Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #10 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/row-robin-2012-2013-group-10-a-t200782.html)

Wonnie 03-29-2013 05:10 PM

Have never done a round robin...how does that differ from a RRR?

MaryLane 03-29-2013 06:22 PM

Well, I went to nursing school in 1984-85. I missed math and chemistry too much and after surgery rotation I changed my major to Chemistry. I then made money tutoring nursing students in chemistry.

Wonnie 03-29-2013 07:27 PM

Oh, I so admire you. I really, really didn't like Chemistry. Of all the elements we had to learn I've probably used 10 in my career. And I didn't carry litmus paper in my pocket to see if a liquid was either acidic or alkaline. My teacher was very nice but didn't make it at all interesting and don't think any of us were enthused enough to go any further with it. So, as I said, I really admire you for having pursued it. I graduated from a hospital school of nursing...3 years summer, winter, spring and fall. Think we got a week off at Christmas each year. We did mostly 10 day rotations...either 7-3, 3-11 or 11-7...the hardest part was working nights and going to class from 8-4, study then to work at 11P, off at 7:30 A and back to class at 8A and then repeat the process x 10 days.

mimim 03-30-2013 04:43 AM

You are all incredible ladies. I'm hanging onto my 50"s and remember when I started college, a woman usually had nurse, secretary, or teacher to choose from. There were very few in accounting, but I loved math and chemistry, and chose accounting.
Times have really changed in opportunites for women. I so admire people like you who have a gift of mercy and comfort .
Just my thoughts for the day....:)

MaryLane 03-30-2013 05:15 AM

Barbara, I am 48. My mother graduated hs in '62. She was told girls couldn't do chemistry. So my choice of major frightened her. She did her aid training at a hospital like Yvonne. Didn't think she was smart enough to be a nurse. My final year of college she said if I could work, go to college, raise kids and help on the farm surely she could handle LPN training. She was the last nursing student I tutored. She completed in 1990. She was 46.

Yvonne, I have worked in pharmaceuticals and food production. Haven't used litmus since hs!

Wonnie 03-30-2013 06:02 AM

My chemistry lab was in a depressing room in the hospital basement reminiscent of the old Frankenstein movies and all I got OUT of Chemistry was the desire to be OUT...he, he:D. What a difference a few years make. Good for you, Mary.
I liked math, Barbara. Have any of you ever heard of "casting out 9's" as a way of double checking if a column of addition was correct? Now, THAT should date me!...yet I still use it today. I worry about my grandchildren who were taught to just use the calculator. What happens if you're testing and the battery dies?

You "kiddies" are the ages of my children...47, 49, 51, 53!

ssnare 03-30-2013 07:49 AM

Answering the question of what is a round robin vs row robin. A round robin is where you make a center for your top. It can be a panel or something you create. Then each person in the group adds a border. Each border for example, can be from 3 1/2" wide to 9 1/2" wide. Or the borders can be a specific size, which is increased with each border. Each border needs to be worked in some way, which means it can be pieced, appliqued, embroidered, something added in the corners or in the center of the row. A border should not be just a single strip of fabric added to the center. However, borders do need to be attached. You can't send them separate like we did with some of the blocks and rows.

On

Wonnie 03-30-2013 09:00 AM

I wonder if that's what Jane meant by row robin? I thought she meant as in No. 2 of my suggestions. YooHoo....Jane....where are you?

Have questions....Doesn't that get to be a little pricey for the person who has the last couple of rows?
Do you end up with your own quilt?
Does the center have to be small as in a panel or is there a specific range of sizes for the center?
Is this more for a wall hanging than a bed size quilt?
Then what is a "block swap" and what do you end up with?
Inquiring minds want to know:confused:

oldcatlady 03-30-2013 09:02 AM

I've been following your thread, love to see all the pics :)
I'm an RN, too. I think there are a lot of us on the board.
I wanted to do a round robin and was hoping to join the next one when the last one was finished but if I remember correctly there was a lot of problems with the last one and they decided not to do another one so I was glad when I was able to get into this row robin replacing someone. I would definitely be interested in doing one when this RR is over. Maybe by then the hostess will have reconsidered and will do another one or if you plan on doing one by yourselves and need another person, keep me in mind :)

Originally Posted by ssnare (Post 5965360)
Answering the question of what is a round robin vs row robin. A round robin is where you make a center for your top. It can be a panel or something you create. Then each person in the group adds a border. Each border for example, can be from 3 1/2" wide to 9 1/2" wide. Or the borders can be a specific size, which is increased with each border. Each border needs to be worked in some way, which means it can be pieced, appliqued, embroidered, something added in the corners or in the center of the row. A border should not be just a single strip of fabric added to the center. However, borders do need to be attached. You can't send them separate like we did with some of the blocks and rows.

On

Wonnie 03-30-2013 09:24 AM

Guess I'm behind times oldcatlady.....were there problems? Must have missed reading about it. Nice of you to respond and follow our thread. Have had a ball with this. My son can't understand how I can put so much time into something I'm going to send away to someone else :). Will definitely keep you in mind. Have a great day!