Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Disposing of rotary cutter blades >

Disposing of rotary cutter blades

Disposing of rotary cutter blades

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I used to wrap them in a piece of cardboard, tape closed and dispose. But I buy my blades in the 5-pack refills and they come in a round plastic container. Once I used up all the blades in the first pack, I began using the empty containers to put the used blades into for disposal. I mark the container "used blades" (it holds about 7 or 8 used blades), then I just dispose of that, easy peasy and safe!
That is what I do also. I write "Used" with a magic marker on the 5-pack container and fill it with as many used blades as it will hold.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 PM

Deb, my solution is similar. My husband is diabetic, so I save containers that have secure lids for all of his sharps and simply add my needles, blades and any other sharp edged disposables.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 PM

I also use the yellow container that the new blades come in. I put an X on each used blade with a Sharpie so I know they are the used blade and toss in the garbage when full. I like the idea of the glass jar because then who ever is the lucky person to sort thru the trash can see what he is handling without having to open it up.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:49 AM

I have taken a small water bottle - put the cap on and cut a slot in the side of the bottle. You can put the used blades in the slot - kind of like a piggy bank for "spent" blades. I usually put a strip of duct tape over the slot and toss it in the garbage.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 AM

We put ours in empty tuna cans with cat/ dog food lids from Mighty Dollar. tape them shut and mark on them sharps and throw them away.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM
sap

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I used to wrap them in a piece of cardboard, tape closed and dispose. But I buy my blades in the 5-pack refills and they come in a round plastic container. Once I used up all the blades in the first pack, I began using the empty containers to put the used blades into for disposal. I mark the container "used blades" (it holds about 7 or 8 used blades), then I just dispose of that, easy peasy and safe!
I'm with you
Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Default Rotary Blades

Did you know you can send in your old blades for replacements at a minimal cost? It's through L P Sharp Co. They are online and have all the information about sending them in, etc. They take Olfa and generic blades. I tried it and am very pleased with the blades they sent back.

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
You experienced quilters have probably solved this problem long ago, but here is my solution.

Every time I threw away a rotary cutter blade, I would wrap it carefully in paper toweling so my husband or I wouldn't cut ourselves while emptying the trash. Then I found the perfect solution - an empty Ice Breakers mint or candy container. It's the perfect size and the top flips open for easy access. When it's full, I just toss it in the trash. You can buy one in the gum, candy and breath mint section. It would be great for sewing machine needles too.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Good idea. I wrap mine in masking tape.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 PM

Im an insulin diabetic and I put them in my sharps disposible container.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM

I have large pill containers from prescriptions and I keep all my used blades in there until it's full and then safely throw it away.
Smaller pill bottles I use for my needles that are broken or not of any use . Reuse and recycle is my motto. I make sure to take the labels off the bottles first though.