Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning my sewing room!!!

Cleaning my sewing room!!!

I had to remove some items from this room because I could not stand it one more day. I had some plastic drawers in front of the closet and could not even get in the closet without a big hassle. I even had my printer on top of those carts. i been working all week end and I have the batting left to sort out and decide what to sew together or so on. The batting seems to take up a lot of space. Batting is driving me batty. I am taking a break and eating right now. My room is only about 11 x 13.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I've got to go through the same pain. I'm waiting until the long, hot summer here in the Deep South. Until then, I am going to work on my 30+ UFO's and get some of those completed. I have 5 or 6 that are ready to quilt and bind. Several that only need binding. Ah.....looking at those statements shows me that I can knock about 1/3 of my UFO's with a minimal effort. Sure wish I liked putting binding on. lol
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I cleaned and purged my sewing room in December after I finished my Christmas projects and realized it was still 12 days til Christmas....so glad I did, started the new year in a much more organized and clean space, been doing better keeping it that way too!

Isn't it nice when we do a huge project like this! I organized and folded my fabric late last year, I still have a lot more stuff to go through but it works best when I just do it for a while. Then the next time I get the bug I can dig in with a lot of ambition again.

I have decided, When I'm finally done cleaning the room upstairs for my 8'floor frame. I will set-up a pulley system for my largest roll of cotton batting. It will hang from the ceiling above the frame. I'll be able to pull it down, lay it on the frame and cut off what is needed. I will have to climb up rewind any that hangs down too far after I cut it. It will worth it!!!. I have my small(5-6yds) rolled tight and placed on the 4th shelf of free standing shelves. The units could be 5shelf. I rather have the batting up off the floor. Tinker

I started my purging at Christmas. (purging Purging Purging thread) I Donated scraps and fabric that I knew that I would never use, emptied out and got rid of 3-4 Sterlite drawers on wheels. Interesting hiw much larger the room gets w/o the clutter. My new motto is to NOT buy any more "storage" containers. And, yes, even finished a few UFO's since then.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Good for you! It feels so organized when you can move around. I had a stay-cation that ends today. During my time off I went through 5 piles of papers that accumulated on my computer desk. I guess I'm the only one who can throw out junk mail. It's nice to have the area neat and visible again!
    Go forth and sew!

Today is my day for cleaning the sewing room. Its suppose to be only 60 and rainy today, so maybe I can get it done.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

I am going to get my room organized and be able to sew effortlessly soon, I hope. it is only abt 11x 11 or so, taking up carpet a little piece at a time, shifting things from one side to another, will need to take curtains down and rehang them, after painting, I need more peg boards hung on wall to organize rulers etc. when I get that far, a friend has offered to come and help recognize material etc
    I am really hoping ths gets done in a months time. WE did purchase laminate flooring last week for this project
    any. suggestions welcomed.

I have been working on my bookshelves this past week - cleaning one shelf a day. Makes me feel so good to look over and see it clean and neat. Amazing how many duplicate books and patterns I have. Guess I liked them the second time I saw them in the store!
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    I am just finishing up re-re-organizing my room. It wasn't working out well for all the things I wanted it to do. Its almost done - hopefully this incarnation will 'stick' for a while. I'm going to try to post pics later.

When Mom passed away, I moved my 20+ plastic containers of fab and two bookshelves into her room. I call the room Julie's Fabric Store. Containers line two walls stashed three and four high. HUGE and mean HUGE plastic bag of orphan blocks. One corner corrals batting. Rectangle table in middle of the room which I use to auditioin fab, slide containers on to get to the container on the bottom. Looked fine until I started shopping for fabric. I have a a bad habit of NOT putting fab back into the correct container. Next time I have two days off in a row will return the fabric to the correct container.

No, maybe will go shopping instead!

Once I got my room clean, the hard job was retraining myself to put things away after I used them.
    Funny how easy magic is

Would love to see pics. We are trying to reorganize our 2 hobby rooms. We would love to see what you all have done and get some new ideas. Thanks!
    Country 1

Yesterday, I was looking for a design for my next quilt project. I had drawn it up a couple days before and thought I'd left it on my cutting table. I hunted and found lots of other things. Then I started going through the piles on my ironing board. I found lots of different things, got them put in their proper places. The last place I looked, should have been the first, the manila file folder, clearly labeled as to it's contents.

I have just spent a couple of weekends packing my fabric (most not all) because we are putting the house on the market and it was felt that the room (and all my other cubby holes) was too crowded. I have given a bunch away but I still have tons. Will be glad when we have our new place so I can get set up again. Unfortunately, my helpers did not clearly label things so when I start unpacking I will have a ton of fun.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Boy do I know what you mean. I can't stand when I can't find anything anymore in my sewing room or when I have put too many hurdles in the room. Congratulations on the project. We seem to be so much more creative when the sewing room is clean. Just like a freshly cleaned house. Love it!

Blog Entries
    I have been working on my sewing room for 2 weeks now. Interruptions occur all the time. Last night I taught a sewing/quilting class at church, today I have quilting group in Bonita where I will be showing/teaching about whimsical dolls I make. Not sure how many will be interested but they asked me to do it. So maybe Wednesday I can get back to the task. I did find a baby quilt I had almost finished before I put it away to finish my Grandmother's Flower Garden. Now I am putting binding on it and will give to church for children in Guatemala.

not one before and after picture?? Come on girls show us how much you have done!!
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    I won't be posting any pictures of what I have or have not done. I can't do pics without help, and this spring all my help went the "let's go outdoors" way. And I have a lot of "have not done" looking me in the face. Mess, mess, mess. With me getting ready to go to Texas and teach my GGD's how to quilt. How successful do you think that is going to be. Exciting for me, for I do love to see the young people take an interest in sewing. We'll see. And when I get back to Tennessee, maybe I'll work on my sewing room. That sounds exciting to me too. I love it when it is all clean and things where they belong.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

I need to do that too.

I was overwhelmed trying to clean up my 10 x 15' sewing (and storage) room after a friend and I spent months on projects that messed it up. Everything was out of place! So now I'm trying something different. I'm just doing one small part at a time. For instance, I have two boxes of stuff to put away. I'm going to do one and when that's done, I'll do the other. Then I will identify the next two projects for a later day and when those are done, I'll identify the next two. So far, I have a clean and organized basket for rulers and a clean and organized deep drawer for free motion quilting supplies, gloves, hoops, etc., and rotary cutting supplies. My scissors/screwdriver/tweezers drawer is organized as is my needles/bobbins/other supplies drawer. Sewing machine feet are all organized. Most notions are organized. It's strange how linty a closed drawer can get! Most thread is organized and labeled but I have a basket of threads that need to be put away and space found on the thread shelves.

All my Accuquilt GO dies and supplies are also organized and stored on end in a large, portable basket. A lot of my fabric is well organized, but the homeless fabric needs help. I am going to be cutting up scraps and strips on my Accuquilt GO on the theory that cut and organized scraps take less space and are easier to use. (I have study plastic boxes for storage, and they stack.) Does anyone have experience with this? Can you tell me if this is true?

Cricket
    Last edited by cricket_iscute; 03-25-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Suz
    I am cleaning and purging also. It is interesting some of the things I found which I had forgotten I had. Almost like Christmas. Have been working on all of my books and magazines. WOW!! Anyone interested in the really, really old Quilter's Newsletter? Just cannot toss them. -- We are preparing to make a big move and this purging is just beginning.

Blog Entries
    I just did this yesterday!! It ended up with a huge Yellow plastic bag of scraps and lengths I didn't like, to go to the Salvation Army. They give the sewing items to churches, ect, to make quilts for missions, ect.
    I will never miss what I gave away. Probably should have given more, but this is a start!!
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

I have been working on re-organizing my quilt studio in the finished basement for more than a month. The first thing I did was purge through about a third of my no longer wanted/needed fabrics. I offered them to my 'crafty' friends who were so happy - just like Christmas Morning for them!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast