Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camper sewing areas

Camper sewing areas

Do any of you have photos you could post of your sewing areas in your campers. We'll be spending the winters in our camper (33' 5th wheel). I'll be taking my machine, tools, and fabric to quilt, and would love to see how you have your space set up.
    jean

I'd be interested as well..
    Kirsten
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

Following!

I don't have a picture, but I sew with my machine on the dining table and put the cutting board and iron up on the kitchen cabinet. I have to put everything away for the evening meal. If you have enough room, you can get one of those little folding tables that are about 16 inches across by 2 foot wide. With a couple of those you can make an L shape sewing/ironing area. If you are wintering where there is really pretty weather, you can take a 3 or 4 foot table outside and really enjoy some pretty weather.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

tables

Quote Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
    Do any of you have photos you could post of your sewing areas in your campers. We'll be spending the winters in our camper (33' 5th wheel). I'll be taking my machine, tools, and fabric to quilt, and would love to see how you have your space set up.

I bought a folding table that has legs that can raise and lower as well as folding in half. I lowered it to its lowest setting and put it in front of the couch. I had to lean forward more than I liked but it kept me from sewing too long. Plus, if you have a chair instead of just a couch you could raise it a bit higher. I still use that table in front of my couch if I want to sew and watch tv, or just need an extra set up with a friend over. Best table ever.

I do the cutting at home, pack with pattern and xtra fabric (in case I need it) in a plastic bag. I only piece in the rv and finish when I get home again. Works for me.

I recently bought a vintage sewing table similar to the one in the picture. It fits under our table seating. We have a small portable table that came with the 5th wheel. If I put a pillow on it it works for a seat to sew at. I also only take piecing work...usually scrap piecing for a scrap quilt. I keep a small cutting/ironing pad there as well as a small iron. If we're only going for a few days I take hand work. I currently have a baby quilt ready for me to hand sew the binding on. I also take crochet w/me. I make hats for the homeless. The pattern doesn't really require any thinking and it's small so I don't have to worry about it dragging on the ground if I want to sit outside. Oh, and I also keep a small applique project there to work on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    I sew on the dining table; the ironing pad is on the stove top; the cutting board is on the end of the table. I keep my rulers etc in a plastic tub on the floor next to my chair. Many times I will use the laundry room table if I need to sandwich a larger project. And,I sew outside the trailer under the awning...fun!
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

No photos, sorry Jean, but our 5th wheel has the rear living room with a desk under the television so I can put the machine there. Just to the right of that is a kitchen counter that can be used for cutting/pressing. We are leaving soon for a 3 week trip so I will try to take a picture for you all.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    I recently bought a 30ft motor home and I will make this my permanent home. I am in the process of redoing some of it's layout and have found quite a few good idea's on Pininterest on how to's on every thing about camper life and small living. There are some really great ideas for making an existing lay out work for us sewing nuts.These ideas have been very helpful. I'm working on the back half now and may redo the front half later. So far I've increased my storage area by 25% -more room for fabrics. Parting with things hasn't been to hard but parting with fabrics is proving to be a heart breaking challenge

Have you thought about using your winters for hand piecing or hand quilting projects? I also enjoy planning quilts by gathering images on Pinterest, then sketching out on graph paper with colored pencils, and finally doing the math for yardages.
    Elizabeth

Since we have a toyhauler camper with a separate garage, I have my sewing room in the back. Fold down table when not in use. I like to take along scraps and a machine for paperpiecing. With pp I don't need big pieces of fabrics since I like to do minis paperpiecing.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Thanks for all of your comments. That little table is so cute; I've never seen one like that. Sewing outside sounds like fun, but we'll be in the AZ desert and I'm concerned about wind and sand. I search Pinterest and Houzz for ideas, but have found only a few. I will probably also sew on the dining table with an extension. So many people are so talented about decorating and organizing I wanted to check with you. I know where there is a will there is a way.
    jean

I just found this setup on Pinterest from our board. It's really a thoughtful area. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t130595.html
    jean

Blog Entries
    Google sewing in campers. There will be a wealth of info. You can even have a camper designed just for your needs. There is a whole community of camper who sew out there in the world. Good luck and enjoy.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Camper Sewing Areas

