Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   round/row robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/round-row-robins-t279305.html)

Ripped on Scotch 06-14-2016 06:53 AM

I would love to do another Round robin. I think the best option is to send us the person that we mail to. I'm sorry but I don't think we need to make more work for the organizer, we shouldn't have to mail to them to mail it out again... we are adults and should be able to handle mailing it out only once. not to mention I'm international.... it would cost me SO much more to do it the way you are suggesting

QuilterMomma 06-14-2016 07:50 AM

There are pros and cons to both sides of how to move the rows along. It is important to be sure that you mail your row on time and to the person it has to go to. On one row robin I was in, someone did not send the rows on and a person was without her quilt. I do not want that to happen if I took this upon myself. The other one I did everyone was so efficient on their mailings. Downside, in one package, three rows were lost in the mail and they had to be redone. That was heart breaking. So there is no perfect way.
Let me get my notes together and visit with Mariposa. If we get 10 participants, we can do two at the same time. That is five in each group.

In the mean time, be thinking of a theme you would like your quilt, whether sewing, circles, a bookcase, colors, ocean themed, flower wall, etc.

Ukinusa 06-14-2016 07:51 AM

I have two thoughts about this. Firstly I agree that it probably would be cheaper to mail to one location and then have the complete set of rows mailed back to us at the end.
My second thought is if we dont get the previous rows, it will be much harder to match up colours etc, i know we can see a photo but the colours dont always show true.

QuilterMomma 06-14-2016 07:52 AM

Agreed Stephanie.

travelinggramma 06-14-2016 10:56 AM

I haven't ever done a row robin - just a couple round robins. One didn't go so good. It would be good to know someone's track record in swapping, meeting obligations, etc.
If the colors were not too specific, it could work. Patriotic, Autumn, etc.
Another possibility would to send out color samples to the four who would be adding a row at a price of a stamp.

terriamn 06-14-2016 11:41 AM

I would love to join in. Unfortunately I was one of those unlucky folks who never received my round robin back. Still worth taking the plunge.

QuilterMomma 06-14-2016 12:48 PM

Wow, may come up with another idea of how to handle rows. There are 14 thus far who are interested.
Some things to ponder:
Will be an 8 month committment
Can be approximately $56 in postage plus more because of Canada participants
Creativity and accuracy are important
Fabric from stash be used as much as possible
Potential of not getting quilt back
Must communicate fluently with members

These are just the toppers that come to play. It truly breaks my heart when people do not stay with their commitment. That is what this is, a large commitment.

Mona G 06-14-2016 04:55 PM

I'm game for either option regarding mailing. I also like the option of being able to arrange the rows in the order wanted.
I'd also prefer to have a total of 7 rows but if we don't get that many interested I can always add a couple more myself.

zzmom 06-14-2016 06:36 PM

I would be interested in this too. I have only participated in 2 round robins and enjoyed the process of both.

Annaquilts 06-15-2016 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma (Post 7576951)
If the colors were not too specific, it could work. Patriotic, Autumn, etc.
Another possibility would to send out color samples to the four who would be adding a row at a price of a stamp.

Yes this on the colors, send out samples or stick to a theme color scheme.