Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
I need some ideas.... >

I need some ideas....

I need some ideas....

Old 10-26-2022, 09:17 AM

Default I need some ideas....

I have a hexie quilt I'm working on, and right now, my hexies are in a giant jumbo bag as pictured:

I'd like some suggestions on a good container that could be used for traveling that would fit my hexies. I have used totes in the past, but there usually isn't enough room with all the hexies I have, so they get squashed. I like to take this hand pieced project on trips, and it just seems cumbersome to have to drag a jumbo baggie, and then my hexie quilt, my hexie papers, cut out hexie fabric, and needles and threads and glue..... I just would prefer something that could fit everything in one, so I have less pieces to carry around....

Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2022, 07:07 AM

Have you considered those bags that bedding come in? I use them all the time for my scraps. They usually have a handle so carrying them is easy and there are some that are divided (usually two sections) which would allow you to do some sub-organizing there. For example, I was making a lot of crumb blocks last year - in one part I put the completed crumb squares along with the partially pieced ones, and then all of the crumbs went in the other. I haven't looked at it in at least 8 months, but I know where everything is still. :-)

With the list of "stuff" you want to have available for your project, you might consider a couple of these bags - you could even put one (maybe the one with tools and/or papers) inside the main one. Just some thoughts. Good luck to you!
Old 10-27-2022, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I use a large Yazzii bag. It holds everything. I can see and remove one item and not disturb anything else. I use smaller Yazzii bags for different hand sewing projects to take along. I have tried different bags, totes, and cases but none of them organizes, just carries.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:32 AM

I would make a custom bag for all the items. Easy to make the pockets according to size needed and add a zipper.

https://sew4home.com/aurifil-thread-...carrying-case/

Reconsider what you can realistically work on in the time frame. Do you need all the items or can you just work on a certain part of the quilt? Do you need to carry the whole quilt in progress?
Old 10-27-2022, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Have you considered those bags that bedding come in? I use them all the time for my scraps. They usually have a handle so carrying them is easy and there are some that are divided (usually two sections) which would allow you to do some sub-organizing there. For example, I was making a lot of crumb blocks last year - in one part I put the completed crumb squares along with the partially pieced ones, and then all of the crumbs went in the other. I haven't looked at it in at least 8 months, but I know where everything is still. :-)

With the list of "stuff" you want to have available for your project, you might consider a couple of these bags - you could even put one (maybe the one with tools and/or papers) inside the main one. Just some thoughts. Good luck to you!
I use those bags all the time. They're really handy! I also like small plastic boxes with lids. I can usually pick them up at garage/estate sales for a few dollars. They keep everything organized.

Another idea is a tool box. I've used one for EPP. I can keep my "tools" in the tray and the hexies or other shape pieces in the bottom. I have one of those I got at an estate sale for a few dollars. Brand new!