Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Row Robin 2012/2013 GROUP #5

Blog Entries
    I'm working my way through finding the fabrics... I know exactly what I want, now I just need to decide how I want the colors to go.
    Mischief Managed.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finding fabrics can be the hardest part for me at times!

Blog Entries
    I was thinking (at first) to do a star/french braid thing with the star in the center and the french braids "pointing" toward the star. Awesome, right? But then I can't really find a star I really like. I need to sit down and google a while. I can get the french braid part knocked out, but then I thought, wouldn't it be cool if the colors were getting progressively lighter, darker, etc? So now in my head I'm trying to debate this idea because I wanted to do black and white. But then I say to myself, go red/white/blue in the dusty americana/civil war shades. Oy.

This inner monologue is terrible!
    Mischief Managed.

Blog Entries
    Oh and then my son says, "But I want a lego quilt!" And I found a paper pieced lego-dude. But I feel like I don't really want to foist that mess off on you ladies because legos is kind of ... particular. And I don't want to be THAT particular.

I had to get all that off my chest. Sorry for the multi-post.
    Mischief Managed.

Well one more block to go and that will be this afternoon. I went with an "Asian" theme but didn't have any of the glorious Asian fabrics so I dug through my stash and found some fabrics that are floral and to me look a little Asian. I had a book "Jananese Quilt Blocks to mix and match" by Susan Briscoe. I believe the blocks in the book were for 9 1/2 or 10 inches.. I converted the blocks so mine came out 12 1/2 inches. I would prefer to put sashing in between the blocks but won't because I don't want to make it hard for any of you should you want to do one long block or whatever! My Asian theme could be with colors, blocks or anything you desire. Just have fun. I say that because I was having a hard time coming up with a theme and start stressing that I feel so new at this I almost pulled out then remembered was Lisa said, "just have fun." So I got back on the horse and went with it. I am still freaking a bit about adding to all of your pieces as I get them but the challenge will be fun and am nervously anxious to get all your pieces, if that makes sense!

Blog Entries
    Having fun is required! No stressing allowed in this group.

Jude, I think I have a feel for "Asian look" fabrics. That could be interesting. I'll have to Google for some traditional Asian blocks.

Mama, I'm up for Legos if the other ladies are. My son is a Lego freak so I have good reference material. I have also seen some great blocks that look like lego blocks.

Keep sewing and have fun. I can't wait to see pictures!

Dont want to stress anyone out,but still havent started mine,but thats me sometimes. I've been playing with other hobbies, have my ideals figured out just need to sit down and sew them. Have the fabric and patterns laying here but so wanted to get the buggy finnished for Chirstmas parades. What you guys think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your buggy is wonderful Roda. Are you and your family going to ride in it? Do you have reindeer to pull it? Looks so fun. What do you do with it after the parade? I bet you have more huh? Lisa I finished my blocks yesterday but have to find some sashing today. I have to tell you I have no clue what I am doing as the blocks are all different colors and it really doesn't look all that Asian but more scrappy! However, the blocks are from Biscones book sewwwwwww it is what it is. Your feed back about having Asian ideas is comforting and exciting now I can't wait to see what you will do? Now I am starting to have fun. Mama a Lego theme is great, not sure what I'd do with it yet but will start thinking about it and will definitely come up with something, fun, fun, fun!

Blog Entries
    Roda, your buggy is beautiful! I'm sure you will get your row all finished in time. You still have a month and it is only one row.

I'm really excited for the first rows to go out and actually get to see what is happening at everyone else's house. I'll be getting Mama's quilt first. If she can't decide on a theme, maybe I'll be doing braided Lego stars! I think that's half the fun of this. The wondering what will show up next.

I agree Lisa!

Hi all , I was going to use the theme HOME well life got in the way and its going to be something easier... I am afraid to even say what my theme will be for fear somthing else will go wrong. So u will see them when they arrive... Life goes on and this is going to be fun. I hope !!
    Happy sewing
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Pat, don't worry about changing themes. Life happens. We will all work with whatever shows up and be happy to do it!

Blog Entries
    One month until the first mailing deadline!

