Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   sign up open for January - June 2021 Round Robin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/sign-up-open-january-june-2021-round-robin-t313479.html)

Mona G 12-14-2020 08:12 AM

This Round Robin will begin with a center medallion of approx. 18”. Each person will make their center and send it on to the next participant, who will add on a border, in the style and/or theme of the center block (or completely different but complimentary.)

Each person in turn adds another border that compliments the quilt. Once the quilt has made the rounds to all participants it is mailed back to the original owner. You will be mailing to the same person each round.

Each border should be not more than 6" wide. We are experienced quilters. If you slap on a plain border because the piece needs a plain border, add something like applique. Don't be lazy on someone else's piece.

Mail date for the centers is January 15. After that, we will mail monthly to the next participant on the list, until all borders are on. Once completed the quilts will be mailed back to their originators.

All board rules for swaps apply to this swap as well. Rules For Swaps And Similar Activities - Updated 8 December 2010 - Quiltingboard Forums

pm me your board name
real name
address
phone
email

PM me with any questions.

Mona Grimm

Annaquilts 12-14-2020 08:48 AM

I messaged you.

Mona G 12-14-2020 10:01 AM

Group 1
MonaG
Annaquilts

Mona G 12-15-2020 11:10 AM

Group 1
MonaG
RebaQuilts
Hav4boys

hav4boys 12-15-2020 11:39 AM

I am so excited for this.

Barb in Louisiana 12-15-2020 12:55 PM

I am on the sidelines again. I want to see another Round Robin before I commit. The last Round Robin was a huge learning experience for me.

sewbizgirl 12-15-2020 01:21 PM

May I make a few suggestions to help this RR run smoother than the last one? We learned a lot from that first RR!

I would suggest there be a limit on extra fabric and items sent, if the group is in agreement. This was an issue in the first RR swap. Some people only were sending the quilt top (which I recommend) and others added gobs of extra fabric to be used, journals, even a magazine. All these things being mailed so many times gets really expensive. The swap shouldn't require more than a padded FRE to mail it to the next person, except maybe in the case of the very last round. If the quilt is big it may require the more expensive box to mail that last round. Some rules such as this could help everyone be on the same page with expectations.

Also, some people have the expectation of a matchy quilt (each round matching what is already on the quilt) and others expect each round to be different. These expectations need to be discussed up front. They don't have to be the same for each person, but maybe include a note stating what you would like (matchy or differing rounds) and everyone try to live up to that.

And my last suggestion is that each member commit to reading every post in the thread. This is another thing that will help keep everyone on the same page and be aware of any changes in direction that come up. Last RR, some people missed some vital info, simply because they were not reading the thread.
Subscribe to your thread, and read new posts daily.

Mona asked for some organizational help, so there it is! My two cents....

Mona G 12-15-2020 03:34 PM

Thanks so much SBG for your comments on how to make it run smoother.

mjpEncinitas 12-16-2020 10:48 AM

I have to admit I’m tempted. However I’m worried about the time commitment. The first six months of next year are slated for booms and finishing two quilts (as I lose access to my sweet 16 in September)

SBG or anyone else who did the last round robin; . How long did it take to finish the first and last round?. I know I’ll have to triple that time to complete due to my turtle like progress in the booms. :)

But I’m retired and have more time to quilt. I end up quilting about 8 hours a week. I’m wondering how much more I would need to add each week.

thanks Mona for organizing. I would probably add an applique round to most projects. I also just bought a book on some fun 6 “ quilt squares.

Mona G 12-16-2020 10:59 AM

MJP - I'm not a fast sewer either. We have 4 weeks to finish each round, once I figured out what I was going to do the actual sewing didn't take that much time.