Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I got a cutting table!!! >

I got a cutting table!!!

I got a cutting table!!!

Old 02-26-2024, 11:37 AM

Default I got a cutting table!!!

I'm soo excited. I've wanted a cutting table for so very long! I'm sharing here, because it's homemade with stuff around my house, so maybe it would help others. I had two changing tables that I didn't need anymore. (You could use shelving or bookcases of the right height). They are the perfect height and the shelves are great for storing stuff! Then we had an old door in our garage. My son and hubby cleaned it up and I laid to on top of the changing tables. Perfect cutting table and storage!
Old 02-26-2024, 12:42 PM

That's fantastic! Favorite saying - Use it up, Make it do, or Do without.
You made something wonderful happen - even better!
Old 02-26-2024, 02:08 PM

sounds great! my hubby was given a metal office table. I added height adjusters under the legs to get it the right height for me to cut easily. Fits my cutting mat with room on the other end for rulers and such. I store things underneath.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:11 PM

I am assuming that the door is smooth. If so, you can make it double as a wide ironing surface by adding foil and some layers of canvas or white denim over that. I think I have 5 layers, over foil and plywood. Just place them over - their weight holds them in place and you can peel a layer off to wash.

You can use a JoAnn coupon to get a fat reduction on a single cut of fabric, thereby saving a lot, Use very heavy foil.

That way there will be no cushion or wiggle under your cutting mat, yet you can still iron, too.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 02-26-2024, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

My setup is very similar. I bought two short bookcases and a solid core 36" door. I didn't even attach the door to the bookcases, just laid it on top. I've been using that setup for over 15 years. Now that I have an Accuquilt Studio, it sits on one end with the dies in the bookcase underneath, and I can use the other end as a cutting board.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:25 AM

Congratulations! Cutting will be so much easier, especially for your back. I love finding things I have and can use in different ways.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:55 AM

Anchoredhope, that's pretty much what I did. Had some book cases made years ago for my FLorida house with open shelves on the top side. Those tops are now in my garage storing paint and whatever else. The bottoms I took to make my cutting table. They have doors and 2 shelves inside each. I added a piece of phywood 4' x 8' on top, then added brackets about halfway down on the back sides of the shelving units to add another shelf, again 4 x 8. So I now have storage on the floor under the middle shelving, storage on the middle shelving which is where I keep all my totes of scrapes on one side, the other side holds my rolls of stabilizers and scrap backings. Found a company that could make me a cutting mat at 4 x 8. This company I'm afraid has closed down from what I gather though. I added some screws on the sides of the end sections to hold my longer rulers. The bookcase ends holds my quilting patterns on one end and my embroidery patterns/books on the other end.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:18 AM

That is a great idea Charlotte! Thank you!

And I love hearing about how others have used this idea. It's given me even more ideas to add to mine. Thank you!