Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Scrappy Hunter Star Block Swap - Due Sept 15th >

Scrappy Hunter Star Block Swap - Due Sept 15th

Scrappy Hunter Star Block Swap - Due Sept 15th

Old 09-07-2016, 05:28 AM

The Hunters star pattern is a little tricky, to get the sizing correct, to get the pieces in the correct position, and to press the seams in the right directions so the pieces "nest" and the corners are sharp. I often get confused, and once got one wrong (see earlier post in thread). So I made a pattern that has helped me maintain size and positional accuracy as well as increase the speed of block assembly. See Below:

Pattern:

The orange/pink shows where to place the dark/light HST pieces, the green squiggles show which way to press the seams so the pieces nest. I sew from top left to right bottom. When the 4 HST's block is assembled, I assemble to the 4.5" patch, then assemble the top half to the bottom half and press that seam open and I am done.

Here is the pattern with the fabric positioned to begin assembley:

Hope this helps you....It sure has helped me.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 AM

Grannyrosie, check your blocks please. Is the brown/brown print block that is 2nd from the left on the top row square (8.5 x 8.5) or is it an optical illusion in the photograph? The one to the left of it , shown in cream and orange looks a tad wonky too? They sure are pretty. I love you fabric selection. These are going to make great quilts, don't you think?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34 AM

jcl I need your address
Old 09-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Jane Quilter, it may be the way they were on the very used felted back tablecloth. I have already mailed them out, so Jane check it please. Quiet honestly I didn't square up my blocks too much. There is a reason to this madness. My blocks all are extremely close to 8.5 and I know thru other trades, I don't get 100% perfect blocks, so after I make them and then measure them, if they are not extremely off, I make sure the sides are straight and squared within reason. I really think it is just the pic, but I agree it looks wonky, but really don't think so. It would be in the crappy bend if it was.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:31 PM

good to know, grannyrosie. Even if they are a little off, we can always make them work (we have our ways, lol). This is a real hard block to make come together perfect. I've trashed a few myself. Thanks for checking.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 AM

Sometimes a block can stretch one way or the other when ironing, making it not end up square when actually there is a 1/4" seam allowance and it's fine-- but then if you go to square it up, it doesn't help a thing. With several triangles in this pattern, it's easy to be a tad off when ironing because of the bias. However, when the block is sewn into the top and re-ironed you find it all works out fine.

The general rules suggest to welcome all skill levels. And the swap is for fun, to sew together for fun. :-)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 AM

So sorry givio and grannyrosie, I didn't mean to be unfun or unwelcoming.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM

Jane Quilter, believe me when I say you were in No way unwelcoming. I don't get offended, nor do I get my feelings hurt too easily. Please if you see something let us know, we should all accept constructive criticism. Nothing said is worste. Let me just say, I am getting at that age where I have to be like a duck and let the water run off. Lol.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:57 PM

Jane Quilter, Thank you for your kindness. What I meant to point out with my post is that we can accept wonkiness (to some degree)... that's what happens when some of us start out. And even some who have quilted for a long time might not sew as careful as we might ourselves. For others, it could be because of arthritis in the hands, or failing eyesight, or whatever.

Plus, it can make you happy to accept what others do when it's not quite what you expected or want.... like when a mother praises the drawing of her 5-year-old-- not a Rembrandt classic, but certainly special! :-)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Thank you Givio for you help . I found it . Im guessing that i will do the same next time ?
Thanks again ;-)