I am in too, judith! Not sure how many sets yet, but, I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for hosting again!

K-Roll 05-05-2017 07:17 PM

I was going to lurk, Judith, then decided: JOIN! & see how far I can get (# of sets)...after all, I did get a 12.5" ruler for those ghost blocks that now exist only in pixels.

Deecee 05-05-2017 07:33 PM

Not sure how many sets I will do until I find some block inspiration.

Glad to see you taking the plunge again K-Roll.

RedGarnet222 05-06-2017 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay girls, here are my prototypes of my first two blocks. What do you think? Both blocks will trim out to be the 9 1/2" size.

Just wondering here judith, do the blocks gave to be square? Or can they be like a combination of the sizes? Say a 6 1/2" x 12 1/2" or a 9 1/2 x 12 1/2"?

RedGarnet222 05-06-2017 12:14 PM

I just re-read the rules. I guess they are all square whichever size block you make. ... Never mind.

Judith1005 05-06-2017 01:42 PM

Red, those are fabulous!!! I love them.

Yes Red, I prefer them to be square. But, if your making some for you own quilt, feel free to add them in.

I confess, I haven't even started any blocks yet. I'm right in the middle of finishing up a quilt top that only needs 1 more square made for it. It is an old BOM (Block of the Month) that I found online a couple years ago and started it last year. But, hey, it is almost a finished top..:o I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed making the blocks. But, the tutorials weren't written the best. (I really like when they tell give you the finished block sizes on the "different parts" that make the whole block. And, that you can download the instructions as a PDF. I had to keep each link to the block I was working on until I completed the blocks. It is definitely a real skill builder. It would be a big stretch for a beginner quilter. No impossible, but, difficult for sure.

Deecee 05-06-2017 02:36 PM

Gosh Red, you are quick off the mark. Love your blocks.

I had better check my meager stash for autumn colours and rack my brains for inspiration.

RedGarnet222 05-06-2017 03:08 PM

I just found some fabric that has tiny images of items you gather for a thanksgiving meal on a cream background. It even has a cooked turkey on a platter. I thought, "Hey this would be dang cute as a apron block. Because it looks kinda retro." I remember them from some time back, but I didn't copy a pattern down at the time. Anyone remember those? I liked them, but I don't know if it would be okay for a fall quilt. What do you girls think? I love baking in the fall.

I have a pattern and specialty ruler (that comes with it) that was from elenore burns that is either a colorful leaf or a turkey block. I want to try and find it and use it for this swap too. I looked last night with no luck. I am determined though ... LOL!

GracefulAnn 05-06-2017 04:06 PM

Red I love your fall block! I have a pumpkin button that would be adorable as the center of the "A". I know I said I wasn't going to do this I think I may need too.