Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
My next organizing project for my stash! >

My next organizing project for my stash!

My next organizing project for my stash!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM

I'm in the process of taking pictures of all of my fabric and putting it on evernote, tagged with the yardage, name, etc.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by danece View Post
"before that I went to a sign shop, after calling around first, and purchased CoraPlast boards from them
Is Foam Core and CorePlast the same thing?

The foam core I'm picturing is from my old photography store days, and it's like core plast (a honeycomb of plastic) but with foam between the layers instead of the same plastic. I've seen what the foam does with exposure to sunlight... I would worry about the damage to fabric from the foam breaking down even just with exposure to the air long term.

The core plast, the sign companies use a different grade of it ("Sign grade"), some of it's supposed to be archival. They should have offcuts that should be pretty much free. My sign company client gave me a bunch happily, because it saved him "cleaning up". Now I have 3 full 4'x8' sheets in the garage that DH brought home from work because they were removing it from a display. I have no idea what I'm going to use that for, since I'm on a fabric moratorium, since I quilt more than I piece...

Maybe a design wall.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM

This is one of my (many) projects for the new year. Have the comic boards - just need to DO IT!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Coroplast is like corrugated cardboard, only plastic. I'm not sure if you can pin into it. Foam core board is like foam covered with posterboard but the posterboard cover is coated in a plasticky stuff. You can pin into it.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Look at all that beautiful fabric!!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM

I like the idea of using the foam core for longer lengths. I generally put up to 2 yds on comic book boards but the longer stuff is folded and kept separate. I may get some foam core from the dollar tree next time I'm there.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:48 PM

No the board does not extend more than the fabric, unless you fold it in thirds. The boards are 10 1/2 by 6 1/2. I have had mine on boards for years and I do not find that I have a problem keeping the edge clean. The comic book boards are archival safe and acid free so they will not harm your fabric. I probably still have 90% of the fabric from my picture still on the boards.

**hanging head in shame**

I buy more fabric than I use, I'm a fabriholic. lol.

The boarded fabric fits perfectly in the cardboard boxes that you get reams of paper in, keeps them dust free and out of the light to keep them from fading.

Last edited by materialgirl522; 01-07-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 PM

What size board do you cut for your fat quarters, we can not get comic boards here,but I was thinking of the type of plastic used by real estate agents. I can not keep my fabric on shelves, the daylight in New Zealand is very harsh! I would think it is the same in Australia.
If I could put my FQ onto some type of board they would be much neater in my cupboard
Old 01-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Coroplast is like corrugated cardboard, only plastic. I'm not sure if you can pin into it. Foam core board is like foam covered with posterboard but the posterboard cover is coated in a plasticky stuff. You can pin into it.
That's what I was thinking. The Foam board outside should be archival (if it's the same quality as the stuff we used when mounting photos "back in the day"), but the foam wasn't meant to touch the photograph, and as most foams do, it degrades. I would be leery of having it against fabric.

The coreplast probably doesn't take pins well, but I pin fabric to fabric, not into the board. That would leave the pin too perpendicular to the board and catch on things. Also, AlaskaSunshine uses a clip of some sort. No pins required.

As I recall, she uses 4x6 1/2" and 7 1/2" x 11 3/4", but I ended up cutting both down for my shelves, so measure your shelves before you cut or have cut.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 PM

wonderful stash looks so neat