Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011 >

Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011

Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011

Old 12-26-2010, 03:05 PM

I don't have a problem with a variety of fabrics washed or unwashed, inexpensive or expensive. I usually say though that you should include fabrics that you would want to receive. When I finally get to using my collection, there will surely be some pieces left behind for one reason or another. I think the fun of these type of swaps is that you can take it or leave it when it comes to a block and not sweat it too much! Some of the other swaps, though very fun, can be somewhat expensive!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 PM

Thank you so much "keepmelaffn" I think I got it now. Whew wipe sweat from me brow. I have lots of material from my sister in laws quilt shop, PLUS some I bought through JoAnn's a few years ago. lol... Some washed and some not. I also like what Karenbarns posted, It's for fun and not to sweat it to much. Basically if we make to much work out of it it cease to be fun. I was looking for something fun without a lot of money involved and this sounded good. PLUS I've seemn some postage stamp quilts posted and they are beautiful. no stars and triangles but beauty of it's own. I'm on and I got it. Thanks for the help gals. Blessings me. :)
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Would love to join...don't know how I would go with the postage from Australia though. If I put a SASE it would be in Aussie stamps...can anyone help with this as I have never done this swap before.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by BevD
Would love to join...don't know how I would go with the postage from Australia though. If I put a SASE it would be in Aussie stamps...can anyone help with this as I have never done this swap before.
International swappers either send me US $$ to pay for their postage or send me fabric to cover your return postage. It is fun to get the international swappers so please think of joining.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Keepmelaffn
(2) If I do 10 sets, each set can have the same 50 fabrics as long as EACH set has 50 different fabrics?

all you need to do is cut 10 1.5 inch blocks from one piece of fabric...then another 10 of another piece of fabric...then...take ***1 of each*** stack of 10 and put it in a baggie...continue doing this till all the stacks have been depleted and all the baggies have 50 blocks in each one.
As I cut I set up my piles/sets the last time. That way I don't have to handle the small charms again.
(You can easily get 26 1 1/2" charms from 1 40" strip so I'm aiming for the maximum set allowance of 20 sets.)
As I cut I place one charm on each pile. I'll pull my fabric yardage or strips in groups of 10 or 25 and leave them out so I don't use them again.

It really didn't take long to do the piles/sets the first/last time I participated. I'm glad the number of piles/sets has increased this round! Thank you!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM

pm'd you Missi, will be fun.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 AM

Good Morning Swappers!

Missi suggested that I take a poll asking who would want to make "siggie" blocks to be included in each of the "sets". I had asked her if we were going to do these, she said it hadn't been done in the past, but I think it'd be a kewl way to label our finished quilts we make from these postage stamp blocks. That way we'll always remember who contributed to our quilts. Please post a yes or no a.s.a.p. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Ok Thats fine with me but just one thing...what is it and how is it done? Sorry, still sorta new to the language! Ha!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
Ok Thats fine with me but just one thing...what is it and how is it done? Sorry, still sorta new to the language! Ha!
That's quite alright "Momma"...I was just introduced to them about 6 mos. ago.
"Siggies" are signature blocks.
You make them by piecing three one-and-one-half inch x three-and-one-half inch strips together to make a three-and-one-half inch square. The top and bottom strips are made from the same colored print, solid, tone-on-tone fabric, the strip in the middle is made from white muslin. When the squares are finished, you write your name, the date, etc. on the white muslin strip using a waterproof fabric pen...wahla!...a signature block which once you and the rest of us complete the project using the blocks in the swap, the siggies are sewn together using 1/4" seams and attached to the back of the project. That way you'll always remember who contributed to your project.

I'll post a pic of one of mine on here later today.

Hope this has helped! Sandy
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Sandy, Geee after reading all of that I was hoping you would say you'd post one!! Yes that will help and thank you so much!! I appreciate that! :P