Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Red/White/Blue Swap - Sign up closes May 15, 2010 >

Red/White/Blue Swap - Sign up closes May 15, 2010

Red/White/Blue Swap - Sign up closes May 15, 2010

Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 AM

what are you gals thinking about for sashing and how you are going to finish these up?
Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by LHUNT212
what are you gals thinking about for sashing and how you are going to finish these up?
Yeah, Ditto?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Yeah, Ditto?
This may go in the wait pile for a bit as I still have the choco/rasp swap and funky chickens to put together. I do have a plan though. I did 3 sets of R/W/B's. Of the 36 blocks I receive back, 12 will become a charity quilt and 24 will become a quilt to keep. It's my goal to make a charity quilt for each keeper quilt and I've found this is a great way to work that.

For those I keep: I will make a 20" square to be the center of the quilt. I plan to use a pieced sailing ship pattern. I will put a 2" solid border around it to bring it to 24". Twelve swap blocks will become a border around the large center block. The remaining twelve swap blocks will become part of a second border, with some filler border in there, possibly with appliqued anchors or some other nautical item. I'm picturing the 2" border around the center block, the applique in the outer border, and the binding in a navy blue. But I'll have to see what the colors are in the blocks I receive before I can really determine that.

I'm really excited to have these blocks come home! Thanks, Deb, for posting pictures. They are all so beautiful!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Sew cornie:

Sounds like a terrific plan. Love the idea of charity quilt from each swap. I am running a Quilt for Kids charity at my public library this summer.
Claudia Paula
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 PM

How do you think it will look to tea dye the blocks?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by benndm
How do you think it will look to tea dye the blocks?
I believe that will make them look aged, which could add a lot character!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM

I plan on using my blocks to make a quilt for a elderly man I care for. He served in the Army for over 20 years. He was in one maybe two wars. He went on and retired from a cilivan job also. Today is his birthday turned 78 yrs old.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by sew cornie
Originally Posted by BrendaB
Yeah, Ditto?
This may go in the wait pile for a bit as I still have the choco/rasp swap and funky chickens to put together. I do have a plan though. I did 3 sets of R/W/B's. Of the 36 blocks I receive back, 12 will become a charity quilt and 24 will become a quilt to keep. It's my goal to make a charity quilt for each keeper quilt and I've found this is a great way to work that.

For those I keep: I will make a 20" square to be the center of the quilt. I plan to use a pieced sailing ship pattern. I will put a 2" solid border around it to bring it to 24". Twelve swap blocks will become a border around the large center block. The remaining twelve swap blocks will become part of a second border, with some filler border in there, possibly with appliqued anchors or some other nautical item. I'm picturing the 2" border around the center block, the applique in the outer border, and the binding in a navy blue. But I'll have to see what the colors are in the blocks I receive before I can really determine that.

I'm really excited to have these blocks come home! Thanks, Deb, for posting pictures. They are all so beautiful!

That sounds beautiful. I hope you will post a picture. I hadn't thought about using the blocks around a center piece or panel. That is an excellent idea. So is your idea about charity quilts.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by purplesharon
I plan on using my blocks to make a quilt for a elderly man I care for. He served in the Army for over 20 years. He was in one maybe two wars. He went on and retired from a cilivan job also. Today is his birthday turned 78 yrs old.
How cool. I bet he will cherish the quilt. I hope you will post a picture. I would love to see it too.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 AM

I mailed my blocks last Thursday, did you get them yet?? :roll: