Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Does anyone sew standing up?

Does anyone sew standing up?

I cannot seem to get comfy in my sewing room. Keep wondering if there is a better way to organize it. The table for my machine does not feel big enough. My cutting table is up on risers, and it makes me think that if the sewing table and cutting table were the same height, maybe I could butt them up against each other and use them together. But then the sewing table would have to be higher. I have seen Jenny from MIssouri Star sew standing up. Has anyone set up their sewing machine so you stand up to sew? If so, would you please share about what height your machine is at, and how well it works for you. Do you ever use a chair? If so, do you have a foot stool for your feet?

We have an adjustable height cutting table, and I put my machine on it "just for a few seams" while I was working on a project. I found it was much more comfortable to sew, and I didn't have to get up and down when working on several small blocks (365 challenge). I haven't moved it back to the desk yet, though I will eventually depending on what I'm doing. I love sewing that way.

I have not tried it, but I wonder if one of these desks would work?
    https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-He...+stand+up+desk
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I haven't tried sewing that way but when I had an adjustable desk at work I would put it up and work standing up for a while. But that was telephone and computer work. At home I don't have any place I could do it.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a stander I prefer to sit even if I have to keep getting up. If you are comfortable standing do it. I saw a computer programme which was having the work force stand to improve work. Can't remember if they did it all day or just in time frames. Their productivity improved when standing. Go for it.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    do you have 2 machines? one for standing and one for sitting....a nice change for your back.

Blog Entries
    Recently I put my work table (read "extra dining table")on bed risers to raise it up. Then I brought my sewing machine over to machine quilt a project, and I found that it really worked for me to sew this way. I don't know if I will leave it this way forever, but for this project, it was great. (I have a Janome 6600 which has a finger control option to use instead of a foot pedal, so I use my feet for standing.) I'm not sewing much right now, since it is "gardening season," but may continue to use it this way in the fall to get a better feeling for my preferences.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

I sewed a large heavy t-shirt quilt standing up at my large cutting table. It was certainly a different way of quilting. There are all these adjustable desk that one can stand up that seem to be very popular with the younger generation.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I use a hand crank sewing machine while standing up. I find it hard to use a foot pedal and stand though.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I have 2 machines (1 upstairs and 1 down) that are on desks (the downstairs one surrounded on all sides for quilt support); I sit to sew at those machines. I have other machines that I use for other tasks and I put whichever one I need on a back corner of my cutting table, nearest the elect. outlet and I sew there standing up. It works very well and the lighting is better; I don't need a supplemental lamp there. It might be just the fact that the machines I use there have the old type light bulbs in them. My tabletop is 38" from the floor; add 4" of machine bed/acrylic surround, so 42" from floor is where I'm sewing. I'm about 64" or 65" tall, I think.

Edit: No footstool at my upstairs machine, but the quilting machine downstairs is on a desk that has shelves, so its foot control sits on the bottom shelf, only a few inches from the floor. No stool or chair at the cutting table, though ... strictly standing up with foot control on the floor.
    Last edited by weezie; 06-27-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Wesing, the 365 Challenge is what I'm doing on the corner of my cutting table. It's so handy, I can just reach over the acrylic surround of my machine to my cutting board or, from the other side of the table, lay all my pinned sections right onto the machine table without having to take a step.

I sometimes treadle quilt while standing. Usually when its just a short seam or two and I need to go back and forth to the cutting/design table.

I do both, I sit while sewing blocks, and stand while FMQ.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    A couple times when I had my workbench and now part of it, I used it a couple times to sew standing up and I liked it. I put the foot pedal on a small stool I have that has non skid top. was not a problem. Couple seamstresses I know sew standing up because they can't find a comfortable enough chair. One has an old chair stool from back in the 60s and 70s. She uses that. ANother's husband made a pulpit like foot stool (slight incline) for the power pedal.

I have an extra sewing machine set up at one end of my large cutting table just for when I go to add my long borders/sashing and bindings. This keeps the weight of the quilt onto the cutting table and not hanging over the side fighting me. I stand when I use this machine. For awhile I was enjoying this machine so much I was using it for piecing too but have gone back to my trusty Viking Designer1 as I just acquired the extension table for it. My extra machine came with the extension table and I was enjoying the extra area while sewing. Problem with the Viking is that now its basically too high to sew comfortably and I can't cut the table its sitting on due to the type of folding table with drawers that it is.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

If sewing while standing is anything like using a LA to quilt I can't do it. Even if my hips didn't give me problems I found it too clumsy for me. And felt out of my comfort zone to be in control of the speed and proximity to where my hands would be while the machine was running.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I have never tried standing while using my dsm. Sometimes on a difficult seam or whatever, I really need to get my eyes right there to makes sure that stitch goes in the right place and I would think that standing would really make that hard, but never having tried it, I may be wrong. Never really thinking about it until now, I sort of rest my wrists on edge of table when sewing a long seam......it just never entered my mind to stand. But, I do have a L/A and stand there, but that's because the machine is moving over that stationary fabric and I'm the guide....(not computerized), what is that ergonomic rule about elbow bent at 90 degrees, is correct height of table work while sitting.....????

The position you use for sewing is really a personal comfort issue since we seam to get in grossed and spend hours doing the same repetitive work. I used to have a table and 2 desks that fit together so perfect for quilting (I wish I still had them but that was a few moves ago and available space was much reduced. I now use a office chair that is made for higher counters with a foot rest. Being able to very your activity by sitting and standing would be most beneficial. I can't think of his name the gentle man that makes the unusual rotary cutters also makes an adjustable sewing table that can be used sitting or standing. Looked to me like the perfect table for a small sewing room.

I have a countertop on base cabinets in my sewing room and have thought of trying to stand. I haven't tried it yet.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When my DD comes to sew and uses my good DSM, I'll pull out the travel machine and set on cutting table--much more comfortable than at the other desk that sets me too low. Standing is very comfortable if you have a table high enough. When my guild does a kids class we find that the littler kids like to stand and don't find using the foot pedal a problem at all. Also, I've heard that at some sewing factories that there is option to stand as less hard on back (but not legs!

I had back surgery last year, and I find standing to sew is much more comfortable for me. I have two sit/stand adjustable height tables that I got from IKEA. They are fantastic! I also have an adjustable height, rolling saddle stool that I use for sewing and long-arming. My Janome Horizon doesn't require the use of a foot pedal, though. Don't know if I could stand and sew if it did.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1515.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	553403
    Last edited by NoraM; 07-04-2016 at 03:04 PM.

I don't. For regular machine sewing, I use my chair at my sewing cabinet. If it's something really big, I move it to my dining room table. Hand sewing is also at a table.

I don't but my mother-in-law always sewed standing up and did beautiful work! She did it because sitting for long periods of time hurt her back so she had a tall table made so she could stand and sew.

I have one machine on my cutting table just for stitching on long borders and binding. The cutting table (4' x 8') gives me something to put the quilt on instead of having it hang down on the floor. Also both my sergers are on plastic drawers so again must stand when using them. Thought my sewing room would be large enough for all my machines but I keep adding or enlarging so space has become limited again.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

yes. i got rid of my desk chair at a clinic job in the 70's. and over the years as my spinal disease worsened i found it easier to do everything standing. i sew standing, if i have the space, i stand at countermto read the newspaper, i often even stand at count to read my ipad. standing is better i think than a chair for many reasons, especially because it helps with balance, you're moving even when your not.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.