Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   September 2009 Doll Quilt Swap - Signup Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/september-2009-doll-quilt-swap-signup-closed-t24532.html)

KGoodhand 09-09-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by KGoodhand
They are indeed my daughters! They are 8 and 5!

Ils sont tres belle!!

Je d'accord!

Well I can't answer if french, but I am in complete agreement with you ....about 98% of the time!!!!

Blue Bell 09-09-2009 11:33 AM

Esqmommy,
What a fantastic quilt Rhonda made for you. I love it.
Blue Bell

NorBanaquilts 09-09-2009 12:36 PM

esqmommy-what a cute little treasure you received.

Esqmommy 09-09-2009 09:25 PM

To all who noted how lucky I am -- I KNOW!!!! I love love love my little quilt and feel so thrilled to have recieved it. I promise to treasure it always.

Quilt4u 09-10-2009 01:54 AM

amma I'm all most done with the hand quilting. Would have been done last weekend .But DH needed most of my time. ( The big baby ) Got to love him. Will be in the mail next weekend.

gaigai 09-10-2009 04:48 AM

Well I can't answer if french, but I am in complete agreement with you ....about 98% of the time!!!!

Well shame on me for assuming just because you live in Canada you speak French. Sorry about that! :wink:

I said your daughters are beautiful!!

KGoodhand 09-10-2009 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Well shame on me for assuming just because you live in Canada you speak French. Sorry about that! :wink:

I said your daughters are beautiful!!

Well to be honest I can understand some French but to speak it or write it! HAHAHAHA My teachers would be ashamed!!!
But thank you for the compliment about my daughters! As cute as they are, they can be just as NOT cute!!! The joys of kids!!!

Rhonda 09-10-2009 06:37 AM

I must confess. I had 3 years of french and 4 years of Spanish. I keep up with my spanish some but the French is more just bits and pieces. I can read alot more than I can speak it. My vocabulary in both has deteriorated over the years. I couldn't hold a conversation in French if I had to. Spanish maybe but I used to think in Spanish and now I can't do that anymore at least not more than some basic phrases I use alot like -donde estas o donde es mi zapatos? where are you or where are my shoes? --I am always losing things.
My favorite phrases I use with my kids and grands is je ne sais pas(I don't know) or no lo quiero( I don't want to!) my kids know those phrases well!
I use to speak to my kids in spanish so most people wouldn't know I was disciplining them in the store. Back then we didn't have many spanish speaking people living here. Now there are a lot of people who would know what I was saying to them.
I majored in languages in college with the intention of becoming a translator or a teacher but I got married quit college and that is the story!

k3n 09-10-2009 06:45 AM

Ha like the disciplining in Spanish! I've used French while in England like that - once, the kids were on a climbing frame and Lily was only 4. There was a sign saying no children under 5 which Joey read out loud then started shouting to me that Lily wasn't allowed; I told him in French to keep his trap shut and no one would know - otherwise there'd have been tears! It wasn't that big a frame anyway and she climbs like a monkey!

It's really hard to learn a language without living in the country - I had French at school up til age 18 - but its only since I've lived here that I've got fluent to the stage of having a conversation; so hats off to you! :D

Mi espanol es muy poco! As you can tell by that comment, I'm sure! :lol:

Rhonda 09-10-2009 07:08 AM

My spanish is more Mexican in nature than Spain. I think I could still make myself understood tho.
My 3rd year of spanish in high school was taught by a great teacher. The class was set up so we had 3 days a week 2hour classes so we went places during the class time and we had to think in spanish. We weren't allowed to speak english to anyone not even the janitor during that time.
She sent us on errands around town one time and we had a letter we could present if needed but we had to do our assigned task with out using any english. My task was to go to the courthouse and get a copy of my birth certificate. No english allowed! We had the most fun! She took us to her apartment and fixed a Spanish breakfast and we had a ball.
I read as much Spanish as I can. I try to keep up with it. But my french is not as good. When you don't really have anyone to talk to it is harder to retain.
I do teach my grands some phrases and stuff. But they have learned alot from tv. Zach has been learning some chinese off of one of the cartoons here.
I have an uncle who is a college dean of jounalism. He lived in Russia and traveled all over europe as a foreign correspondant with a US newspaper. He used to teach me some Russian and German when I was little. I guess it stuck with me. He speaks at least 7 differant languages. He encouraged me to learn and he taught me to play chess when I was 5.
Their second son was born in Moscow. I was supposed to get to visit them when they were based in Spain for a year but it never happened. There were alot of hijacking of the planes and my parents wouldn't let me go. My mom says I am alot like my uncle. We share alot of the same likes and dislikes.