Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cleaning and organizing sewing room

Blog Entries

Cleaning and organizing sewing room

Well I am trying to get my sewing room cleaned and
    organized, what a chore that is proving to be. I had no
    clue I had so many empty boxes of all sizes stacked in
    the room, but I know that the majority of those boxes
    was slipped into my room by my hubs, because I see
    HIS name on the labels.

Granted some of the boxes I do want to keep, but not
    all of them. I guess he thinks if I want some I want them all.

Hopefully though I will have gone through everything and
    sorted out what I need to keep handy and what can be put
    out of the way.

I will TRY to post pictures IF I ever get it finished.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Just try to enjoy the process and not turn it into a chore, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Boxes can be recycled, maybe ask a grocery store.....

Good Luck to you!

Hang in there. My oldest son says your works space is a reflection of the condition of your mind. Cluttered workspace = cluttered mind. He is a neat-nick, but I have to agree with him, at least in part, because when I enter my Lair, I have to pick up and do all my mending and have it clean before start a new project. My storage is all organized and stays that way, but my work surfaces get cluttered when I go on a marathon sewing spree.

I look forward to seeing the results of your room! It is gonna look great!
    Quilts are like friends - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth. Friendship promotes the good and happiness in each other.

My Granddaughter finally moved out and I now have a sewing room! Getting it organised was a big job but worth it. I don't know where I stored everything before, DH bought me some book shelves, great for books, magazines and of course the fabric stash. I have made 1 rule....... I must clean up before starting a new project.
    A Quilters fun is never done!

Post a pic

Quote Originally Posted by happyjan View Post
    My Granddaughter finally moved out and I now have a sewing room! Getting it organised was a big job but worth it. I don't know where I stored everything before, DH bought me some book shelves, great for books, magazines and of course the fabric stash. I have made 1 rule....... I must clean up before starting a new project.
    Quilts are like friends - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth. Friendship promotes the good and happiness in each other.

Organzing can become addictting.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

I understand and remember where you put everything. That is my problem, clean, and organize and then I can't find anything I am looking for.

j
    If I have to clean before starting another project, I would never get anything done. I like changing between a couple of projects. - J

I put away everything before I start another quilt. Room is so small nothing else would work.
    Glad you are getting your space organized.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Louise, I know that the beginning of a project like this can be overwhelming. You were smart to start with the boxes. Boxes are big objects and once you remove all of them you will be able to see a big improvement. Next start with another task like putting away all your cutting tools or fabric, etc. Do only one task at a time. Put on some fun music or watch a movie while you do the work. You will be surprised how quickly it will turn into a fun project. I can't wait to see photos!
    "I'm singing in the rain!......"

http://quiltingandotherramblings.blogspot.com/

I have a small room and it is hard to be organized ,Ikeep all my fabric in plastic bags that I got from the dollar store.

Hmmmmm......I have two seam rippers and can't find either one of them....I have 5 different projects going on at the same time. Come to think of it, I can't find the top to the cutting table either.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

I must have a cluttered mind!!! I straighten up before starting a project and think of other projects I'd like to do and start pulling fabric and patterns out and there you have it a mess again!!

simple quilter
    trying, trying, trying, to finish one thing before I start another!!!

if a "cluttered workspace" reflects a "cluttered mind", what does an "empty workspace" reflect?

(sneaks back to her corner)
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

I use boxes and what I find is to use same size mostly so they will stack well. Also label them with wide painters green tape and felt pen, easy to see what's in them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jona View Post
    I have a small room and it is hard to be organized ,Ikeep all my fabric in plastic bags that I got from the dollar store.
    what do you mean? ......show a pic, please

My sewing room is a spare bedroom with all of my sewing stuff and a longarm. We are getting new carpet for all of the bedrooms including this one.Everything has to come out. Didn't realize how much stuff we have. It will be about two weeks until it is installed. Hope to go though everything in this room and make desired changes while it is all out. Dred taking down my longarm, but it will all be worth it in the end!