Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Design wall

Design wall

I have a small sewing room and have very little room to layout a queen size quilt. I would like to have a design wall, but want to spend as little as possible. Does anyone have a good but cheap suggestions?

Thanks, Beth

I do not have room for a design wall either. What I do is lay a flannel backed tablecloth on my bed and use that. So far I have not made a queen sized quilt using this method, but when I do, I will lay it on the floor. It folds up great and nothing comes off the flannel. I used to lay my queen size quilts on the floor, but never again. I guess regular flannel would work good too, but the plastic gives it good support.

Banned
    I just hang a large peice of fleece on my wall with thumbtacks. You can do the same with flannel.
    most things will stick to it and as the quilt gets sewn together and gets larger I use pins to hold it up on the fleece wall.

I have flannel on plyboard, works great.

My friend uses a roll up shade that she glued flannel to. Rolls up under the window treatment when not in use. Good luck.
    Linda

I use foam board that I got at Home Depot.....you can cut the 4X8 sheets to any size.

I use a double layer of foam core that came in some package... mine only measures about 44x44 inches...

My next ones will be a roll up shade... I love that idea!

I covered the double closet doors in my sewing room with flannel.

A friend of mine had double closet doors in her room, but not alot of room for a design board. So she bought one of the Fons & Porter's design walls and attached it to hooks above her closet door. I think she may have attached a dowel rod on the bottom. When she's finished using it she just rolls it up and fastens it with ribbon. It stays unwrinkle and is out of the way when she's not using it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    A friend of mine had double closet doors in her room, but not alot of room for a design board. So she bought one of the Fons & Porter's design walls and attached it to hooks above her closet door. I think she may have attached a dowel rod on the bottom. When she's finished using it she just rolls it up and fastens it with ribbon. It stays unwrinkle and is out of the way when she's not using it.
    Love this idea - I'm stealing it! Already have a set in place design wall, pink styrofoam insulation wrapped in felt. It's 4x8 feet and nice when I have to hang a whole quilt - I can pin to the styrofoam, but this idea is good for a temporary second design wall over my closet doors! thanks.

Blog Entries
    Check this out. Think I might like to make one of these.
    http://www.favequilts.com/Techniques...-Tutorial/ct/1

Hope this comes through. Not real good at this stuff.lol

Betty

I bought a closet pole, attached it to the wall, above the sliding closet doors, put a sleeve on a large sheet and was ready to go.

Blog Entries
    I had my DH install a shower rod (sturdier than a curtain rod) on the wall and hung from it a large piece of white felt
    with a casing at the bottom in which I installed a dowel rod. Hangs nice and straight and can be rolled up and tied up out of the way with ribbon when my son comes to visit and I put a twin bed in that space.

I started with a scrap of fleece and taped it up with painters tape, to see if it worked and if I liked it.
    Then I went permanent ..... 10ft x 7-1/2ft!
    From the off cuts I have several smaller portable design walls, ranging in size.

And now ... I can't imagine having ever done any quilting without a design wall!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    I also have the Fons & Porter design wall. It is $29 but if you use a Joannes coupon, its quite inexpensive and works very well

Using ideas here, I made 2 design walls in 2 days! LOL
    The first was 4 sheets of foam core boards (the kind for school reports 18x24) $1 each at the Dollar store. Taped them together with duct tape and covered with a felt backed tablecloth. This one worked like a charm, but wasn't big enough for the project I am working on. I also only taped on one side so I could fold this out of the way.
    The second is a HUGE piece of fleece that got tacked to the wall near the ceiling. It's 60+" wide and hangs to the floor. It hold the pieces better than the table cloth--96 blocks hung over night without a single lost soldier! I also like that I can take it down and move it as needed.

All great ideas with different uses for different needs and spaces! Pinning a huge piece of fleece to the wall has been my method: it's cheap, quick and it works great. But I'm going to try switching to hanging it from a rod and rolling it up when not in use. That sounds great!

Betty,
    Thank you so very much for the link to favequilts. What a wonderful site and the tutorial videos are so helpful. I am going to join their blog, it seems there is so much to learn there. Happy New Year
    Kitsy

I just bought one from Keepsake quilting. It's a huge piece of material, it was on sale. I liked it because you would have to piece to get something this big. Think it was 23.00. I'm on a budget too. Put it where ever you have room. Happy quilting
    *Rachel*

I put a curtain rod above my double doors in the hallway. I then hung a vinyl table cloth, I brought at the dollar store, that has the backing on it. Cheap and works very well for me. The curtain rod is big enough if I needed to use two table cloths for a king quilt.

I love this idea-I don't have any left over wall space but I have a 12x12 ft wall of shelves loaded with fabric. My quilts always wind up huge--made 4 king size quilts as gifts last year. I was planning on putting curtain rods with ring clips so that I can hang quilts awaiting quilting--I love to admire my work!!! I may do this behind the curtain rods-maybe just oilcloth--that has worked well for me in the past.-stuck to the wall with thumb tacks.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    My friend uses a roll up shade that she glued flannel to. Rolls up under the window treatment when not in use. Good luck.
    I was thinking about using an old window shade with flannel (even considering making it white on one side, black on the other), still haven' figured out how to suspend it from the ceiling in the basement yet. It will have to go in front of my bookcases, and roll up when not in use. No wall space to speak of, and just a small 'egress' window. But now I know it's doable, just have to work out the particulars. Thank you for the info.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I love this idea too. I don't have any closets, but the idea could be applied any are where you don't want a permanent design wall.

My design Wall

I have a closet in my cutting room that has double mirrored doors with metal frames I found 2 magnetic hooks (for hanging Christmas wreaths on metal doors) and used them on the top of the door frame, hung a curtain rod & hung some white fleece on the curtain rod & voila, there was my design wall. I leave the hooks on the frame & when I want, I remove the fleece, fold it & tuck it in the closet. All for about $10.00 as I already had the white fleece. I had found a retractable design wall, but by the time I paid for that, paid shipping it was going to cost about $200.00 to bring it to Canada. This was a much more reasonable alternative. Hope this helps.
    Dance like no one is watching

For those that have the ability .... cover your closet doors! A double set would give you a lot of design wall space. Plus if they are installed far enough apart, you'll still be able to slide the doors with your pieces on them.

I don't think it's been mentioned ... there is a flannel yard good product with a 2" grid on it that is terrific for design walls/boards. Helps you get things on square and straight.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast