Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Haven't posted for a while feel my pain? >

Haven't posted for a while feel my pain?

Haven't posted for a while feel my pain?

Old 08-02-2014, 01:29 PM

I made the Hoarders remark to my son recently about my sewing room. He said "Mom, it isn't a health or safety hazard yet and the rest of the house is great so don't worry, just close the door." Made me feel a whole lot better.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 PM

You have a very sweet son, Pam S. I sometimes feel I fit the hoarder profile, but they keep assuring me that I have a ways to go yet--I have two sons and a daughter who love my giveaways.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 AM

Good for you, it is a lot of work and I need to get busy too.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:36 AM

I too, am an only child and went through the same thing. I was working and would drive an hour to the house three times a week after work (3pm) and weekends. June to October....trying to go through all the stuff stored from 1938. Then I got a U Haul and filled it and had to plan as we bought a used tractor trailer trailer to put all the stuff in. We did not have room to store it all. I truly can relate. The good news is that part of my life is over and I don't have to go through it again. My kids did not help nor anyone else. They all had advice.

Originally Posted by kathymarie View Post
I too feel your pain...I'm in the same boat...and my grown children say the same thing to me... I don't think they realize how much stuff a person can accumulate over a lifetime. I've been trying to organize as much as I can when I am home...but I babysit an hour away most days for the daughter who calls me a hoarder...lol. The thing that opened my eyes was my parents passing in February. Dad died unexpectedly on Valentine's Day...mom had a stroke at his funeral and passed the next day. They really were hoarders. I'm an only child and not only have my own household issues to deal with, but I'm trying to clean, clear and purge my parents large home as well. I'll think good thoughts for you....please send some my way too.

blessings....kathymarie
Old 08-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Organizing a sewing room is not for the faint of heart! Sometimes it is easier to removed everything from the room and put it back in an organized manner (after the windows are replaced). It is nice when everything is in it's own place. The problem is what to do with everything that is still waiting to find a home! When cleaning out my closet the other day I found a stack of 12 pair of jeans I've been saving for a quilt. Those, along with a box of jeans recently donated by a friend have now been cut into circles and pieced to make 2 quilts (not quite finished yet though). At least I now have a small spot in the closet that is clear!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 AM

I cleaned out my sewing room this spring. I just finished a project so it is a mess again now. I will straighten it out today so I will be ready to start another project on Monday. It is more fun to sew when I keep my area straightened. Now if I could just get all those UFO's finished!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 AM

Unhappy My deepest sympathies on the passing of both parents.

[QUOTE=kathymarie;6828630]I too feel your pain...I'm in the same boat...and my grown children say the same thing to me... I don't think they realize how much stuff a person can accumulate over a lifetime. I've been trying to organize as much as I can when I am home...but I babysit an hour away most days for the daughter who calls me a hoarder...lol. The thing that opened my eyes was my parents passing in February. Dad died unexpectedly on Valentine's Day...mom had a stroke at his funeral and passed the next day. They really were hoarders. I'm an only child and not only have my own household issues to deal with, but I'm trying to clean, clear and purge my parents large home as well. I'll think good thoughts for you....please send some my way too.

blessings....kathymarie
Old 08-03-2014, 07:19 AM

My deepest sympathies on the passing of both parents.
I am not in the same position but have been thinking so much lately about the need to clear/clean out stuff so that my kids don't have to deal with it. It's hard to come to the realization that no body wants our stuff! I try to give things to the kids now but there is little interest. So I know that when we are gone it will most likely go to dump (or yard sale). So why don't I get rid of it now and enjoy the freedom that surely would come with a cleaner less cluttered home???

Rhonda
Old 08-03-2014, 07:21 AM

And isn't all that advise just so "helpful"??
Old 08-03-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I made the Hoarders remark to my son recently about my sewing room. He said "Mom, it isn't a health or safety hazard yet and the rest of the house is great so don't worry, just close the door." Made me feel a whole lot better.
That's my theory! My room is messy and cluttered and I like it that way. It's a functional room with lots of shelves and boxes for fabrics (all arranged by color) and yardage hung in the closets. I have been working at using up what I have and most of my projects the last few years have been made with fabrics from my stash. I'm not a big "go in and clean it all up at one time" type of person. For one thing, I work full time and have several other passions besides sewing. Most of my sewing time is on weekends, so if I decide to do a big clean up it means all my spare time for a few weeks ends up going to the cleanup. Not for me. I sort and put away a little here and there and try to make sure I don't add to the mess. The rest is not so bad and I just ignore it. LOL