Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I actually, really did purge my fabric bins yesterday ! >

I actually, really did purge my fabric bins yesterday !

I actually, really did purge my fabric bins yesterday !

Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation would be a good place to donate sewing items and fabric. One of my friends has been making baby quilts throughout each year and boxing them up with knitted items for babies. The hospital coordinates the quilts and other items for the babies so the mother has something of a start for caring for the child.

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation has so many people living in poverty. Donations for heating homes are gratefully accepted. My sincere apprecitation to caspharm for the above information. Teaching someone to sew opens opportunity for independence.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
Actually, why don't you just give all of it to the Indian Reservation. I know that Jo Kramer of Jo's Country Junction was talking about that the other day. Here is the address from her blog: I am also supporting Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Read a blog post I did about them here.
You can send items directly to them at:

If via UPS/FedEx:
Parents Resource Center
Wounded Knee District School
201 Main Street
Manderson, SD 57756

If via US Mail:
Parents Resource Center
Wounded Knee District School
P.O. Box 350
Manderson, SD 57756

Jo also has another group posted on her blog: http://www.joscountryjunction.com/de...ace-to-donate/
I took 4 boxes of fabric, each weighing about 30 lbs, and a box of books weighing 45 lbs to the UPS/post office to mail. It cost me $265 to mail to the group listed above. If I mail again, I will pack larger boxes and have the USPS pick it up at my home, it's cheaper.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by wanabee quiltin View Post
i took 4 boxes of fabric, each weighing about 30 lbs, and a box of books weighing 45 lbs to the ups/post office to mail. It cost me $265 to mail to the group listed above. If i mail again, i will pack larger boxes and have the usps pick it up at my home, it's cheaper.
thank you so much for this posting. A man from maine named hammond, wrote a book , not forsale, just recently about pine ridge area and i make hats and mittens and send them to appalachia every year and now i will send some to them too. I wonder if they take yarn too. I have gad lots given to me. Thank you again.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:05 AM

My stash could use another purge. I recently gave a large bag of fabric to a little girl that had just received her first sewing machine. I am currently creating quilts from my stash only. It is amazing how quickly our stashes can grow.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by momsbusy View Post
My stash could use another purge. I recently gave a large bag of fabric to a little girl that had just received her first sewing machine. I am currently creating quilts from my stash only. It is amazing how quickly our stashes can grow.
My niece comes over every once in a while and now with school starting back up, she'll be over every morning. I take her to school since mom has to be to work earlier. She can pick through some of my stash, then I box it and give it to mom the next day.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Great idea. Depending where you live check with your 4-H extension office. I know we have two 4-h's that do sewing and home crafts and take fabric to use in teaching their kids. Many times they donate what they make as practice. In some areas kids have little and can't afford to buy fabric so they out reach for those kids and get them involved. Also some middle and high schools still have home-ec. And sometimes the teachers take donations of fabric for the sewing class.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:36 AM

What a nice idea for you to give your unwanted fabric and books to the reservation...I bet it does feel good to have a lighter stash. Good luck with your move.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Good for you...I need to do that...
Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 AM

I can tell you from experience it would be better to donate it now than after your move. As you will have all these boxes all over the place you have to walk around. Plus you have to pay to have them moved.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 AM

I am looking to downsize in the next year and a half and have been slowly giving away fabric that I've realized that I'll never use. We have a fabric pool in our Quilt Show in October that I've been funding and just bringing in zip lock bags of pre-cuts to my guild meeting has been working well. I'm glad to hear that other people have this problem. I'm finding fabric on my shelves that I haven't seen in 10 years, and so obviously had no plans on using in the near future. I am finding it hard to let go, but know that I just won't have the space when we move.....so doing the hard work now.