We have a 32 ft 5th wheel camper & my sewing area is mostly in one corner except for the tubs of fabric in our closet & a few more in a small outside shed. My scissors hang on S-hooks off the curtain rod for the window beside my chair, I have an Ott-Lite beside me and my sewing machine is on a "Gidget Table" which is wonderfully stable. I sew from my recliner with a pillow at my back or I turn it against the fridge & use a dining room chair depending on what I'm working on. Winter time in Florida, I quilt out on our deck on a long folding table so I can enjoy the weather, animals and activity around us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to use our dining table for my sewing machine so I have to put everything away at meal time, not ideal but it works. I made an ironing board per Jenny Doan's instructions, very simple, that fits on one of the counter tops as does my cutting mat, alternating those two. What works best for me is to plan the project I want to work on and do the main cutting at home. Make my own kits, essentially. This year I signed up for a block of the month project at a LQS which I thought would be great for the MH. It is 6 1/2 blocks and very scrappy but I don't have to try to find the right fabrics on my own or try to bring them with me. Also, I've discovered that I really enjoy hand embroidery, especially Crab Apple Hill designs, so that works perfectly. Where we stay, the weather is not good for quilting outside, either, so not an option for me. Although, it is a perfect place for other outdoor time, so sometimes I don't sew as much as I think I will. Good Luck on your winter adventure!

Becky, thanks for your photo, I love all the color you have in your camper. I had wondered if I could sew sitting in my recliner and since it works for you maybe it will for me too. Ube, I'll do a search like you suggested and see if I can find some more good idea. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post.
    jean

Blog Entries
    Following, this might be me someday!
    Jeananne

I don't have a camper as large as yours and never have. I use the dining room table for my sewing area. I can put one of those small folding ironing boards across the kitchen sink. I store all my fabric and sewing notions under the bed. I think it helps if you have some sort of plan for your quilts. One year I took my fabric all cut up in zip lock bags with the instructions inside. I do not do anything but piece a quilt. Sometimes if I need a design wall, I take a flannel backed tablecloth for our bed, but I have found that isn't so great sometimes, the quilt blocks have fell off. Usually I take far too many projects for a sane person to complete, guess I will always do that. Good Luck with your quilting.

Hi Jean...I am a live in Nanny, but own a 30' Dutchman travel trailer for weekends off and vacay time. The most helpful change I made for quilting/sewing is this: I had my son turn the table around sideways and move it about 8 inches out from the wall. It gives me space for basting and ironing because I can drape the quilt sandwich down the back side of the table. It can still be used for 4 people eating or lowered for extra sleeping area, as it was originally intended. Since I am single...I had him build me a raised single bed platform, on 4 legs. I have 5 bins on rollers under it...this is where I stash my stash! Lots of room there and on the opposite wall for a dresser with backing and batting. The closet and camper storage along the back wall is enough for my clothing. I love how neat and organized everything is. Good luck and have fun getting the way YOU want it!

We don't full time or snowbird, but we are gone for 4-5 weeks at a time. I have a relatively small travel trailer - 28'. If I want to do some really significant sewing, I take my Gidgit table, the same one shown above. It is wonderful! I store it behind the recliners, our catch all storage spot for odd-sized items. I sometimes carry a small folding chair from Ikea to use at the table since my other folding chairs aren't the right height. I will have to try using a recliner and a pillow as a previous poster suggested. If I know I will only be doing sewing shorter times, I just do it on my dinette table. The height isn't right though, so a couple of hours at a time is all I can handle. I do like to precut, mostly because it is such a pain to press large pieces of fabric. I keep a mini-iron and Best Press in the trailer all the time anyway, and I use a padded pressing board that I put on the right side of the dinette. My rulers and current project travel in a plastic storage box which fits perfectly in a cubby my husband made next to the bed. I keep my notions in a fishing tackle box. It normally sits under the dinette along with my sewing machine (when not in use).

Have fun traveling. We travel all around the West with our trailer and have a wonderful time.

Pam

Pam,
    Can you tell me the name of the chair from Ikea? I'm looking for a new one for my sewing space. Thanks!

I wish we had a LIKE button. I like all the tips and techniques you have shared. We will back out to our camper by Sat. and I can hardly wait to try some of your ideas. I hope you will continue to comment and post pictures here on this thread. Thanks so much for your participation.
    jean

My husband made this for me. We took a 4 foot folding table and cut the back legs off. I put floor protectors on them to protect the built in dresser. My machine and cutting/iron board fit nicely. It's perfect for my Featherweight!! I love it!! It's great because I can leave it up and it's not in the way. Name:  IMG_2875.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  1.22 MB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast