Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Apartment quilting

I use our small guest room. It was tight, as it has a double bed. Then last year we built a murphy bed and suddenly the room seems huge! I have an over-the-door ironing board, a big solid table I bought from Boarders when they closed for my sewing machines, and a smaller light weight table on bed risers as a cutting table. This sits in frount of the murphy bed it its "up" position; the legs come off easily and it slides under the bed when it is "down". We have had a lot of guests, and it is a quick and easy switch from sewing room to quite a nice guest room!
    ​tea

Blog Entries
    Sarah, I've lived in several locations in Brooklyn -- mostly parlour floors of brownstones -- and while I didn't have a quilting room at the time, my roommate had an art studio in one of the bedrooms. Now I live in a tiny cottage and turned an extra closet sized bedroom into my studio. Although I have a house, I honestly think I had more room when I lived in Brooklyn. However ... if I were you, I would get that cat box out of the room. Those aromas will cling to your fabric.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

When you get to the age where you can look back on your life, it will amaze you that you were able to think beyond the box as you all are doing. When you have a passion, love, or _____ (fill in the blank), you find a way to make it work. I have been in small apartments and now I am in a small house. I have sewn in a corner of a bedroom, cut on a dining table, and ironed in a bathroom. We find a way of making our hearts happy.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

I certainly understand how it is difficult to finish projects in a small space. Can you buy a drop leaf cutting table,
    there are many companies that make them from inexpensive to very nice furniture. Take a look at the Martha Stewart
    Craft furniture thru the Home Decorators.com web site. It is very nice. And there is a cutting/craft table that folds up small and has storage too. There are others, at Joanne stores, Ikea has a gate leg table that may work for you.
    Horn makes a very large when opened table. The great thing about some of them is you can close them up when not in use, or only half open them or fully open them. HTH
    Also I would not leave a cat box where you sew. There are some really good ones now but still it could ruin your stash.
    Last edited by nanbue; 07-30-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
    I bought one of the tables at JAs for basting my quilts. Side drop down so it's against the wall when not in use http://www.joann.com/sullivans-home-...?green=3031324 Bought it when it was on deep sale price. DH said it was a pain to put together but then refused to let me help. I refuse to pin baste on the floor...knees can't take it I use binder clamps to anchor the quilt and shift as I need to get it basted. Just another idea for you.
    I bought one of these several years ago...got it 1/2 price, I think. DH didn't help me put it together...did it myself, as he was out doing field work. It is great for cutting my quilt pieces (larger ones), and like you, love it for when I have to pin baste. (My knees and back can't take the crawling around on the floor, either!)
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

When I lived in a small apartment I had two stacks of two tucker totes (all four the same style, twoshorter ones on top of two bigger ones) within close proximity of each other and took a smooth (garage sale) door and laid it on top for a table top. I would remove the door when I needed in the totes, put a towel on the door to iron, or sit and sew. (I even set my lamps on top of them for lighting. I didn't have much but made the best of what I had.)

Check out My Sewing Space thread in this section of QB. She moved into her daughter's room after she left home. She has a link to her blog where she has pictures

I use the kitchen floor tiles to square up my quilts since they're one foot square. I make the layer sandwich on the kitchen floor and slide the cutting mat under it, kind of matching one edge of the mat to a line on the floor... very handy. I sometimes tape the backing to the floor to keep it flat while placing the batting. Also do my safety pinning and basting while it's on the floor.
    I keep most of my quilting supplies in a laundry basket and schlepp it off to the church quilting ministry every week. That way I can toss in some fabric or a WIP or 2, camera, magazines, and so on.

I am blessed with a nice quilt room now, but a few years ago I spent 3 years in a 5th wheel travel trailer while I took care of my FIL and his farm until his death.
    I did some blog posts on some of the ideas I came up with and will add links below.

If any of you have seen Paula Nadelstern's books or award winning quilts, remember that she has a tiny New York apartment and does all her piecing on the kitchen table using a featherweight. Or did, she may have moved by now. But that is proof all the room in the world won't make you a good quilter, but time and attention to detail will.

the beginning
    http://kalamaquilts.blogspot.com/200...-quilting.html
    set up for sewing
    http://kalamaquilts.blogspot.com/200...my-throat.html

My little helper
    a failed working wall idea
    I don't see a photo of it but what worked well in the end was covering a long old fashioned roller shade with flannel and attaching it on my highest wall, which is where the little stair way is. Easy peasy out of the way when not in use.

the little sewing corner
    http://kalamaquilts.blogspot.com/200...ng-part-4.html
    Cutting central although I do sometimes use the table too, as in the first link
    http://kalamaquilts.blogspot.com/200...g-cutting.html

Best wishes on what works out for you!

Blog Entries
    I sew in a small 2berth caravan. I purchased a small folding table to put the sewing machine on. Cutting and sandwiching I do on the very large 6 ft table which came with the van. This I have been known to use outside. This generates many exciting conversations. I could cut on the table inside or on a work surface if it rained.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2