Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cleaning my sewing room!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    One of my goals being on vacation this week was to organize the sewing room. Let me tell you - that chick Eleanor Burns has nothing on me when it comes to tossing fabric over my shoulder!! Yikes what a disaster. Finally got the cutting table cleared off. I have come across a lot of scraps that are less than 1/4 yard. Question - would it be best to cut them into 2-1/2 inch strips to use for braids, log cabins, crazy scrappy jelly roll quilt, bindings????
    I do that to all my scraps and if I am bored with no inspiration everything at 1 yd gets cut-then 2 yds.21/2 strips are so versatile.I have 2 large totes full. I have a bin of average cotton and a bin of LQS quality all ready to use.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    I love Dresdens so I cut my scraps into Dresden blades. When I have a little extra time, I sew them together. So it is a project in progress.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Do check out "quiltville"... it's a blog by Bonnie Hunter... queen of scraps in my book.... she has a whole tutorial all about what to do with "scraps"... how to cut them and store them ,, and wonderful free patterns of what to do with them.!!

http://quiltville.com/index.html
    "Each day well-lived and Happy
    that's all there is to LIFE!"

Have you seen Bonnie Hunter's scrap user's system?
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html
    She has a lot of patterns for using the S.U.S on her webpage www.quiltville.com

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Love all these ideas myself. I have a great system that works for me, but I'd say set up your own system for whatever quilting you like to do. It makes sense that you'd precut for scrappy quilts if that's one of the types you make; or precut for applique if you use lots of the same shapes, like flowers; but it might make even better sense to leave the scraps in pieces as large as possible if not. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Anything smaller than a fat quarter (and even some of those that are less attractive) are cut up into pieces, using the Bonnie Hunter system. It works -- and I have already precut pieces ready for quick quilting, organized. By doing the cutting upfront (which I am still doing, as I have been quilting over 38 years) I am getting the part done I like the least, and its easy to put together scrappy quilts then. By the time I'm done I'll have more room for the new fabric I just bought at Goodwill for less than $3 a yard (way over 100 yards)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2