Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Summer 2012 Postage Stamp Squares Swap-Sign up closes 9/15/2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/summer-2012-postage-stamp-squares-swap-sign-up-closes-9-15-2012-a-t194702.html)

Samantha67 08-12-2012 05:56 PM

All are sets are now in the hands of the "Postal Gods"! Whoo Hoo!

Havplenty 08-12-2012 06:20 PM

barri the postage will all depend on how you pack the envelopes, the thinner the cheaper on postage. they have to fit through the first class letter slot for the lower fees or the envelope gets classified as a package and the postage costs more.

someone mailed me ps squares in one of the card sized envelopes (i.e. birthday card) instead of a legal sized one so she was able to spread them all out for the lower postage. i never thought to use the card sized envelopes as they are taller and have more room to spread the squares out.

with practice you will learn to package the envelopes thinner for the lower postage.:thumbup:

barri1 08-13-2012 02:47 AM

I bought small brown envelopes at Dollar Tree, and they are about the size of the b'day cards. That is why I was able to spread them out, and change the postage. I thought $.85 was good.
I have a list for my mom to take to the post office when she goes to the gym. Everything is packed for the swap. I don't have priority stamps, and I am busy as crud.

Honchey 08-13-2012 09:07 PM

Hi, I have browsed this thread several times and have decided to put my Accuquilt Go strip set to work...They do turn out perfect. I'm a little confused with several things...how do you get all 30 sets in baggies flat enough in one little envelope? Do all the sets go to one person? Would I be able to wrap 30 sets of 50 separately then in an envelope with the SASE same size envelope. Will I be swapping with 30 different persons? Who do I send the envelope to? As you can see..I'm confused and don't want to take on more than I can handle... Honchey

Havplenty 08-14-2012 02:15 AM

honchey for this swap the limit is 30 sets of 50 different fabrics. the sets can be identical but each of the 50 fabrics in a set must be different with no duplicates. each set would be bagged separately, include your name & board name with each baggie then all of these sets (how ever many you choose to make up to 30) would be mailed in one large envelope to mariposa. included with this mailing to mariposa you will include a large sase with as much postage on it as it takes for you to mail your package to mariposa.

a couple of weeks after the deadline date, mariposa swaps all of the baggies received and mail backs a package to the participants with baggies from the other swappers. you will need to send a private message (pm) to mariposa and let her know you want to participate. once you have all of your squares cut, send a pm to mariposa and request her mailing address.

many of us use sandwich baggies to put our individual sets in. some of us use the clear plastic jewelry bags from craft stores to put our sets in. either way is fine. i have found that around $3.30-$3.60 is a good estimate for the sase return postage. i have taken my sase with baggies to the post office before to have them weighed and that is about near what the postage is. i am trying to include just a bit more over what the usps estimate is to account for the different size baggies used and the weight of the various fabrics. i hope this answers your questions.

cmon and join us. you know you want to.:D

barri1 08-14-2012 02:21 AM

I guess the US post office is making money off me.. I use the priority envelopes.

Mariposa 08-14-2012 04:57 AM

They make $ from me as well- I use the "padded" flat rate envelopes! :) Easier for me too~

Honchey 08-14-2012 11:28 AM

Well, I am 1/5 of the way thru...I cut 300 today...1200 to go... Honchey

Samantha67 08-14-2012 08:28 PM

Just wondering...does this swap occur on a regular basis or is this just a once off swap?

Havplenty 08-15-2012 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Samantha67 (Post 5441549)
Just wondering...does this swap occur on a regular basis or is this just a once off swap?

about 4 times per year: spring, summer, fall, winter and there was a neutral swap but mariposa can give better info as she hosts this swap.