Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Row Robin 2012/2013

Yeah, I'm glad both of you signed up. Don't be skeered, it will be fun!
    Charlottemarie
    (I have never done one either~!)
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Qbee, now I want to sign up for two, the snowman is one I love also!
    Life is Good!

Visit my blog, closed the website:

http://charlottescreationsanew.blogspot.com/

Hi all,
    I just signed up to be part of this R x R robin. I'm so excited. Haven't figured out my theme yet but will think on that this afternoon.

The photo is of a quilt from a Row by Row robin I participated in back in '04-'05. I absolutely love this quilt! It hangs in the dining room and is the first thing one notices. It gets lots of compliments.

I had sent along embroidery floss and a needle with my row/s and asked everyone to embroider their initials someplace on their row. They all loved the idea and wished they had thought of it. (Feel free to borrow the idea :-)

best,
    d
    Attached Images Attached Images

My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    WOW, that did turn out beautiful. So close to signing up here knowing Whigrose is on board.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

I'm still thinking over this theme. Last time I did a farm theme. I kind of like the ideal of bonnets or hats something along this way

This is last years

I've been tossing around ideas for my theme - I'm leaning (falling) toward 'My Sewing Room'.

I can envision appliques of some of my antique machines, dress forms, pin cushions, spools of threads, scissors, mini quilts, sewing machine manufacturer emblems, quilting frames/hoops, and of course a piece block or two.

Yep, think that's gonna be my theme allright.

Hm, which machine shall I start making a fabric copy of? Willcox and Gibbs, the Davis, the...

best,
    d

Blog Entries
    Do we get to add machine embroidery? I definitely have some sewing machines that would fit in with Whigrose.

QM- Does this mean you're in?
    My list of ideas is growing - I went from a scrap of paper jotting down my ideas to a full size sheet. I added buttons, pins, knitting needles & yarn and machine oiling points to my list.

Can you say excited? I can't wait to start on my row. First I have to shut my mind off. :-) No wonder we connect.

best,
    d

QUOTE=QuilterMomma;5474384]Do we get to add machine embroidery? I definitely have some sewing machines that would fit in with Whigrose.[/QUOTE]

This Quilt is beautiful!!! What a great theme! I was thinking of a Mary Poppins theme? Love Mary and have wanted to make one.... I am thinking of having her in the sky with her umbrella, WE could add kites, merry go rounds, penquins, chimney sweeps, bird lady, a bank, one man band, chalk paintings.... what do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by roda View Post
    This is last years

Blog Entries
    Sent in a pm with a question first. I just don't know for sure what I would do and what theme I would want to do. I have to use up a UFO if I do. The only round that will be a challenge is the first and that one is mine. I am running short on my total of UFOs this month since I have been doing the large ones so have to watch time and then I am speaking at the quilt show in October and have nothing done on that yet. I know, I have until December 1 to complete. Thinking though, thinking real hard. I could fill a couple of themes real easy, snowmen and your sewing theme one for sure, could even do the farm one with ease.

Blog Entries
    This sounds like a lot of fun.......I dont know anything about a RR but I'm willing to jump in and give it a try.....

com'on QM you know you want to......

I'm sending my PM to QBee......
    The only gift is a portion of thyself.....Ralph Waldo Emerson

What great ideas being shown! Keep them coming.

Blog Entries
    I did just finish that round robin quilt that was started last year in April. When Qbee lets me know the answer to my question, will decide then.

Blog Entries
    Oh alright, I will join in. Yep, there goes me saying I am not doing any more swaps until I get my UFOs done. This will have to be a mixer in for me and I am going to see how I can utilize something out of my UFOs to apply here. So that will be my challenge. I won't start until september or October but will meet the mailing deadline on time.

Blog Entries
    If I don't have any 'legit' applique skills, is that going to bother anyone? I have next to no applique skills, but to say that I really know what I'm doing would be a fantastic untruth... My version of applique (which I refer to as fauxplique) involves heat & bond and a straight stitch around the edges.

