Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric cardboard for storage

Blog Entries

Fabric cardboard for storage

Does anyone know where I can buy cardboard like they have at the store to wrap and store larger pieces of fabric? I tried Amazon, which normally has everything, but couldn't find it. Maybe I'm not calling it the right name?

Thanks.
    Karen

It's for comic books, try looking it up under comic boards. I bought mine on Amazon.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Blog Entries
    If you're talking about the longer cardboard pieces that are at the end of the ones at LQS's and JAF, ask them if you can have them so they don't have to get rid of them! Whenever I finish a bolt, I ask if I can keep the cardboard. However, if you're a frequent flyer, then they already know you...
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    I worked at JAF a long time ago and I seem to remember they had to return the cardboard to get credit for the fabric or something. I will try asking next time I'm there. Just so much easier if I could get some online.
    Karen

JAF will give you the cardboards. Now that they use comp. to keep track of inventory. I use to pick them up for the kids to use as speed tracks. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If your nearby walmart has a fabric area just ask them if you can have the unwanted bolt boards. They love not having to cart them all back. When I purchase fabric and there is a small amount left on the bolt, often they will give you "end of bolt' at a discounted price and you can keep the board. I always do this. You can always make a donation scrappy or scrappy for your self. Another thing; pool noodles (with holes) are great for wrapping larger amounts of yardage.

I went to the Dollar Store and picked up the foam display boards and cut them in 1/3's. 3 for $1 is a deal in my book and they are really more sturdy than I had originally thought!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hard to beat this if you can't get free.
    Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    I went to the Dollar Store and picked up the foam display boards and cut them in 1/3's. 3 for $1 is a deal in my book and they are really more sturdy than I had originally thought!

I use foam board from the dollar tree.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

I use the comic book boards for my smaller fabric pieces 3yds or less and the bolt cardboards for larger pieces. My fabric store lets me take all I want. I use the backing cardboards for the apparel fabrics as they are usually 54" otherwise I have to double fold them to fit the shorter bolt boards. Some stores do need to take the info off the ends of their bolt boards but normally they'll give them to me afterwards.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I used to get the longer (the bolt fabric) boards free from
    Joann's & Hobby Lobby.

But for the comic backing boards I get the "silver" edition from BCW
    (see link in blue below). I always found they where cheaper there.
    If you have a LOT of fabric to organize I suggest buying at least 10
    bundles (100 boards to a bundle) to get free shipping.

I have a "system" for folding my fabric, so I took about 4 bundles of
    boards to FedEx/Kinkos to have them cut 1 was cut in quarters, 1 cut
    in half than half cut in half again, 2 cut in half.

BCW
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

In Australia it is known as Strawboard and used for book binding and restoration, sold in education supply shops
    Many ideas and desires but not enough hours in a day - I love quilting

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about the ones joanns have there fabric on? I just ask for some of the ones that are empty and they let me bring it home.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I will ask next time I'm at Joann. My Walmart just added fabric and notions back into the store (a good sign, I hope, that more people are sewing and quilting again). In the meantime, I have some foamcore board in the my sewing room. I could wrap batting around it and then cover in muslin. I have a pretty red quilted vinyl that's pretty heavy, and I don't want to fold it in case it gets creases.
    Karen

Check with your LQS. The store I frequent will give them out to anyone asking for them - for FREE.

As several have already mentioned, ask where you purchase your fabric, if you might have the cardboard bolts - I then cut them to fit the fabric I want to store at home.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have also taken the fabric boards and split them. Just as sturdy. So you get 2 boards out of 1.

I have started to wrap my fabric on the cardboard from used bolts of fabric. Was able to get several from a store that closed. Had asked the lady at a Hobby Lobby and she said that if I wanted some they would give them to me.

I got my boards from Hancocks when they closed in our area. They were just throwing them out. So now I ask Joanns fabric if they have any they are about to throw out. I hit them at just the right time last time I was there and came out with a boat load. They will let you take what you want. I just need more shelf space to store more on.
    Susan

I was at Home Depot for Plexiglas and noticed they have the large sheets of the plastic outdoor signs like the politicians use. Would they work?

Quote Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
    I was at Home Depot for Plexiglas and noticed they have the large sheets of the plastic outdoor signs like the politicians use. Would they work?
    this would work beautifully. I personally use the foam poster board. I use an old rotary blade to cut them into the size I want and then fold my fabric onto them.

I don't want the longer boards they come on in the store. I want shorter/stubbier ones. Approximately 10x8. I double fold my fabric and then onto the boards they go. They might be fatter when wound up but then my shelves don't have to be so far apart, either. Nice option for anyone who's shorter. Which isn't me, but it helps not having to stretch so far