Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Sign Up for Boomerang 28 Block Swap! Closes 9/10/22 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/sign-up-boomerang-28-block-swap-closes-9-10-22-a-t318987.html)

sewbizgirl 08-28-2022 02:12 PM

Updated roster. As always, let me know if there are any errors.

2 month swap;
Terriamn
Sewbizgirl
Hav4boys
RebaQuilts
Travelinggramma
Petthefabric
Lstew2212
Duckling

3 month swap:
JaniceMcC
Terriamn
Sewbizgirl
Bibliostone
Hav4boys
MJPEncinitas
RebaQuilts
Ibex94
Travelinggramma
Petthefabric
Lstew2212
Cheesehead
Marcialee

sewbizgirl 08-28-2022 11:01 PM

In preparation for block making, here's a refresher on where to find great, free blocks online:

https://www.quiltingdaily.com/free-q...ls-quilting-3/
https://www.patchworksquare.com/index.php
https://www.generations-quilt-patter...-patterns.html
https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore46.html

Plus there are many books with 12" block patterns in them (12.5" unfinished). The "Around the Block" series by Judy Hopkins are favorites. So are the "100 Blocks" issues of Quiltmaker magazine and the compilation of 10 of them in the big volume, "Quiltmaker's 1000 blocks".
Kansas City Star Quilts Sampler contains traditional patterns from the newspaper.

I have bought many quilt books used, from Thriftbooks.com. I always check there first.

Let us know your favorite sources.

terriamn 08-29-2022 05:55 AM

I will go next, I am Terriamn and have also been participating in the booms for years and years. Not sure which boom I started with. A year ago we turned our lives upside down and moved from my home of 47 years in the city to a small town 90 minutes west. We, my husband and I love it here. I have 4 adult children and 5 grandchildren spread across the US. Two years ago we officially became snowbirds buying a trailer in a 55+ Park in Mission Texas and last year before coming home we purchased a house. Will be starting from scratch creating a sewing room/ guest room. Most of my quilts are also donations or gifts but right now I’m trying to finish up some of my own quilts. Love seeing how everyone can take the same fabric and come up with such different and interesting blocks. Exciting to see new names along with all the veteran friends joining in. Welcome back Cheesehead!

petthefabric 08-29-2022 07:02 AM

My first boom was last year. Our house was for sale. Got the fabrics, stitched them up, sent them in and waited for the house to sell. When it went into escrow, all focus went into moving. Blocks were distributed while we traveled. They went to daughter. They were a welcome transition from California to Florida.

this summer has been finding a new pattern to days and weeks. Even in Florida, water is restricted. We can water the lawn 1 day/wk. Mowing is the day before. 2/3 days it rains p.m., so p.m. is inside.

We downsized from 3 acres to 1/3 acre. My closet is 1/3 the size. And so it goes. Found a fabulous church. Have more time with daughter. Neighbors are nice. Long haired dog is doing OK in the heat.

Joined 2 quilt groups. Social life for me is far better here.

Husband is thrilled to help daughter with their horses. He had no hobbies. Now his retirement is active. He seems to love shopping for groceries, what a surprise.

Sewing started before I was 10. Been quilting 30 yrs. Since all the quilts I’ll ever need have already been made, most of my quilts go to charity. For fun, I make art quilts. And of course for our new house, I’ll make new ones.

The fabric is cut for both groups. When daughter is here, pix will be posted.

terriamn 08-29-2022 08:31 AM

Pet it is great to hear your transition is going so well. My hubby said he needed another hobby besides reading and brewing beer, he decided to purchase a keyboard and is teaching himself to once again read music and play the keys. So glad your dh loves working with your dd’s horses and is enjoying Florida.

It is an absolute glorious day here in Minnesota

Rebaquilts 08-29-2022 09:00 AM

Hi everyone ;-)

2 Attachment(s)
Like Petthefabric, this last Boom was my first. It was very fun and exciting to see people post my blocks as the boom went along and the results were fantastic. I've been sewing since I was 12 and quilting for more than 30 years. I have 3 adult children, two of whom are living at home, attending college, working and saving money for houses. My significant other and I have been together for almost 10 years, he is a caregiver for his mother, and I still have kids at home, so when the time is right, we will retire someplace warm too!! I just recently moved my sewing room from the former master bedroom into the smallest bedroom. It was good to declutter and to take stock of my projects, UFOs, and upgrade my sewing furniture. I have 3 fur babies, a ruby Cavalier dog named CJ, a rescued odd-eyed Turkish Angora cat named Lizzy Bennet, and a rescued ragdoll cat named Gabriel. Gabriel loves to plop down on my cutting table for attention when I get my fabric laid out and ready to cut. He's a smart little guy. The 2-month fabric will be for my girlfriend who lives in AU, she is a Halloween fanatic, loves pretty witches, and picked out the orange fabric, so this is her Christmas present (God willing I get it put together and quilted in time). I may use a center panel which I'm posting here for you all to see for color selection. Thanks to everyone in advance! Hugs all!

sewbizgirl 08-29-2022 09:58 AM

Love reading all the bio information! Pet and Terri, glad your hubbies are finding new things to do in their retirement. That's always good!

Reba your fabric is cute. Will you be wanting purple added to it? Or purple and yellow? Just brainstorming... will follow whatever your note says.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Rebaquilts 08-29-2022 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8564762)
Reba your fabric is cute. Will you be wanting purple added to it? Or purple and yellow?

Yes, the haunted house panel has a variety of grays to black, purple and yellow, so I think those will be good to tie into the panel. Bats, carved pumpkins, brooms, cauldrons, have fun with this one! If I do use the panel as the centerpiece, then tying in the colors will be nice.

klaws 08-29-2022 12:19 PM

Hello everyone! After the last boom swap, I mentioned that I may not be able to join in again due to my macular degeneration. I did have some trouble seeing especially if I had to use a dark or black fabric. BUT! I just can't stay away. I will miss it too much. I think I will join in the 3 month group. If I start right away and take my time, I should be able to manage. Sewbiz, I will send you an email with my information.

I've been a boomer since Boom 19 but missed Boom 20 when I moved from Florida to Ohio. I've been sewing since my teen years, made cloth dolls for many years and started quilting about 8 years ago. I have one DS, one DGS and one DGD. All of them live locally. My DGS (16) is playing JV soccer this year. My brother also lives close by. I live alone with my cat Chloe. Other than quilting, I love to read but will probably switch to audio books soon. It would be easier on my eyes. I have an eye doctor appointment in October to check the progression of my MacD and also of my cataracts. I hope things go well.

Libster, I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. I'm sending my love, thoughts and prayers to you.

sewbizgirl 08-29-2022 01:23 PM

So good to hear from you, klaws. I'm happy that you think you can manage some block making. Sorry for your eye troubles! I pray the MacD has not progressed any at all. I'll be looking for your email.