I don't want to let anyone down - I can piece like it's second nature, but not this other fancy stuff (not yet, at least).
    Mischief Managed.

That's how I do applique except I use a zig-zag stitch so I hope it's good enough....LOL
    When life goes to pieces, QUILT!

Blog Entries
    This will be a good way for you to learn how if it is needed on a row. There are lots of foundation piecing patterns to apply if you don't mind pping.

Woo-hoo!!! We are getting quite a few folks.....here is the updated list:

QBee
    Babeyruth
    wanda lou
    TheMamaHauser (X2)
    Difergie
    SazuBMidlands
    frusratedquilter40
    girlscouts1
    roda
    Linda58
    Krisb
    charlottemarie (X2)
    debfaye
    Mhobbs
    Peggiszo
    Sauki1
    Buslady
    MdmSew’n’Sew
    Lv2sew2011
    AmyB
    MistyMarie
    Lisa_wanna_B_Quilter
    Moonrise
    Whigrose
    Scrapper
    mimim
    Quiltermomma

If I am missing anyone, please let me know. You guys are coming up with some GREAT ideas for themes....keep 'em coming!!!
    Last edited by Qbee; 08-28-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    When life goes to pieces, QUILT!

Blog Entries
    Will not brother me at all remember I'm still learning too, the more I do the better I get! And I didn't even make these I just sewed the blocks together, but looking at them I can make them and will to finish what doesn't get done on this Round Robin, please do not stress we all have to learn sometime right?
    Donna

Quote Originally Posted by TheMamaHauser View Post
    If I don't have any 'legit' applique skills, is that going to bother anyone? I have next to no applique skills, but to say that I really know what I'm doing would be a fantastic untruth... My version of applique (which I refer to as fauxplique) involves heat & bond and a straight stitch around the edges.

I don't want to let anyone down - I can piece like it's second nature, but not this other fancy stuff (not yet, at least).
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥`..♥ Donna♥`..♥

http://countrycottagequiltsandcrafts.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    OH WOW!! I love your ideals that you are posting, and your pictures. Awesome! Can we start now? LOL J/K
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥`..♥ Donna♥`..♥

http://countrycottagequiltsandcrafts.blogspot.com/

TheMamaHauser,
    Oh baby, I am the Queen of Applique - just ask QuilterMomma.

Here's one of the best tips I learned - Yes, Heat N' Bond is legit. The secret to using H n' B is to cut away all but 1/8-1/4" of the drawn pattern. This referred to as the 'donut method'. It leaves for a very soft applique piece. And the more you do it, you will even be able to get it so you are left with only 1/16 - 1/8" of the H N' B left to fuse to your fabric.

This moose I did for a block of the month swap had nary 1/16" fusible on the fabric. It had to, the antlers were so detailed. And I will admit, it was THE most detailed applique I have done to date. I'm not rushing to do anymore of those :-) Plus, the moose and the moutains are the same fabric making appliquing the hooves & legs where they overlapped the mountains quite a challenge.

I now use a buttonhole stitch - only a couple of years ago I was using a zig zag but always questioned the outcome.

best,
    d

If I don't have any 'legit' applique skills... My version of applique (which I refer to as fauxplique) involves heat & bond and a straight stitch around the edges...

Kelly,
    Read your siggy line :-) Very appropriate.

You CAN do it!

best,
    d

Blog Entries
    So do you draw it, trim it down, and then fuse it and trim around the fabric? 1/16" is crazy. I don't even have a ruler (except for my school rulers) that measure so small.
    Mischief Managed.

Kelly,
    Honestly, I don't measure, I just get out my trusty tiny sharp scissors and start trimming away. But yes, you have the right idea. And, save those pieces you trim away because you can use them for other projects.

Glad you're doing this swap. :-) Trust in yourself.

best,
    d

So do you draw it, trim it down, and then fuse it and trim around the fabric? 1/16" is crazy. I don't even have a ruler (except for my school rulers) that measure so small.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast