Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011 >

Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011

Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011

Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM

I will be mailing my 20 sets tomorrow, YEAH I got em done!!!!
Rae
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM

58 swappers think we can get 60?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Been working with 1 1/2" squares the past couple of days and learned something that might be useful! When sewing go one direction with the first row and go the opposite direction with the next row. Top to bottom and then bottom to top. It will help with keeping the blocks square and matching seams! Good luck everyone!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenBarnes
Been working with 1 1/2" squares the past couple of days and learned something that might be useful! When sewing go one direction with the first row and go the opposite direction with the next row. Top to bottom and then bottom to top. It will help with keeping the blocks square and matching seams! Good luck everyone!
I learned this doing my itty bitties, too.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Hey Missi, I put my package in the mail today. WooHooooooo!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Glad that works for you, Karen.

I'm one of those (unmentionable) seam openers. I have resigned myself forever to use pins, after swearing off pins for 40 years before. Now, I have almost no mismatches, and my seams are open as I like them to be. I tried pressing to one side, but I didn't care for the way free motion machine quilting sounded over the extra layers caused when you have several pieces of fabric together instead of two. I like the way the needle sounds going through fewer layers, and I don't mind paying the price now that I'm not spending 5/6ths of my time ripping wrongful corners out to correct them. :mrgreen:

I have to admit it, though. I truly admire the way seams match for people who can tolerate noise better than me and use the seam-to-one-side method.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Missi
58 swappers think we can get 60?
Girl, you already have thousands of stars in your crown! Thanks for the hard work.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Hope the edge burn hint helps at least one person here who didn't know how to tell if they really had their hands on a piece of cotton or some yukky fabric like the one I had that literally shrunk away from its parameter I had so carefully cut to measure 1.25" after sewing quarter inch seam allowances for the endless postage stamp map quilt I'm working on right now. Oh, yes, and the map part is worked as a charm quilt area, which means one fabric, only one piece in the quilt. You can see why it's taking a week to do 6 25-patch pieces of charm squares. At least the border is in the same dark blue fabric. :)
Beautress,
If you haven't posted a pic of this quilt, please do! If you have would you share the link?
I'm so embarrassed, Karen! I bought a camera over two months ago for the express purpose of sharing pics of the quilts I'm working on, but haven't done more than take it out of the box and put it back in again. I belong to a guild also, and I'm always at the machine, Charity bee, quilt store, sewing blocks for another bee person's charity quilt, etc. One of these days, I'm going to stare down that darn camera, put the disc in the computer, make it go where it oughtta go instead of on the desktop, whew! Superwoman is tired from listening to herself thump her chest about conquering the computer!
:mrgreen:

It's late here, I have to get up early to feed a man and get myself to Cut-Ups where a lot of my Bee friends go. I took a day off from the map quilt, and it takes a day after all this extra curricular quilting is done to reorient and get back in it. I found 2 duplicates and an error that had to be removed and replaced on my one day off... a quilter's work is never done.

Have a lovely evening everyone, may the Groundhog never see his shadow, may spring come soon, and kudos to the brave souls who got through all that cold and snow. The upside is that inclement weather is a great aid to staying inside and working off some of that stash! Night!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Keepmelaffn
@Beautress...thank you for that bit of info...I had heard about this test a long time ago, but completely forgot about it til now. What adventures you must have scouting around for fabric! I think it's about time I start visiting local thrift stores around here...maybe I'll run into some great finds too.
@Momma_K...she's beautiful! :thumbup:
Hope you get some good finds, and since I wrote that, I keep swishing suspect fabrics together for some sound--and found 4 more fabrics won on EBay "all-cotton" stashes or in thrift stores that tested bad. I tested one very softy thinnish fabric, and much to my surprise, it flaked softly, but it was cotton for sure. Once in a while the test goes your way. :)
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beautress
Originally Posted by Keepmelaffn
@Beautress...thank you for that bit of info...I had heard about this test a long time ago, but completely forgot about it til now. What adventures you must have scouting around for fabric! I think it's about time I start visiting local thrift stores around here...maybe I'll run into some great finds too.
@Momma_K...she's beautiful! :thumbup:
Hope you get some good finds, and since I wrote that, I keep swishing suspect fabrics together for some sound--and found 4 more fabrics won on EBay "all-cotton" stashes or in thrift stores that tested bad. I tested one very softy thinnish fabric, and much to my surprise, it flaked softly, but it was cotton for sure. Once in a while the test goes your way. :)
Just a question on this? How does the test work with rayon? I understand that rayon is natural fibers stabilized through it's thread creation process. I bought a pair of "bamboo" socks the other day. Content label listed "rayon", nylon, and polyester, but no "bamboo". I'm sure with a blend like this I will get manmade results.