Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Organization

Fabric Organization

I would be interested to know how you organize your fabrics. I started using the cardboards used with the comic books but found that my shelves don't have enough space to allow the fabric boards to stand on end. I'm about half way with this but I'm not sure it's what I want to continue. Would love to hear your favorite way to store your yardage that helps with organization and fabric visibility to know what's in your stash? Thanks.

Power Poster
    All my fabric over 1 yard are on mini bolts and arranged in colour groups. I have them on shelves in a cupboard with doors.

I hope to do the comic boards one day; it looks so nice and tidy. I currently have my fabric stacked by color on open shelves in my sewing room. I have fat quarter bundles on a separate shelving unit in the hallway; I bought a lot of bundles when I first started quilting, but am moving away from that now. My stash is not large; keeping fabric in containers that I had to bend to reach would not be practical for me, so I have to limit my stash to the available shelf space, where I can see it and reach it easily.
    Lisa

This is how I organize mine. The picture was taken awhile back, so there's not quite so much room on my shelves now. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...78-479531.html

Ksdot417 how tall are your bookshelves? I like how they sit straight up while being close together. I just helped my sister put some bookshelves together but when we put them side by side they lean, just makes it look awful.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

You can cut the comic book boards to fit the space you have in your book shelves. I do that to fit them in my drawer units and it works out great. just measure the height of your shelves and cut the boards to size, then wrap your fabric around them.
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I ruler fold my fabric and it is stored in the plastic drawers from a big box store. I wouldn't have room to store the fabric on comic boards. The drawers are full enough that the fabric stands straight anyway.

I have just started folding my fabrics on a cardboard that fits on edge in my dresser drawers. I found I can store more fabrics in the drawers and can see at a glance what I have. Still in process of this organization.

I have my fabric on the comic boards and then in the file size plastic boxes/bins. Then there are boxes of Christmas fabric, Halloween and Thanksgiving fabric, Children's fabrics, florals, solids and then the professional sports teams. Then I put the bins on shelves.

Blog Entries
    I fold my stash in three different sizes;

large amounts are folded as they are at the LQS (although without the cardboard center-takes up room that I can use for more fabric)

medium amounts of fabric are folded to look like books (standing up on their sides, about 1/2 the height of bolted fabric-you'd be amazed how much fabric you can fit in a cabinet that way-again no cardboard centers-allows more room for fabric)

1 yard or less pieces-folded the size of fat quarters and stacked vertically.

All medium and small amounts are in color groupings. All large and medium fabrics are in my cabinet that has doors. My small sized fabrics have been bumped to one of our book shelves, as there's no longer space in the cabinet for them. But I'm always on the lookout for a larger cabinet that can hold all of my cotton fabric. All flannel is in a different shelving unit in a closet upstairs.
    Go forth and sew!

This how my fabric are stored, I was going to say organized, so this is a picture..OK, it does not exactly look this anymore but I fix it up about every 4-6 months.Name:  100_1745.JPG
Views: 717
Size:  66.0 KB

I have since added some curtains for neatness, and protect is from dust and sunlight. Each closet is 6ft and I have 4 shelves. The only things I have in tubs in the bottom on the floor are UFO..oh..I also have some under the longarm.

Originally, I ruler folded the fabric but got frustrated because I had to stack the fabric. When I moved I thought to use the comic book boards but my primary shelves have wooden slats about 2 inches up from the shelves (my Dad made the shelves after an earthquake and he wanted to keep things from falling off) and the comic book boards bend going in (and making them shorter wastes space). So now my larger pieces are stacked in the shelves. Pieces less than a yard are folded and stand up on end in drawers. I went back to ruler folding for the larger pieces, but I cut the boards in half for the smaller ones so they stand up in the drawers.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Sometimes the answer is staring you in the face...LOL. Never thought about cutting the boards, but what a simple solution.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    What are comic boards and how do you get them?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Since the hubs made my xl cabinet the shelves are larger (24" deep and 36" long), I can put 2 rows of fabric on comic boards. I stand the back row upright and the front stands on the longer edge (side). I can quickly see my stash. Fabric I don't use as much stands in the back. Knits, synthetics, polys and some flannels.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You can get them at the comic book stores or go to a dollar discount and get poster board and customize your size. I haven't used all of mine because my stash isn't as large. I have also used the bolt boards that some fabric shops also Walmart toss. When I buy fabric and it's at the end of the bolt, I ask for the board. If you have any old shirt boxes, those help. They're mainly used to help keep them upright. Can also order online.
    Quote Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
    What are comic boards and how do you get them?

I ruler fold mine and stand them on end by color in a 4 drawer dresser. These are all less than a yard. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999461797593/

Larger pieces ( up to 5 yards) look like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999461797611/

Blog Entries
    How do you ruler fold?

My shelves are higher than the comic boards---how would I use the space effecient if I were to fold on the boards?
    Right now, my fabric is folded and stacked. On the higher shelves, I have used the throw-away cookie sheets from the $ store to keep the stacks from falling over. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

I have anything 3 yds and under on the comic book boards by color in lg clear plastic bins and have my larger on fabric boards on shelves. You can ask in your fabric stores and they will usually give you their empty ones.

Blog Entries
    I use Polar notions boards, can put on 5 yards, and can put 3 fabrics and pattern for a project all on one board. they are great, got mine at Paducah quilt show
    Last edited by leaha; 03-02-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    dare to dream

I prefer the comic book boards or bolt boards for the larger quantities but after buying 1500 of them and still needing more I decided to use the ruler folding method for the rest of them. They don't stay up as nicely but works for the moment.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Where does everyone get their comic book boards so I know to get the right ones?
    Gloria 

I mostly buy 4 - 6 yds, fold them with a ruler, stack them on the wire shelves. Small amounts (usually left from larger) are just folded and stack on top shelf. I have used up lots stil have lots.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've been ruler folding too and stacking. Actually, I started out being really neat and tidy but now I'm just trying to unpack it all and sort it by color and theme. I'm going for the done is better than perfect philosophy. I'm being reminded about so many planned projects and also that I really don't need any more turquoises any time soon. Feels good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast