Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Sign Up May 2013 Doll Quilt Swap - Theme Quilty Chaos - Crazy Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/sign-up-may-2013-doll-quilt-swap-theme-quilty-chaos-crazy-quilts-t219288.html)

kitsykeel 06-01-2013 09:13 PM

Lisa, I love your embroidery. What a cute sewing machine. Sounds like you are enjoying your machine. Mine is not working right now and I really miss making labels on it for the doll quilts.

wanda lou 06-01-2013 11:42 PM

Thank you StephT I received my quilt today and I love it. I will post a pix soon.

Yours is on it's way!

Krystyna 06-02-2013 05:24 AM

Gaiatender, what an amazing little quilt! It is truly a classic crazy. Well done! (standing on my chair clapping)

gaiatender 06-02-2013 05:54 AM

Thank you for the kind remarks. I loved doing it. And...I can understand why so many said they wanted to keep theirs. This was the first crazy quilt attempt but it is SO addicting. It makes me all the more enviable of those classic large quilts of vintage quality and ages. I can see how they were so personalized and treasured. I have to confess. For my first two quilts I did not send any additional gifts. I went back and saw what others had done. My friend Lisa has been after to get back into quilting (she was/is my quilt teacher through our local college). She told me to look around through my "stuff" and I could come up with new, useful things others could use.
When I knew the CQ challenge was coming up I went out and got some books, literature on crazy quilts. Lisa had told me of a lady (Judith Baker Montano) who is well known for her "Elegant Stitches". My mom, who just passed a year ago had a huge library of good quality books on needle work of all types. She had been a hand-quilter for a short time, had impeccable needle skills, especially with counted cross stitch. After I had purchased my books I found a brand new copy of "Elegant Stitches," with my mom's signature in it. That one, of course I treasure now. Mom always spoke of an heirloom quilt from her mother's side of the family that one day disappeared. She was going to attempt one but never did. I know I go on and on sometimes...wanted to share my process. If you have an opportunity, check out Judith Baker Montano's website...very inspiring...also quite the character. Thank you all for sharing, love learning about everyone.

QuiltingKrazy 06-02-2013 06:28 AM

Just beautiful! Still have to work on my hand embroidery and learn more.

Vanogay 06-02-2013 07:21 AM

I did not get in the crazy quilt swap - for lots of reasons, but have so enjoyed see what each of you has come up with. I love Judith baker Montano and have some of her books. I so enjoy surface embroidery and lately have been doing more and more of it. I could almost give up quilting for just the embroidery work - almost! :p

Tulip 06-03-2013 05:46 AM

Mailed my quilt off to Quiltymom on Friday, she was such a sweetheart! I do not have the vision for crazy quilts although I love seeing everyone's. anyhow Sue gave me a suggestion to do whatever I wanted so... I hope she won't be disappointed.

Krystyna 06-03-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy (Post 6099221)
Just beautiful! Still have to work on my hand embroidery and learn more.

No more for me. In the late 60s-early 70s I completely embroidered a pair of jeans for the man who would become my first husband. It took forever and they were incredible. His mother threw them out!!!! Why? They had holes. GRRRR.

Krystyna 06-03-2013 06:13 AM

OK. Can we wrap up May? Is anyone missing a quilt?

QuilterMomma 06-03-2013 08:22 AM

I mailed on the 31st, nothing like the last minute, so hopefully she gets it today, according to PO, she should. I believe Toomanyufos mailed on Friday as well. We should be crossing paths today hopefully.