Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/june-9-patch-block-swap-signups-t296930.html)

moonrise 07-02-2018 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my package today! I think I've left feedback for all who swapped with me, but if I missed anyone, just holler. Below is a quick pic of some of my favorite squares. No sloth block, but just look at these pretties! :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597059[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 07-02-2018 03:19 PM

Wowzer... those are gorgeous! Thanks for the photo, moon...

Honchey 07-03-2018 12:38 PM

They are indeed lovely. I'll be oohing and aahing on Monday when I pick up my mail... Can't wait!!

Whigrose 07-03-2018 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=moonrise;8086650] Below is a quick pic of some of my favorite squares.

moonrise,
Very pretty, and colorful blocks indeed! And look how wonderful they line up. Nice work, gals.

Whigrose~

Cheesehead 07-03-2018 03:28 PM

I was to my local Joann's store and literally combed the novelty fabric and was unable to locate the sloths. I even looked in the clearance area but still no luck.

Moonrise, so pretty to see the colorful blocks together!

givio 07-03-2018 05:18 PM

moonrise, great 'computer stitching'! Have you decided what you machine stitching you will do with your blocks yet?

moonrise 07-03-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8087377)
moonrise, great 'computer stitching'! Have you decided what you machine stitching you will do with your blocks yet?

No idea yet. :) I've still got the blocks from the last swap sitting here staring at me, so there are two big piles to play with. I really like Snowball Nine Patch quilts, so maybe I'll do one of those. :D

givio 07-03-2018 06:59 PM

I haven't done a snowball block in a quilt yet, and I want to use it sometime. I've saved some idea for that. :-)

sewbizgirl 07-05-2018 07:13 AM

Hi Ladies... Hope you all had a nice Independence Day!

I also hope you are all still following this thread and reading along, even tho it's slowed down now that we are done with swap #2. There is an issue I need to address before swap #3.

I've asked for honest feedback from anyone who was disappointed in the blocks they received and the consensus is that all the fabrics and combinations are beautiful! Yay for y'all for choosing great fabrics. However, I have received complaints about way too many blocks coming in too small. I had about 15 to alter in what I got, to bring them up to size.

This makes me wonder how you all are measuring... the problem may lie in that. If you finish a block and lay it on top of your ruler, you will not get an accurate sizing. You must lay the block flat and then put the ruler on top of the block. Back the ruler up to one corner and you will quickly see if your block is running short in either or both directions. If it is, fix it. Do not send out blocks that you know to be too small.

With these blocks, you must sew a scant 1/4" seam or you block will be too small. Find the place you need to line up your edges with to get a scant 1/4" seam and stick to it! I make my blocks from strips, and when I get the 3 strips sewn and pressed, that is when I measure for 6.5" width uniformly down my strip set. If it runs shy anywhere, I alter the seam there and take the original stitching out, and re-press. That is the easiest time to fix those shortages.

Another culprit could be that you aren't cutting accurately. Be sure the 2.5" line on your ruler is up on the edge of the fabric, not hanging off of it. You need the width of that line on the fabric to get an accurate cut.

We are going to have to do better in our next swap. If you cannot agree to ensure you are sending out fully 6.5" squares, then please don't ask to join. It's just not fair to others who have taken pains to make 6.5" blocks to send.

If you don't have a 6.5" ruler, use a JoAnn's coupon and buy one. That is the most accurate way to check and trim your blocks. All blocks should arrive neatly trimmed to 6.5" and no less.

Size, size, size! It's always important in a block swap, but even more so when the block are small. Check every block (under a ruler!) before you send them out.

I am going to be tapping you on the shoulder in a pm if I've had complaints about your block size. I won't embarrass anyone here, but if I've gotten feedback that your blocks are small, I will let you know, so you can make improvements next time. Some swappers are shy about direct confrontation.... Those who's small blocks I personally received have already heard from me.

Thank you for listening to the lecture... again. :eek: I'm sure with a little more care, we will have a great swap next time.

Cheesehead 07-05-2018 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those that are still interested in sloths, I found this fabric this morning at Joann Fabrics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]597250[/ATTACH]