Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   January - June 2021 Round Robin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/january-june-2021-round-robin-t313692.html)

Macybaby 01-16-2021 02:00 PM

Carrie, if it's just a bit too short, feel free to trim down the border of the center if that will make it work. You can always add a strip on the outside to get it back to where it should be.

I'm struggling with ideas for Mona's r2 center. I think it's because it's mostly purple and that is one color I struggle with. I found a purple that should work for the background, and I've pulled out my stack of Kaffe Fasset prints to work with. Trying to figure out something using flying geese, and curves . . .

Reba - love what you've done, I'm a big fan of turning on point like that.

Mona G 01-16-2021 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts (Post 8453111)
I finished my on-point border for Mona’s center today. I wanted to put It on point because putting a center on point early on, makes for smaller corner triangles. I thought floral, and the most obvious choice is a thistle with the colors and spikes. (Nod to Jackie & Scotland). As it turns out, I had some of the same purple fabric that Mona used, so I tied it together & used it. Woo hoo! This birdie flies overseas on Monday!

I LOVE it!!!!!

Mona G 01-16-2021 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8453117)
Carrie, if it's just a bit too short, feel free to trim down the border of the center if that will make it work. You can always add a strip on the outside to get it back to where it should be.

I'm struggling with ideas for Mona's r2 center. I think it's because it's mostly purple and that is one color I struggle with. I found a purple that should work for the background, and I've pulled out my stack of Kaffe Fasset prints to work with. Trying to figure out something using flying geese, and curves . . .

Reba - love what you've done, I'm a big fan of turning on point like that.

I like green and purple together.

petthefabric 01-16-2021 02:15 PM

rebaquiltws; thanks for the on point idea.

hav4boys 01-16-2021 03:51 PM

Absolutely gorgeous!

I finished my on-point border for Mona’s center today. I wanted to put It on point because putting a center on point early on, makes for smaller corner triangles. I thought floral, and the most obvious choice is a thistle with the colors and spikes. (Nod to Jackie & Scotland). As it turns out, I had some of the same purple fabric that Mona used, so I tied it together & used it. Woo hoo! This birdie flies overseas on Monday!

carriem 01-16-2021 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RebaQuilts, great corners on Mona's center! So pretty. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Well I took all the green/gold triangle sets off the big triangles, re-cut the big triangles and now I am 1/2" too big...I really have no idea what I am doing wrong, but I solved that with a tiny 1/4" border...it works now. I have all the blocks done and starting to add them to the center. I should have it completed to share tomorrow...here are the fabrics I am working with.

jacquie 01-17-2021 01:20 AM

Oooowww that has turned out beautifully!!!! Well done 😃😍👍🏻

can you tell me the exact size please before you send it? That really helps me plan ahead... also if you can keep letting me know all the sizes of the quilt tops as you prepare to send 😉☺️ Many thanks in advance!!! xxx

Macybaby 01-18-2021 04:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here is a sneak peak for Mona's r2 center. I'm going to go with flying geese, and the "geese" will be assorted KF prints.

I'm still undecided if I should use all purple for the background, or use purple on one side and green on the other. If I did the two colors, I'd do the edges of the geese so that there would be green against the purple and purple against the green. So the curved line along the geese would be two different fabrics and very noticeable. If I go all purple than only the geese will be noticeable. The problem with bringing in the green is then I can't use bright green/yellows in the geese as that hides the pattern. I do have lots of other colors to use, and have a stack of fat quarters if I don't have enough of an assortment with scraps.

So what do you all think - solid purple with floating geese, or purple/green with a noticeable geese band? The only thing I determined is it does look much better with the purple to the inside.

jacquie 01-18-2021 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8453631)
here is a sneak peak for Mona's r2 center. I'm going to go with flying geese, and the "geese" will be assorted KF prints.

I'm still undecided if I should use all purple for the background, or use purple on one side and green on the other. If I did the two colors, I'd do the edges of the geese so that there would be green against the purple and purple against the green. So the curved line along the geese would be two different fabrics and very noticeable. If I go all purple than only the geese will be noticeable. The problem with bringing in the green is then I can't use bright green/yellows in the geese as that hides the pattern. I do have lots of other colors to use, and have a stack of fat quarters if I don't have enough of an assortment with scraps.

So what do you all think - solid purple with floating geese, or purple/green with a noticeable geese band? The only thing I determined is it does look much better with the purple to the inside.

i like your idea and I myself like the solid purple with floating geese. It’ll certainly be deliciously colourful 😃👍🏻 Beautiful idea!! Looking forward to seeing your design come alive 😍😍😍

carriem 01-18-2021 05:47 AM

Macybaby, I like the green and purple...it adds more. I think having the green on the outside will help the next person be able to pull out colors from the center and your geese to use in their border.