Mama Hauser, if yours is ready early, you can feel free to mail it to me any time that works for you.

My row is ready to head to Roda any time she is ready or by December 1 whichever comes first.

If your row is ready early, contact the person it is going to and see if she wants it early. Depending on everyone's life schedule, having the row early might help someone out if they will be busier later on.

I can wait to see some quilt rows!

Hi all. After changing my mind about 20 times and then "things" getting in the way, my row is done. Do I contact the person I am sending to , to make sure it's ok to send now? Is that how I do it? I have done 2 doll swaps and when we sent them we also sent gifts. Do we do that with this swap also? I want to get it sent now because I will be out of town for a few days and when we get home Christmas sewing and shopping will have to start. I just dont want to get behind on this RxR. This is a learing experience for me and if i do this again I will change how I do it. I am not happy with my row. Not the sewing so much but what I chose to make and the fabric I choose. Oh well Live and Learn.
    Happy Sewing
    Pat

Hi All....well I will be sewing my sashing on today and my row will be ready to send. Pat are you ready to receive it or should I wait until Dec 1st? Roda whenever you want to send your row to me you can, no need to wait unless you want to! I believe I will be sending it in an envelope with a sashing strip for each of you to sew on the bottom of your row. Does that work for everyone? OK off to finish my row.....happy sewing to each of you!

Blog Entries
    Pat, you will be sending your row to TheMamaHauser first. If you are ready to send, I think you could PM her and ask if she is ready for it. Or just hope she sees your question on this thread. Either is fine.

Judy, I am enclosing sashing strips with my row, too. I'm hoping it's OK with everyone. No one seemed to object. I'm also sending along fabric scraps in case someone needs them.

To all -- as for gifts to be sent along, I think it is entirely up to you. You will send to the same person each time so I would think you would not need to enclose a gift every time if you decide to send a gift at all. I think you should do exactly what makes you happy.

Blog Entries
    I think I have *finally* made up my mind on what I'm going to do!

I was browsing my blog-list looking for a dresden-plate tutorial (which I still haven't found) and came across this lovely block. I have a few color ideas in my head - that part isn't for certain yet - but this is absolutely the block I'm going to use, 5 of them, all with the same background fabric.

I just had to share with you all!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehappyzombie/5236008396/
    Mischief Managed.

Blog Entries
    It's a pretty block, Mama. Are you wanting all of us to use that block with different fabrics?

Blog Entries
    Not unless you want to!
    Mischief Managed.

Blog Entries
    I just got some gorgeous Asian fabrics from Japan in the 2.5 inch square swap. So very pretty. I'm hoping I can find a way to use them when Jude's quilt comes by my house.

How are you all doing with rows? I think I will go ahead and mail mine next week. Roda can always just leave it in the box until Dec. 1 if she wants. I'd rather have it there on time than late.

Hey Lisa, oh that sounds so neat, I am excited to see what you do. I have my row done and cut my sashing strips, however my mom has has taken a turn for the worse and I have to be with her. We put her on Hospice. I am about 6 hours from my home so I won't be able to send my row early but will send it as soon as i get home. I am going to see if my cat sitter will mail it to me and then I will mail it out. The only thing I haven't done yet is to make a label. I am not sure how I will do that here but will figure something out.

Blog Entries
    Jude, I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. It's a stressful situation. I'm sure you will get the row out in time, but don't stress about it.

I plan to mail later this week. I can't wait to get this project really started!!

Blog Entries
    I can say, officially, I started working on my row tonight. I've got 2 of the 5 blocks totally cut and sub-pinned (HST's & FG parts). So... tomorrow (because I've got Tues & Thurs off now!!!) I will get these two together and start the next ones. I'm doing 5 of the same block using the 'Oops-A-Daisy' line. I'm not too terribly worried about the fabrics being the same and the colors are pretty easy to match.

Jude, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. If there is ANYTHING we can do, say the word. I make a mean pumpkin bread... so that offer is on the table!!

Kelly
    Mischief Managed.

Blog Entries
    It looks like everyone is on track. Things are about to get exciting!

Blog Entries
    I just put my row in the mail.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast