Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Block Swap/So a new adventure begins.

Blog Entries

Fall Block Swap/So a new adventure begins.

This is a Fall Block Swap.
    Think Fall colors, Apples, Pumpkins, (no Halloween), Scarecrows, Leaves, Acorns, Crows ect.
    Please pm (personal message me) to sign up.

The signups are open till June 7, 2017. (5 weeks)
    The Deadline to have them to me (in my hands) is July 12th (5 weeks)
    I will swap them and mail them back out to you no later then August 2. (3 weeks)
    If I do not have your blocks in my hands by the deadline, I will swap out without you.
    QB General Swap Rules: http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...-a-t20154.html

The Swap is for sets of (4) Blocks. The limit is 5 sets per swapper. 20 Blocks maximum.
    NO Squares of fabric or DP9's will be counted as a block.
    I will trade out all the blocks I receive. Don't forget to make a set for yourself.
    Block size are 6 1/2" Sq. or 9 1/2" Sq. or 12 1/2" Sq. These three sizes play very nicely together.
    The sets should be the same image/block. But, different fabrics can be used. 100 % cotton fabric must be used.
    Any background Fabric can be used as long as it's appropriate for the theme.
    Applique blocks must be sewn down!
    Embroidery blocks whether hand sewn or machine sewn are fine also.

Mail your blocks to me in a priority flat rate envelope using stamps only on the return envelope. (Metered mail expires.) Give your package time to get to me please. Make sure to address your return envelope back to yourself. Don't forget to use the proper postage. (Thank you.) My budget is tight this summer. Pm me for my address when your ready to send. You can mail whenever your ready.

Place your finished sets in one Large baggie. Make sure your board name is on each block.

Should anything come up and you need to withdraw from the swap, just let me know. Life happens sometimes.

***NEW***

I have a request. I am requesting that each swapper enclose One extra block in the swap theme. This is a just in case block. In case the mail messes up and things go awry. If I need them, I will use them. I hate to disappoint anyone. If I don't need them, I will hold a drawing 2 weeks after the swap blocks have been mailed out, and whoever wins, I will send them the extra blocks. I will take care of the postage. I do thank you for helping me out.

Now, let's share early fabric pulls, ideas, and blocks and have a little fun.

Hope to see you on our FALL adventure.

Judith1005
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

I have a question... If I send in a pack of 12.5" blocks (4 the same) will I get 4 different 12.5" blocks back? Do you get back the size you send in?

Sounds like fun.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    You will get a variety of sizes back. It really all depends on what I receive. But, best bet, expect a variety of sizes back. Yes, when I swap out, I try to make sure no one gets there own blocks back or gets doubles from others back.

"NO Squares of fabric or DP9's will be counted as a block."

OK - what is a DP9? (this is me - dunce alert)
    "The only war that matters is the war against the imagination." - D. DiPrima

That is a disappearing 9 patch.
    CAgirl1

Thx!!! will now look that up.

Sounds like fun but I may need to pass on this one. I will be lurking!

Not sure about the multiple sizes thing. I would only like to swap 12.5" blocks so this swap is probably not going to work for me. Will lurk and see what everyone creates!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

OK Count me in for 2 sets.

Blog Entries
    Sounds good ladies, Maybe when I get my Summertime quilt pieced I can tip the scales in favor of joining the swap. I have my blocks pretty much prepped and waiting till the weekend to work on the others. (Swap out of blocks.) It is a lot of fun to join the blocks together. So, maybe we will capture a few lurkers.

Lurk away ladies.

Cuppy and Deecee, I have you signed up.

Thanks Judith.

Autumn is not my usual thing so I will have to put my thinking cap on and shuffle out of my comfort zone.

I am in too, judith! Not sure how many sets yet, but, I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for hosting again!
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I was going to lurk, Judith, then decided: JOIN! & see how far I can get (# of sets)...after all, I did get a 12.5" ruler for those ghost blocks that now exist only in pixels.

Not sure how many sets I will do until I find some block inspiration.

Glad to see you taking the plunge again K-Roll.

Okay girls, here are my prototypes of my first two blocks. What do you think? Both blocks will trim out to be the 9 1/2" size.

Just wondering here judith, do the blocks gave to be square? Or can they be like a combination of the sizes? Say a 6 1/2" x 12 1/2" or a 9 1/2 x 12 1/2"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I just re-read the rules. I guess they are all square whichever size block you make. ... Never mind.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Red, those are fabulous!!! I love them.

Yes Red, I prefer them to be square. But, if your making some for you own quilt, feel free to add them in.

I confess, I haven't even started any blocks yet. I'm right in the middle of finishing up a quilt top that only needs 1 more square made for it. It is an old BOM (Block of the Month) that I found online a couple years ago and started it last year. But, hey, it is almost a finished top.. I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed making the blocks. But, the tutorials weren't written the best. (I really like when they tell give you the finished block sizes on the "different parts" that make the whole block. And, that you can download the instructions as a PDF. I had to keep each link to the block I was working on until I completed the blocks. It is definitely a real skill builder. It would be a big stretch for a beginner quilter. No impossible, but, difficult for sure.

Gosh Red, you are quick off the mark. Love your blocks.

I had better check my meager stash for autumn colours and rack my brains for inspiration.

I just found some fabric that has tiny images of items you gather for a thanksgiving meal on a cream background. It even has a cooked turkey on a platter. I thought, "Hey this would be dang cute as a apron block. Because it looks kinda retro." I remember them from some time back, but I didn't copy a pattern down at the time. Anyone remember those? I liked them, but I don't know if it would be okay for a fall quilt. What do you girls think? I love baking in the fall.

I have a pattern and specialty ruler (that comes with it) that was from elenore burns that is either a colorful leaf or a turkey block. I want to try and find it and use it for this swap too. I looked last night with no luck. I am determined though ... LOL!
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-06-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Red I love your fall block! I have a pumpkin button that would be adorable as the center of the "A". I know I said I wasn't going to do this I think I may need too.

Love those Fall colors and blocks. I am finishing up a squirrel. I also have some leaves, for the 2cd block.

Turkeys, squirrels??? That made me stop and think about our geographical differences.

Blog Entries
    Actually Red, I think an Apron Fall Black would be adorable. And, it's definitely thinking outside the box. What do you other girls think? I think it will add great variety as well!

Dee, Yes, I would guess that our Fall and your Fall could be very different because of our geographic location.

Could you imagine the difference in say Italy, Japan or really anywhere else outside the US?! Our swap blocks would be very diverse and have an International flair.

GracefulAnn, I love your thought on a Pumpkin button for the middle of the "A" in Fall. But, a small applique would work as well if you didn't have a button.

Red, I have been contemplating a Sunflower also. But, in a very different way. But, the fabric I want is still out of stock. If they get it in soon I will still go on with that Idea too. If not, I'm sure that I can come up with something.

I've actually been thinking of making a "Basket" block. With Apples in it. There are like a dozen different basket blocks to choose from.

A cornucopia is a good idea also. But, it is not on my list of things to make unless I find an inspiration that I can base my design off of. (This would be a stretch for me.)

Hi girls! I went ahead and made up a pattern for the blocks and got as far as ironing them to a background yesterday afternoon. We will see if you all like them. If you don't I will put them away for something else.

I have a squirrel, sunflower, apron, fall and the turkey/leaf blocks kitted and planned as yet. I problem is, I am finding so many ideas I don't know where to stop. Fall is my favorite season.

I plan on making a small yo yo or a button to send with each of the fall blocks, but I know you creative ladies can change it up to make it your own easy enough. That is what is fun about these swaps.

Judith, you are a really great hostess. Thanks for being so nice to us. The thing about people making blocks of the same subject is that no two would be alike anyway. I wanted to use my embroidery program to make that center to the sunflower to give it dimension. Then I used a quilting templet to mark the petals around before cutting it out. It was something a little different for me and fun.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-07-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Gracefulann, Do you have hedge hogs there? I just think they are adorable! I am glad you and k roll are joining in the fun. It is truely out of season to do the fall swap now for us too, but, really fun. This is our spring.

I am in love with transportation blocks! The bikes, trailers, trucks, scooters and such would all fit into any season. Right? Or houses, people, animals too. Fall is when our school begins so anything related to that works. Is veteran's day and labor day in there too? Bird house gourds, wagons for gardening, quilt shows and craft fairs all fall withing these months. There is so much about fall that is fun.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast