Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   January Batik Disappearing 4 Patch Swap - sign-ups closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/january-batik-disappearing-4-patch-swap-sign-ups-closed-t237082.html)

Gannyrosie 01-07-2014 09:19 AM

Oh, for those having issue's. Try using Google. I've never have the issue's you all seem to be having with Windows.

jaba 01-07-2014 09:33 AM

It's fine with me, I always recheck the blocks I get anyway to make sure they are the size . Learned the hard way assuming everyone would make a 12 1/2" block on a swap and had a horrible time getting the quilt right.

Groovy Pieces 01-07-2014 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Gannyrosie;6498552]Okay, I tried one block, never did these before, I cut accurate 5 inch squares. Made sure my seam allowance was 1/4. But my block is not 8.5. It's more like 8.25. What did I do wrong? Someone help. [ATTACH=CONFIG]455308[/ATTACH][/Q

GannyRosie . . . This is what I've learned about my machine: I have the Smarter By Pfaff & can move my needle left or right some 12 (maybe more) needle positions, which is set at 7.0 for a scant 1/4" seam & I use 50wt thread. If you don't feel comfortable moving your needle, cut your squares at 5.25" or 5.5", sew the regular 1/4" seam, & when totally done with block cut/trim down to 8.5".

Hope this helps. . . GP
:)

givio 01-07-2014 10:45 AM

Grannierose, My husband doesn't want to use Google Chrome... I don't want to use Windows 8-- but there you have it. My husband thinks Windows 7 will pass into history like all the others and he's making me get used to Windows 8 so I can move into the future. :-)
Regarding the block size, the tutorial says to sew a scant 1/4" seam. If you are cutting 5" squares, you won't get the 8 1/2" block if you sew 1/4" seams. I believe it doesn't compute! :-) Either cut your squares bigger or sew your seams smaller to solve the problem.
I don't have such a large square up ruler either. But you can use a 4" x 15" ruler (or whatever size long ruler you have) and use the lines on your mat to square up blocks too. You just have to move the ruler to cut each side.
Anyone having trouble sewing this pattern might like to think twice about the February Valentine swap. I made a practice block for that swap (using the tutorial for the D4P with a twist pattern) and found that with all the cuts and seams on the diagonal, sewing and ironing can be tricky because of all the bias edges! My block was more wavy than I liked.
Just a reminder... everyone is welcome, any skill level! :-) Have fun!

givio 01-07-2014 10:50 AM

TLynn, So how did your morning go? :-) Sorry to hear about your Christmas cactus! We take in our potted geraniums from the yard every year and nurture them indoors so they are blooming again for Christmas. It's so sweet to have flowers in the house. :-)
We have another snow day today. I hope the place I work opens tomorrow...

TLynn 01-07-2014 11:15 AM

Aw, things are going much better today than yesterday! Thanks for asking. I repotted the cactus so now it has room to grow. I love flowers! We have snow on the ground but none in the air - just bitterly cold here.

Gannyrosie 01-07-2014 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=Groovy Pieces;6498901]

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie (Post 6498552)
Okay, I tried one block, never did these before, I cut accurate 5 inch squares. Made sure my seam allowance was 1/4. But my block is not 8.5. It's more like 8.25. What did I do wrong? Someone help. [ATTACH=CONFIG]455308[/ATTACH][/Q

GannyRosie . . . This is what I've learned about my machine: I have the Smarter By Pfaff & can move my needle left or right some 12 (maybe more) needle positions, which is set at 7.0 for a scant 1/4" seam & I use 50wt thread. If you don't feel comfortable moving your needle, cut your squares at 5.25" or 5.5", sew the regular 1/4" seam, & when totally done with block cut/trim down to 8.5".

Hope this helps. . . GP
:)

I did two more, moving the needle for everyone, now I have it where I can square up to 8.5. I received a flyer in the mail yesterday (just noticed) they have their tools at a discount. I guess I'll be off tomorrow (warmer) and will get a bigger square to square them off. Ya'll have been so helpful, thanks to all who gave me advise.

pbadder 01-07-2014 05:09 PM

Hi everyone, I decided to try another way to upload my block. I went to albums and started a new one and guess what it let me put the picture of the block for my first set. You are all welcome to go and take a peek. That is where I will be putting my photos. album name Disappearing 4 Patch Blocks made. Check it out and let me know what you think.

jaba 01-07-2014 06:52 PM

pbadder, I went to your album and it is there but no pics in it....says it's empty.

pbadder 01-07-2014 10:22 PM

I put it back in forgot to save changes last time. try again and let me know what you think thanks