Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
First step in building my new quilting studio. >

First step in building my new quilting studio.

First step in building my new quilting studio.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
My husband and I moved our house in 3 pieces.
It is so amazing to me that this is even possible! Does it cause a lot of damage inside the house? (Other than where the pieces are cut apart, obviously - I mean like does it create a lot of stress fractures in sheetrock/flooring?)

I would love to build my own art studio, but it's going to have to wait until I either win the lottery or move out of California! (And neither of those things seem likely to ever happen at this point!)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

sewnoma,didn't do much damage at all even when it was brought down our rocky gravel road.The house was built over 1 hundred years ago.It didn't have sheetrock,it had lath and some kind of cement type stuff on it . The frame of the house was solid oak real 2x4's not pine like now that are 1 1/2x3 1/2 Before the house was cut they made a wall frame next to where they cut it apart. kinda like having 2 walls side by side and cut in between them. It was really interesting. We took all the lathing down and rewired and put new plumbing and sheetrock up new windows over the years.and vynal siding that looks like the siding that was orginal wood.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Oh, how completely and totally exciting! I'm going to live vicariously through you for awhile - I have neither the land nor the funds for this sort of a project but I sure do have the WANT!

So tell us - what are your plans? What are you going to have in there? How many windows? What sort of lighting? What sort of cabinets? What sort of flooring? What's your square footage? How are you going to finish the exterior? What color(s) are you going to paint it???

I need more info so I can pretend it's mine! LOL
It is not going to be a real fancy building. It is a metal building 24' x 40'. It will have 3 windows and 2 doors. The inside walls will be white metal. It will be insulated and we have already bought the a/c heating unit. The back 8' will be a walk in storage, I want to be able to store my fabric out of the sunlight. No bathroom, the house is only a few feet away. We have also bought the lighting, we are going to try led lights, really bright and energy efficient.
The flooring is an interlocking hard rubber, have seen it used in garages and race car trailers. Very durable, yet more comfortable to stand on. The flooring will be cream white with a red and blue pattern that I designed with EQ7. Not sure if I will have cabinets other than what we are making the cutting table out of. I have several rolling wire shelves. I really like everything on rollers as I like to rearrange.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:14 AM

sewnoma,didn't do much damage at all even when it was brought down our rocky gravel road.The house was built over 1 hundred years ago.It didn't have sheetrock,it had lath and some kind of cement type stuff on it . The frame of the house was solid oak real 2x4's not pine like now that are 1 1/2x3 1/2 Before the house was cut they made a wall frame next to where they cut it apart. kinda like having 2 walls side by side and cut in between them. It was really interesting. We took all the lathing down and rewired and put new plumbing and sheetrock up new windows over the years.and vynal siding that looks like the siding that was orginal wood.
Neat!! There aren't a TON of 100 year old houses in CA but I did live in a house from the 30's for 8 years and it had similar construction to what you describe. I love old lath & plaster walls - my grandfather was a Master Plasterer, back in the days when such a job existed!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

They were really neat, except they had about 8 layers of wall paper that was starting to peal and come lose.I was born and raised in San Francisco .Also lived in San Jose area and Tracey Cal. One of my sons lives in Coursegold not far from Yosimite. It's a shame so many old houses are gone. The new houses all look like boxes and all look alike.Older houses have little nooks and crannys in them and are usually pretty on the outside. At least that's my opinion.lol My house even had a little place built into the wall with a small shelf that the phone used to set in.That was added in the fifty's.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 AM

I love hearing about peoples' quilting rooms despite the envy they incite. My house is 200 years old and the upstairs is not separately heated, so using those empty bedrooms is not an option. I end up with stuff in two rooms, living room and back of kitchen, neither an ideal placement. Big old steam radiators take up space that might otherwise be used for storage shelves and making changes is out of our budget. If I could, I'd finish off the huge gaping attic space now filled with old junk, and add a heating system of some kind, but way out of the realm of possibility. So for now, I enjoy seeing what others do. Once in a while I actually buy a lottery ticket just to give the universe a chance to reward me.

Someone else built a new building like this a while back - does anyone remember if she showed later pics?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by psthreads View Post
It is not going to be a real fancy building. It is a metal building 24' x 40'. It will have 3 windows and 2 doors. The inside walls will be white metal. It will be insulated and we have already bought the a/c heating unit. The back 8' will be a walk in storage, I want to be able to store my fabric out of the sunlight. No bathroom, the house is only a few feet away. We have also bought the lighting, we are going to try led lights, really bright and energy efficient.
The flooring is an interlocking hard rubber, have seen it used in garages and race car trailers. Very durable, yet more comfortable to stand on. The flooring will be cream white with a red and blue pattern that I designed with EQ7. Not sure if I will have cabinets other than what we are making the cutting table out of. I have several rolling wire shelves. I really like everything on rollers as I like to rearrange.
Who needs fancy? You're going to have SPACE! 24x40 is huge, that's awesome. Do you have a longarm? And 8 feet of storage...I'm guessing that means an 8x24 storage space? Your storage area is going to be bigger than my whole sewing room, and that's after I move into the largest room in our house!

**so jealous**

Your flooring idea sounds fantastic, I hope you post pics! Useful and attractive - doesn't get much better than that! I just ordered an anti-fatigue mat that will lay between my ironing table and my cutting table in my new room (which is getting painted TODAY!) and I will be so glad for it. Those mats make a HUGE difference - you're smart to cover your whole floor in it!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 AM

They were really neat, except they had about 8 layers of wall paper that was starting to peal and come lose.
Ahh yes, the fun of old houses and all the "history" you find when you start trying to remodel anything!! We found bizarre metallic wallpaper under some faded pink flowery wallpaper in our 30's house. (We were renters but did some work w/landlord blessings.) Never knew that was in vogue but apparently it was at some point! At first I thought it was aluminum foil and was making mental jokes about alien invasions and foil hats, but then I realized it had a sort of fern leaf pattern on it and was too thick and papery to be foil.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 AM

Builders are here this morning. I am so excited!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by psthreads View Post
Builders are here this morning. I am so excited!!!
I bet you are excited.