Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting my dream sewing studio

Thanks for the pictures. That will make such a nice studio.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Wow, things really happen fast sometimes, don't they? Very happy for both of you and hope when you're ready to sell your current home, that happens as quickly!
    Mavis

Must be meant to be - congratulations! Cant wait to see your dream come true!

You mentioned looking into some vinyl plank flooring - we have it and absolutely love it! We went with Mannington Adura Luxury flooring (high end vinyl planking). It wasnt inexpensive, but well worth it and we went with having it professionally installed because... hey, we’re getting older! We had it installed in 2016 and it looks just the same today as it did then! We have 3 high energy little dogs always zooming around the house so it was extremely important to us that the flooring could handle it and is easy care. Not intending to be a commercial for the floor here, but wished we knew somebody who had it just for reference since flooring of any kind is a considerable investment! Anyway, we’re happy!

Blog Entries
    Congrats on finding the perfect place for you and to have space for your la too.

Wow, it sounds like it will work out so nice and lots closer to work too? Closer to work means home sooner and more sewing time! Nice, can't wait to see the final play room!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

So excited for you, Cathy. What a thrill to be "one on the same page" at the same time with hubby, and then find the perfect house when you least expected. It all just came together gracefully. i'd be finding it hard to sleep as well! You
    will have so much to dream about now!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations, Cathy! It sounds perfect for you both. Boy, an 84 mile commute would do me in. Glad you will be able to get out of the car a lot earlier.

Leslie

AprilM - thanks for the info on the flooring. We looked at Pergo (the high end stuff) and I've had a hard time finding reviews on that product. Found lots of negative reviews on Pergo Laminate . . .

We looked at appliances yesterday, and DH keeps hinting that I could have my baking center up in the Studio. Not sure why he's saying that. Maybe he's worried I'll clutter up the main kitchen too much. I plan on storing a lot of my specialty cook and bakeware in the second kitchen cabinets, but would prefer not doing much actual kitchen work up there. Fine for making a light lunch if I've got a few sewing friends over for the day.

I have promised DH that I will not have any sewing machines anywhere other than my sewing Studio (I have over 150 of them right now), and other than room to park my car, I'm letting him do what he wants for the garage! And he also has the second bedroom in the main house for his use . So he better let me do what I want with my studio !
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I have serious room envy. Congratulations on your new home. It's exciting to get something you have always wanted. Can't wait to see the final setup.
    JudyG

How fortunate to have found a home that meets both of your needs! Congratulations! Have fun in your new sewing areas!
    Rilène

Enjoyed hearing your happy story. Best wishes on the move.

Best wishes for happy quilting in your new home.

Blog Entries
    Sew exciting for you Cathy! I've thought if I'd live in a town, I would have a little sign out by the door..."Come in and sew with me." This sounds like the perfect place to have buddies over to spend the day!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

You sewing space is going to be soooo nice.

I have kitchen cabinets, upper and lowers in my sewing room with a 90 " counter top, they are very nice. I keep a lot of quilt books and lots of sewing items in them.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Congrats, Cathy! What a great big studio to work in! There's room for everything. Sounds like a great big blessing landed in your lap.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Congratulations. Although, I'd have trouble downsizing in acreage. LOL

Blog Entries
    Wow, what a wonderful amount of space you will have...we look forward to seeing how it comes together once you get settled in.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Cathy, this sounds like a wonderful set up for you and your husband.

I hope your commute is much shorter too. 84 miles each way is a long drive, especially in winter when it is dark both ways.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I'm going from an 84 mile commute to 1 mile. I plan on walking to work on nicer days. I was planning on being in the office Mon- Wed this week, but we've got a winter storm heading our way for Tuesday afternoon.

I've been thinking about items I'd want to get, and one of them is a steam iron (the professional kind). And a big design wall. My current area has slopped ceilings so my design wall has to be put up and taken down, so a lot of time I use my bed for layout.

I did some LA quilting yesterday, and I kept thinking how nice it's going to be to not have to go outside when I want to quilt.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Looks really wonderful!!
    Alyce

Yep, we’re on track to get your “used weather” in Iowa just in time for Thanksgiving!

Congratulations on this wonderful news! Can't wait to hear updates as you move along.

This weekend I'm going to pick out 25 sewing machine cabinets I want to keep, and then start working on rehoming the rest. I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit them all in but it will force me to make some choices. I want to dedicate a nice section of the vaulted wall for a design wall, so I have to leave that part open.

For the LA room, I want to put the machine so I'm facing the doorway when using it, so that means I can put shelves for my sewing machine collection along the vaulted wall, and should have room for 9 shelf units and can put 6-7 machine on each shelf - so that will hold 50-60 machines. I have them displayed on shelves like that already so I know it works. I'll have plenty of room on the working side of the LA for cabinets and storage for my LA supplies. And there will be a nice place on the door end of the room for a thread cabinet that I can swing open. DH will be making that - if I can design it for him, he can build it. We've both got lots of experience designing and building cabinets, and have all the tools. Will give DH something to do in his big heated shop this winter!

Macybaby: Congratulations on your upcoming moving adventure! I look forward to seeing pictures.
    Connie

Today my stash is doing dual duty - I'm using it to pack up my china. Then I'll pack up my statues and other breakables. I'm pretty sure I'll run out of breakable stuff to pack before I run out of stash. I can get lots of boxes from work, they get a lot of printed supplies and have stacks of boxes. they are not real big, but that is good since DH and I will be moving most of it and this way they aren't that heavy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast