Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My New Design Wall

Blog Entries

My New Design Wall

Hubby and I just finished my new design wall. This is what I have wanted for several years and we just now got it done. When we moved into this house five years ago, we removed the doors off the closet in my sewing room so I had access to the bins of fabric I had in there. The closet runs across the entire width of my room, but has a pillar in the center so there were two sets of sliding doors, which made it inconvenient to pull out the bins that were in the center of each side of the closet. I had a portable design wall which I was always having to slide behind the door to my room and put behind my ironing table so it would not fall over. Anyway, we put up a barn door rail system, with a 66 x 84 sheet of plywood covered in batting on it. I can move it all the way to either side and have access the other side of the closet or keep it centered (which is where I have it whenever I'm using it). It slides so nice and easy. I absolutely love it. Not sure why we waited so long to get it done! Please ignore my finger at the bottom of the picture.

Name:  Design Wall2.JPG
Views: 1574
Size:  122.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

JudyG

Very cool! I am jealous, but more I happy for you. BTW...love the quilt on it.

That is totally awesome! What a brilliant idea.

Power Poster
    ​Wonderful idea and design wall!

Blog Entries
    Not sure why so many pictures showed up there. Sorry. And sideways too. Who knows!
    JudyG

Very neat system & really pretty quilt.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

j50
    Did you use 2 sets of rails over both doors. How was the installation and how thick is your plywood and how stable is it when you press your cloth onto the design wall?

I will have the same situation soon and this looks like a fabulous idea.

thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    I am waiting for my Texas son to come visit. He always does projects for me and this is on my list. My friend in Florida has one similar. I know you will enjoy that and by the way, I made that quilt too!❤️
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Do you have the plywood directly behind the flannel covering? This is just a suggestion: take the flannel off and glue onto the plywood a same size sheet of one inch blue insulation. Then put the flannel back on the insulation. That way you can shove pins directly into the wall. You can also stick things that are not too heavy onto the flannel. You say there is a layer of batting under the flannel, but I'm not sure that is thick enough to pin to.

You adaptation of the sliding rail is genius.

Marcia

j50
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    Do you have the plywood directly behind the flannel covering? This is just a suggestion: take the flannel off and glue onto the plywood a same size sheet of one inch blue insulation. Then put the flannel back on the insulation. That way you can shove pins directly into the wall. You can also stick things that are not too heavy onto the flannel. You say there is a layer of batting under the flannel, but I'm not sure that is thick enough to pin to.

You adaptation of the sliding rail is genius.

Marcia
    That was what I also had in mind was to use insulation board either on top of wood or in place of. If in place of I wonder how flimsy it would be. Would it be pushed back when pinned into?

What a great idea. I “lost” my design wall when my husband decided I needed to remove a wall. Now I lay my project on the bed to work on it. Not as good as a design wall. I will see how I can move my ironing table so accommodate the wall. I hope I can get my husband to accommodate me.....hahahahaha...........What a GREAT idea!!!!! Thanks.

Its so nice to have a handy DH! He sounds like a keeper!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your comments.

J50: It is just one set of rails. I bought the Smart Standard 10' set. There is a pillar between the two closets, so I wanted the design wall to be the full width of one closet plus cover most of the pillar. We ended up making it 66". We used 1/2" plywood and had to attach a 2x2" header on the back to screw the rollers into. There is also a 2x2 footer on the bottom that has a groove cut into it that a piece on the floor sits into to keep everything lined up smoothly. Since I wanted it 66" wide and plywood only comes in 48" sheets, we cut two pieces down to 33" each and glued and screwed them together. It is nice and sturdy.

My original intent was to put insulation board on the plywood and then use flannel or batting, but I was concerned about the extra 2" on the front throwing everything off kilter. So for now I just have the batting on the front. I will test it for awhile and see if I need the insulation to be able to pin into. Right now the batting is working fine. The quilt is just there on the batting with no pins. As long as that works, I will leave it like it is. If I need to put the insulation board under it, it will be easy as the batting is just stuck on the wood right now with spray glue and is easily lifted and fixed. I left the batting long enough on all sides to be able to put 2" insulation board in there if necessary.

I am not sure you could use just foam board without the plywood as there would be no good place to attach the rollers.

For those who like the quilt, it is called Hanging Gardens by Cozy Quilt Designs. I saw Donna Jordan's video on it and just loved it.
    JudyG

Very nice!
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I also took the doors off my closet and put a sewing machine cabinet in there and have shelves above; no where close to the size of yours though. Love your design board.

j50
    Thanks for the explanation of how it was put together.

j50

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    Thanks for all your comments.

J50: It is just one set of rails. I bought the Smart Standard 10' set. There is a pillar between the two closets, so I wanted the design wall to be the full width of one closet plus cover most of the pillar. We ended up making it 66". We used 1/2" plywood and had to attach a 2x2" header on the back to screw the rollers into. There is also a 2x2 footer on the bottom that has a groove cut into it that a piece on the floor sits into to keep everything lined up smoothly. Since I wanted it 66" wide and plywood only comes in 48" sheets, we cut two pieces down to 33" each and glued and screwed them together. It is nice and sturdy.

My original intent was to put insulation board on the plywood and then use flannel or batting, but I was concerned about the extra 2" on the front throwing everything off kilter. So for now I just have the batting on the front. I will test it for awhile and see if I need the insulation to be able to pin into. Right now the batting is working fine. The quilt is just there on the batting with no pins. As long as that works, I will leave it like it is. If I need to put the insulation board under it, it will be easy as the batting is just stuck on the wood right now with spray glue and is easily lifted and fixed. I left the batting long enough on all sides to be able to put 2" insulation board in there if necessary.

I am not sure you could use just foam board without the plywood as there would be no good place to attach the rollers.

For those who like the quilt, it is called Hanging Gardens by Cozy Quilt Designs. I saw Donna Jordan's video on it and just loved it.

Love, love, love this! I am planning on a move sometime next year and this would be great to do in my "new" house (which I haven't found yet). I am gathering ideas now for my sewing room and this is definitely on the list.

Nice design wall.
    Carol

Blog Entries
    Great Solution. Love how organized your fabric is.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    You need the plywood for strength and the insulation for pinning. The two would go together nicely. I think I would glue the insulation to the plywood with rubber cement.

Marcia

Blog Entries
    What a great way to sneak a design wall into your sewing room...thank you for sharing.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Great idea!

Your design board is innovative and beautiful. I can only imagine how much you will enjoy it! Congrats
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Good idea! I am making the Hanging Gardens quilt, so it was fun to see yours. The directions are the worst I've ever seen, but the quilt is beautiful!

Perfect!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast