10 inch squares?

Old 11-15-2023, 09:59 AM

I wouldn't like 10" squares. I have my fabric folded similar to fat quarters and stored in plastic boxes by color so that I can take the top off and see what I have. I couldn't do that with 10" squares. I guess you'd have to sort thru them to find what you want.

And what would you do about borders, bindings and sashing?
Old 11-16-2023, 07:12 AM

I fold yardage onto magazine boards. Scraps are difficult to store well for me. I have a plastic tote with pieces larger than my hand, and one for smaller. I did just sort and fold my solids which I placed into ziplock bags by color. I think I'd like to do that with my scraps, but I get bogged down with a blue and red scrap. Do I put it with the blues or the reds?
I would not pre-cut without a destination.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:33 AM

I don't have the space to store my fabrics on shelves and when I put them into bins, I tend to forget I have them. I decided to buy a filing cabinet that matches the furniture in our home office and store my fabrics there. I simply fold the yardage over a hanging file folder. If I have smaller scraps, I put them in the folder. The fabrics don't get dusty, are out of the sun to prevent fading, and no one knows what's in the cabinet. It works for me.
Attached Thumbnails dscn7367s.jpg  
Old 11-17-2023, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
I don't have the space to store my fabrics on shelves and when I put them into bins, I tend to forget I have them. I decided to buy a filing cabinet that matches the furniture in our home office and store my fabrics there. I simply fold the yardage over a hanging file folder. If I have smaller scraps, I put them in the folder. The fabrics don't get dusty, are out of the sun to prevent fading, and no one knows what's in the cabinet. It works for me.
i like the idea of wrapping the fabri around a hanging file folder.

Looks very tidy and accessible

what is the longest length of fabric that " works well" with that storage system?

Old 11-17-2023, 08:52 AM

BonnieJP, that is a great idea. I had an old dresser I used for a while for fat qtrs. I had tons of them given to me. Now I am cutting down on things. Just cleaned out my bedroom closet!!
Old 11-17-2023, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
i like the idea of wrapping the fabri around a hanging file folder.

Looks very tidy and accessible

what is the longest length of fabric that " works well" with that storage system?
I have a few 108" x 2 yard pieces of fabric stored on folders in the cabinet. If I buy a full bolt, it goes in a storage bin.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:12 AM

I agree...I wish I had not cut my yardage into strips and smaller blocks. I just started sewing again after many years and if I had to do it over again, I would have bought more yardage vs fat qtrs and I would not have cut up all my yardage. The other thing I would have done is buy more solids and same colors fabrics. (example: brown flowers on brown fabric).
Old 12-21-2023, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alderdweller View Post
I am determined to organize my fabric, and just folding and stacking hasn't been workable for me.
I am thinking of cutting mine in 10 inch squares and stacking. I know some cut in 2 1/2 strips, but it seems like I could easily cut most everything I need out of the 10 inch.
Does anyone use this method, and do you find it helpful?
Thanks!
Nooooooooooo !
I avoid cutting a larger piece of fabric into smaller ones until I have a specific purpose for them

Old 12-22-2023, 03:31 AM

I agree with you...cut when you know what you want to make. I agree with cutting scraps into pieces but not yardage, fat qtrs. I have been making a quilt that uses mostly boarders. a quick quilt and disappointed with myself on how many I cut into 2 1/2 strips and I need wider strips. I am determined not to buy more fabric, but now I have to piece a bunch together
Old 12-22-2023, 06:25 PM

I agree with leaving fabric in the largest pieces possible so they are available for the greatest number of options. You can always cut smaller, but making pieces larger is much more difficult. Also, if it is all cut into smaller squares, it is very difficult to know exactly how much of any fabric you actually have on hand. On a personal note, out of all the pre-cut sizes today, I find the greatest amount of waste with 10 x 10" squares so that would be my last choice to cut to. I really like the filing cabinet idea, but be sure to anchor it well. With all that weight in the drawer it could tip easily.