Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Pincushion Swap - July 2017 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/pincushion-swap-july-2017-a-t289499.html)

redstilettos 07-17-2017 07:04 AM

Carolyn,

I think this is an absolutely Adorable idea for a swap! Personally, I've never made one, but after thinking on this over the weekend I think it might be a good idea to try. I have a new sewing "studio", so this would be a cute way to decorate it, don't you think? :)

I took a look online and there are a ton of different ideas out there. It makes me want to try them all! LOL My PM is sent.

Looks like we'll be mailing them out the first week in August, so that gives me about 2 weeks to get it done. Shouldn't be too bad.

Question though: does it matter what we "stuff" them with? Someone mentioned not to use crushed walnut shells because of allergies, but the batting and steel wool weren't addressed.

What is everyone else planning on using?

m-fay 07-18-2017 05:53 PM

Ill be using stuffing as I know Australian customs , because of quarantine, don't allow in certain things. I don't know the quarantine rules for other countries, but stuffing is the best choice for me.

m-fay 07-20-2017 05:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the first time I've made a pin cushion, though I have 3. So this ones ready to post, the next one will take me longer to make...going to love doing these[ATTACH=CONFIG]576844[/ATTACH]

jlt37869 07-20-2017 05:25 AM

Thanks, m-fay! I'll do stuffing as well. Your pin cushion is adorable!!!

jaba 07-20-2017 01:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Very nice m-fay, love the embroidery. About a year or so ago klaws ran the pin cushion and needlecase swap for a few years. We never had a problem with anyone using walnut shells, if you get them in the pet store they are bleached and washed so all of the oil is taken out of them. We did learn that if you use the stuffing be sure and stuff them really thick so they are heavy enough. It also helps if you put some sort of weight in the bottom. Just a suggestion. When you fill out your PM you might note if you are allergic...I ask this also because I am very allergic to cats. Most everyone has marked my packages so I know.
Hope you can see these pics, this is some of the ones I have collected from the previous swap. They sit on the ledge above my design walls[ATTACH=CONFIG]576874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]576875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]576876[/ATTACH]

Armylady2012 07-20-2017 03:15 PM

Caroline, is the swap themed or is it just free choice.

klaws 07-20-2017 06:29 PM

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the pincushions made in the last swaps, you can go to the albums in my profile. I made a collage of all pincushions. I haven't updated my albums in a very long time. I guess I need to do that.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/members/klaws-u129058-albums19219.html

Armylady2012 07-21-2017 04:15 AM

Jaba and Klaws very nice Pincushions. Jaba you said that you should put some weight in the bottom of the pincushions so it would be heavy enough, what do you use? I am thinking maybe some small decorative rocks or some washers. What do you think about using either of those?

jaba 07-21-2017 02:13 PM

I think either one would work. The only reason I suggested some weight is because I received a couple of them that when I tried to remove a pin, the whole pin cushion came up off the table. Not good, just frustrating, or at least it was for me:) Personally, I do use the walnut shells, I love how it keeps my pins sharp. If anyone is allergic, you need to voice that or that is what you will receive from me.

m-fay 07-21-2017 04:18 PM

Thanks for sharing your pictures of pincushions Java and klaus. They all look so good and such a range of ideas. I love that caravan one. I will use walnut shells if I can find them and put a note in for customs with the walnut packet...vickiM sent me something once and it turned out to be an expensive excercise as customs couldn't identify the stuffing!