Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Martha Stewart Furniture >

Martha Stewart Furniture

Martha Stewart Furniture

Old 10-23-2015, 05:33 AM

Default Martha Stewart Furniture

I am taking over the guest room and converting it entirely into a sewing room. I am so excited!! I am wondering if any of you have purchased the Martha Stewart Craft Furniture from Home Decorators. The prices are really good and so I am concerned about quality. They have pieces that are like chests of drawers in various styles, all 36" tall. I intend to buy one for a cutting station and one for an ironing station. Then the 31" tall table that looks like a desk for my machine.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:44 AM

Not me, my sewing room is about 90% IKEA furniture.

Have fun with your new sewing room!! I really love setting up a new room, almost as much as I love using it!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

When I was shopping for some rattan furniture for the patio, I was very disappointed in the quality of her furniture. I would check it in person if possible. As Sewnoma mentioned, Ikea is a great place to shop for furniture that will add organization to your new space.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:16 AM

I don't know about her sewing furniture, but when I was looking at closet shelving, hers was not rated as good. Users said it was cheaply made and didn't hold up. Check reviews by consumers to help. I personally would go to IKEA if at all possible.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 AM

I bought the Martha Stewart 8 drawer flat file cabinet for my cutting station. Instead of using the top that came with it, DH made a top out of white formica that over hangs three sides. All my mats fit in the wide drawers except the one on top. All my rulers fit in a drawer too. I bought it on sale with free shipping. The reviews say how hard it is to put together. It is - didn't tell DH that ahead of time. Can't compare the quality to IKEA but the quality is OK. Not as good as the 29" cabinets I ordered from the kitchen and bath department of a lumber store. Made my sewing station out of those - with top 31". Here is a picture of mine finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533906[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20151023_104623-640x360-.jpg  
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 AM

Waited too long to edit my first posting. The cabinets I bought for the sewing station were more expensive than this piece. It came with wood dividers for the top four drawers. I really like them - have compartements for scissors, rotarty cutters, blades, ect. The quality is fine for what I'm using it for. Also, you cannot get kitchen or desk cabinets with drawers as wide as this piece has.

Last edited by Cam's gram; 10-23-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:58 AM

thanks for the input everyone!
Old 10-24-2015, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Not me, my sewing room is about 90% IKEA furniture.

Have fun with your new sewing room!! I really love setting up a new room, almost as much as I love using it!

I have to agree! IKEA is the place to go. The quality, versatility and endless choices helped make my home quilting studio my favorite place to be. I bought Billy bookcases, some with glass doors to protect my fabrics...the Expedit cube wall is perfect with an added desktop for all my featherweights and gives me lots of space for storage. I went with all white and painted my walls turquoise. It's a very happy, bright space.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:01 AM

I have 3 Billy bookcases (two, with doors on the lower half, are in my "office" to hold genealogy and other notebooks and office supplies) and one I've just recently bought to hold my quilting supplies: fabric (on comic boards), notebooks, fat quarters, etc. That one has full length doors, the top of which is glass.

I love Billy bookcases because the shelves, though made of MDF, are so much stronger than the bookcases from Wal-Mart, etc. Also the Billy bookcases are taller.

I've been happy with everything I've bought at IKEA (including a 2 cup glass measuring cup that looked like a laboratory beaker. Loved the thing but it was fragile and soon broke. Have never been able to find another one). They currently have some little plastic rectangular bins (no tops) that are strong and heavy and not expensive. Bought 4 of those; two large and 2 small, for miscellaneous quilting supplies/fabric.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:55 PM

Awesome, I love it.