Downsizing

Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Downsizing

I’m starting a library book by Margaretha Magnusson titled “The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning”.
Only about 100 pages.

I don’t have “stuff” like some have “stuff” but there’s a need here to streamline my house & life !
Old 01-25-2019, 05:19 PM

It sounds interesting. Is it a new concept or a repeat of other methods?

DH and I have completed cleaning out closets, the garage, and our shed. We have sent piles of "stuff" out of here and donated most items to others. It is freeing to not worry about "stuff".
Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Good for you, Rhonda. Her book isn’t a new concept, but I figure if I hear it enough times, it might sink in !
Old 01-25-2019, 06:45 PM

I don't often do a big cleaning, but I routinely get rid of stuff that I don't wear or use. I keep a "charity basket" in my spare bedroom and put things in there as I find them. It's a lot easier that way and I don't get tired or sorting and just dump stuff and then wish I hadn't.

I dont' really use any "method" for doing this. With me, if I don't see a use for it and it's not a special collectible item, I get rid of it.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Patrice's idea is a good one. I have the same thing going at my house. A basket to throw stuff in, then off to charity with it.
Tranum, thanks for the recommendation on that book.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:24 AM

We recently went from a large 4-story farmhouse to a 2-bedroom townhome. Lots of getting rid of stuff. It is such a good feeling to be rid of all that "stuff". I also have a box where anything I no longer need goes into. When full it goes to a thrift store. I have never missed any of it yet. It is doable.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I'm pretty good about keeping a donation bag going and when it is full I drop it off. We moved about 3 years ago and did a giant purge then, so not much has accumulated. I just bingewatched Tidying up with Marie Kondo and decided to try folding things in one dresser drawer. One thing led to another and I did all the dresser drawers except gym clothes and bathing suits and related items. The folding didn't take long at all and for some crazy reason there are empty drawers! I didn't get rid of much, maybe 4 thin items, but, now I am going through things I had on shelves in my closet to fold them nicely and now I will be able to see all of them instead of them getting lost in a pile. Also, I rolled the towels in the linen closet. Takes up less space and easy to grab. Doesn't take much more time than folding the way I used to.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 AM

I just bought the book mentioned and hopefully it will help. We have been talking of downsizing for a year. Just didn't seem to have the time. Now is the time! Wish me luck!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Our town has a "free store" - really! Everything is donated - it is like a giant garage sale - used furniture, clothes, junk, building materials, etc. - the churches in our little town all tried to have a little clothing bank or resale shop in their churches but just couldn't maintain the volunteers, or inventory - so they all chipped in about $25.00 a month for utilities and a local business donated their building. It is only open Tues, Thurs and Sat. - run by volunteers - and anybody can come in and get anything that they need - no questions asked, no proof of income - just free. So, it is a wonderful place to donate anything that we have lying around the house that we don't need. We live way out in the country at the end of a dirt road so having a garage sale is out. So, we just have a big bird feed bag sitting out in the junk room and everytime that we run across something that we don't need, we toss it in the bag and when the bag is full we take it to the free store. How many pie pans does one old couple need? Half burned candles might help light a home in an emergency, etc. Old Tupperware, etc. gets put into the bag.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 PM

I recently got the book "Decluttering at the Speed of Life" by Dana White. Since this seems to be a 'been there & this is how I finally took care of it' book. I'm hoping it will motivate me more than Marie Kondo.