Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

What do you use for a cutting surface? I am looking for an economical solution for a 36" height. The white resin tables do not seem to come in that height, though I know some of you raise them with bed risers. I am trying to avoid using our kitchen countertop or dining room table (which is not that high). Since I now have a dedicated sewing room, the goal is to contain all supplies and furniture there. Thanks!

This is on my buy list for this year, a dedicated cutting table, I’m 6ft tall and I like higher surfaces for cutting.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29084966/
    Lisa

Power Poster
    I have a rolling kitchen island/ cabinet with locking wheels that I have my cutting mat on. I place it so I can walk all around it for different cutting angles.

Blog Entries
    I made an island out of a 36" wide kitchen cabinet from Home Depot. I had a laminate counter top made in 36"x 48". this makes a very generous sized surface for cutting on mats and also for laying out my donation quilts [they hang over a little]. The front has a wide drawer and holds a ton and the cabinets are below. you could also get it with drawers instead of cabinet doors if you prefer.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I also use an old kitchen island with locking wheels, it is the right height and is movable.
    Juliebelle

Old Formica kitchen table (with 1 leaf) on bed risers. Fits my 58x34 mat perfectly. No complaints here.

I found two bookcases at Staples that were just the right height. I think they were around $27 each. I placed a solid core door on top, and now I have a big cutting surface with room to store things in the bookcases and underneath. The door is just resting on the bookcases, not attached, so it's easy to move or dismantle if necessary. (I did put some pieces of felt between door and bookcase to protect the finish.)

I got one from Home Depot. It's the perfect height for me because I'm short. It wasn't expensive either.

Lifetime makes height adjustable folding tables. The first link below is for a 4'L x 24"W table. The second link is for a 6"L x 30"W table. Some years ago I got a 5'L x 30" W table for my cutting for $75. They can be set at 36" high. Perfect for cutting.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-8016...18498899&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-8056...b_title_garden
    Sally

I use an old vanity from our bathroom before we redecorated. My husband put on a new top with a lip all around so I have some foot room. It is a great height and on rollers so it is easily moved. I can hang my cutting mat on the side and I have both storage cupboards and drawers. It is a perfect solution for me.

Blog Entries
    This is a heavy, old mahogany desk almost 6 feet across. I have two 36 inch cutting boards.Name:  20181227_161434_resized.jpg
Views: 2310
Size:  374.6 KB It's in the center of the room so I can get all the way around. The cats sleep under it. Seems to catch it's share of extra stuff.

I have used the bed risers that you mentioned.
    They worked fine, but I did find that I wanted them stacked two high, to get the height I needed.

I now have two 2'x6' tables banked together as one large table.
    There's a 3rd table I can add on, when I want to sandwich a bigger quilt.
    They have adjustable legs.

.... but not as easily adjusted as the one in TallChick's link.
    That one looks pretty darned slick!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

After many years of cutting on my 4'x6' table that my sewing machine sits on and I use it to lay my quilt out on it as I'm putting it together, I decided I wanted a dedicated cutting space. I found a 36" tall table on Craigslist. It works great. No more shuffling my cutting board around.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

I use the oak table from our other house. I had it in the breakfast room there, but this house has a small breakfast room so I put it in my sewing room with both leaves in it and bed risers under it. I found a large mat at Joanns the works great. I've been using it for 20 years now with no problems.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

We had an island built out of four base cabinets on rollers with a Formica top. I think the surface is around 60 by 40. It's the perfect height for me, and I do 99% of our cutting. You could find cabinets at a Restore or a garage or estate sale and paint them to match your room.

Another excellent but more expensive solution is the Martelli cutting table. It's height adjustable and comes in three sizes. If you wait for one of their half off sales you can get a better deal. The table came with tons of their templates and rulers, and also two of their ergonomic cutters.

Blog Entries
    I purchased an adjustable Husky work bench (on sale of course) at Home Depot almost 2 years ago. http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=D...Qwg8ICw&adurl=
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

My DH put together a great cutting table for me using two of the Expidit shelf units (I think they are called Kallix now)on their sides. They sit on a frame with casters and are topped with a wood block counter that I think was intended for use as an island. It could be made taller by putting a thicker base on it. It is very much like this https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/12/...ing-table.html
    I got a giant cutting mat that covers the top and I really like all of the storage cubbies underneath for keeping my rulers, cutting tools and scrap bin handy. I made a simple ironing pad that I use on the cutting table and I can lift it off when I want to.

I did buy the Ikea Skarsta table but had to get the smaller one to fit my room. I can use it with a cardboard fold able cutting board on top and it has saved my back and my dining room table.
    Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
    My DH put together a great cutting table for me using two of the Expidit shelf units (I think they are called Kallix now)on their sides. They sit on a frame with casters and are topped with a wood block counter that I think was intended for use as an island. It could be made taller by putting a thicker base on it. It is very much like this https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/12/...ing-table.html
    I got a giant cutting mat that covers the top and I really like all of the storage cubbies underneath for keeping my rulers, cutting tools and scrap bin handy. I made a simple ironing pad that I use on the cutting table and I can lift it off when I want to.
    This is exactly what I have. We bought a piece of laminate at Home Depot, had it cut to size and then put iron-on tape around the edge to finish the top. Since I'm not terrible tall, it's perfect for me. I keep a large cutting mat on one end and my cutting machine at the the other. I bought several sets of the Kallax drawer inserts to keep loose notions in underneath, and left the rest of the storage cubes open for other things. I absolutely love it.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I found a kitchen table for $25 on Craigslist and installed casters on the legs. The wheels raise it to the right height and make it easy to roll out of the way if needed.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

My room is small so the cutting table is the same as the sewing machine table. I sometimes have to push stuff around but it works for me. Battle Axe, your table is great! Wow!
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

This is what I use for my cutting table and ironing table. The tables come from Office Depot. I have had them for years so I don't know what they cost now. When I bought mine on sale they were about $39.00 +/-. Best investment ever.

My photos are of the legs so you can see how I raised the tables. The legs are PVC pipe from Home Depot. You decide how high you want your tables and then cut the length you want to make the table higher. I think my legs are 9" on my ironing table and longer on my cutting table. (I'd have to go measure but that is not important to your height.). I also have the caps that fit the PVC pipes so they do not scratch the floor. Without the caps the edge of the pipe is sitting on the floor, instead of sitting flat.

My cutting table is a 6' table. The ironing table is 5'. The length of the table is what you have room for. If I had another foot of room, I would have a 6' table to iron on also. :-).

I purchased "The Big Mat" (53") for the top of my cutting table. (I did have to trim some of the width off to fit my table). I have a lot of room for cutting without clutter!!! :-)

The tables you purchase to use these legs are very important. They have to look like this for the pipes to hold the table up. These tables are brown. If you get the white tables, they will not work because of the configuration of the legs. There is nothing to stop the PVC pipes from sliding even to the floor. Hope that is understandable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Ellen 1; 12-28-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: I am able to walk around 3 sides when cutting. Nice.

Blog Entries
    My hubby built a board top for the twin bed I share my sewing room with. It works great and will force me to de clutter the top at least 2x year when my son comes to visit. I got this workbench for Christmas and am using it as an ironing station although I think it would make a nice cutting table too.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...nch-69054.html
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

My husband and I built a workbench from Harbor Freight. (https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...nch-69054.html). We put casters on it. I have seen some people on this list using them for a cutting table. It isn't hard to put together. I would have purchased one for my sewing room except I already had a cutting table. They aren't nearly as expensive as cutting tables made by the sewing cabinet people. Just a thought

I just saw that the post above mine had already referenced this! Great minds?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast