Round Robin Perfect 10's

Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 AM

Default Round Robin Perfect 10's

Round Robin Perfect 10's
This round robin is meant to be a fun, social and learning experience. There is no skill level requirement, only to do the best work that you can. You should not feel that every round has to be a very complex design…sometimes the quilt will just need something very simple added at that particular point. If you have concerns about what to add at any point, feel free to ask for help from others in your group, the host of the RR, other sewing friends, or even the owner of the center. Remember…this is FUN!

Center should be any size between 12 "- 24 "finished, dividable by 3. (Be sure to add ½” for seam allowance!) The center may be square or rectangular. (The center block, all borders, cornerstones, or whatever should be carefully squared each step of the project.). The size of your center will determine the finished size of your quilt.
Borders will be 3 1/2" - 6 1/2" dividable by 3's again. (The center block, all borders, cornerstones, or whatever should be carefully squared each step of the project.)
Option - in lieu of any one of the first 2 rounds, the block may be turned on point, if appropriate. Triangles are then added to each side of the "diamond" to make it into a square again. Appliqué or embellish the corners.
• The bigger you make it the more the people adding rounds will have to do.
• Fabric: 100% cotton, washed. Please do not use any scented spray or item near fabric. Some of our members have allergies to scents, animals, smoke, etc.
• Include a label that each person may sign and a journal if desired. . Please use a Black Pigma pen or some type of black permanent fabric marker. You might want to leave enough room for everyone to list their name along with their board name, their city, state, country, and the date.

• Be sure to include instructions in your journal so the others know what you envision as a finished project. What will the finished project be used for: tablecloth, wall hanging, or lap quilt? Will your quilt have a season theme or color scheme?
• Each round should be worked. This means, a border needs to be more than just a single strip of fabric added. Examples of borders: add something in the corners, add several rows of borders, piece borders, appliqué borders, paper piece borders, hand embroider on borders, etc.. You can add an appliqué to a previous border, but you must add to that border.
This is a learning experience. Try new things!
• The owner is free to alter, add, adjust or do anything they want with the quilt.
We will be posting pictures with each round, unless you specify that you do not want to see your quilt until it is finished. For most of us…we just can’t wait.
Please stay on target for the mailing dates. You will have 2 months between mailings. If something happens that will cause you to be late mailing, please email the person who you will be mailing to and the leader of the group.

Graciously accept your finished quilt
Sometimes the final quilt owner will want to add more embellishments or add an additional border, but everyone who worked on your quilt used their best abilities. After the RR has closed, of course it is your quilt to do whatever you choose. We will all look forward to seeing the quilted final product! Please do not post pictures that show alterations or changes in someone else’s work though. Please be conscious of others feelings. If this isn’t acceptable to you, please DO NOT play.

Tips and Lessons Learned:
1. Print off the rules, mailing dates, your group mailing list.
You will be referring back to it.
2 Don’t panic…hang the top for a few days and let it speak to you. They tend to “tell you what they need next”.
3. If you are trying something new….do it on the separate border, do NOT sew it to the quilt until you are sure it worked.
4. Please DO NOT let tops pile up on you. If you need help, ask…there are others who can and will step in to help you through a time crunch bind. We can work it out.
5. Please handle the quilts carefully. We all drag them around to show them off to friends, guild members, LQS, etc. but when doing so, we can stretch the borders so the finished quilt doesn’t lie flat. Please make sure it does lie flat prior to mailing it on to the next person.
6. If for ANY reason, you feel the need to resign from doing this at ANY point in the "game", PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know! It's not fair to the others for someone to just pull out, not tell anyone and keep what is not theirs.

Mailing dates:
Oct. 1, 2013
Dec. 1, 2013
Feb. 1, 2014
April 1, 2014
June 1, 2014
Aug. 1, 2014

Please pm me with your board name, name, address, phone number, and email address. I will send each of you a list of members information. You will always send to the same person.

ssnare sends to MaryLane
MaryLane sends to Oldcatlady
Oldcatlady sends to Jclinganrey
Jclinganrey sends to Wanda Lou
Wanda Lou sends to Wonnie
Wonnie sends to ssnare
Old 06-28-2013, 04:51 AM

just pm'd you
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 AM

Thank you Penny.
Since we have new members, everyone, please tell us about yourself. Thanks, Sherry
Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 AM

I will give it a whirl, I am in another private round robin so this will be an fun extra for me! I love pieced work and playing with new fabrics and am in a ton of swaps. On the board I am known as "Brat" feel free to use that when you are speaking to me. I just moved to Wyoming from California this last week with my dh and two cats. I say.. bring it on!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 AM

Hello everyone and thanks for letting me play along

I'm a nurse, like several of you I think, I am soo looking forward to retirement but I'm only 53 so have a long way to go. I've done a lot of different things from travel ER nursing to hospice, currently I work as a tele nurse doing disease management and I think I'm going to be able to work from home soon, doing the happy dance!

I've never been married. I live alone with 2 cats that are 17 yrs old that I got at the APL. I've driven across the country to california for travel nurse assignments with them twice! And up to NH and Maine. I think it is worse than traveling with kids! I've always told my family that I'm going to be one of those old ladies they find in a house alone with dozens of cats hence the name 'oldcatlady'

I have a huge yard that is bordered in perennial flower beds. It was a good idea at the time I bought my house 25 yrs ago but not some much now that I am older and overweight and have a bad back!

I love guilting,gardening,reading, watching TV and my cats. I hate hot weather and exercising!

OK, probably more than you wanted to know! I'm really looking forward to this but am a little nervous. I've never really done borders so I'm stretching my boundaries. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions.

ssnare and I have been in the Boom swap together before but I think I am new to the rest of you. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and working on your quilts
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 AM

Hello guys thanks for letting me play.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM

I am a registered nurse also. I recently retired from teaching CNAs. I am married. June 30th will be our 46th anniversary. I have 3 boys, and we have adopted our 16 year old granddaughter. We have 2 miniature poodles. I love flowers, but can't grow a thing. I love to do piecing and applique. I do not like to sandwich the quilt. LOL. I have done oil paintings of landscapes and water. I have made jewelry. I am artistic and creative. I belong to a sewing guild and a quilting guild. I also am a red hatter. I am working on a state flower quilt, a red/black/white quilt. I have blocks for a music, guitar quilt for my son. I also have blocks for a Betty Boop quilt plus other UFOs.

I have been in several boom swaps, 3 row robins, and 3 round robins. I have been quilting for 3 years. I am working on a cathedral window that is by hand. I have been working on it for 3 years. That is the first class I took, before I even knew how to cut with a rotary cutter.

I collect fairies, bears, dolls, thimbles, spoons. I like butterflies and dragonflies.
I am looking forward to our next adventure. I have really enjoyed working on everyone's rows in our row robin.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Wanda lou, please tell us about yourself.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Hi, I am Mary. I am 48. I have three sons and have been married to my high school sweetheart since before I graduated high school We have three sons and one grandson. I am not a nurse but I did go to nursing school for a year before changing my major to chemistry. I work a 12 hour rotating schedule mainly so that I don't have to drive further to work.

I have sewn forever but only started quilting about 5 years ago. I also collect sewing machines. I should stop but my husband encourages it! I hate handwork. So, I try to do everything by machine. I have an embroidery machine and that is helpful. I also have an HQ16 midarm quilting machine.

I live on a farm. We have dogs for company and cats stay in the barn. Can anyone explain to me why I - who does not like cats - am the first person cats go to?

My favorite color is red and I am thinking of doing a red/white quilt for this row robin. But, patriotic also appeals to me.

Welcome to our new members!

Mary
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Just sent in my info so will wait for a PM to see if there is a spot open. Think these round robins will be a fun swap to do.