Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need ideas to repurpose tobacco pipe stand

Need ideas to repurpose tobacco pipe stand

After my grampa passed away, I was given his old pipe stand. I'm working on my sewing room, decluttering, etc, and really want to repurpose this to be useful for my quilting and/or other sewing things.

The glass bowl is probably about 1 quart in volume. The stand is around 11" in diameter and 8" tall.

Looking at it, I might be able to sew some pouches to hang from the upper holes and rest on the bottom, similar to what you might find for buckets, but outside of that, I'm not sure.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Name:  pipe stand 1.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  252.6 KB

Name:  pipe stand 2.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  234.3 KB
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

I don't know if you knit or crochet, but as soon as I saw the photo, the first thing I thought of is how perfect the holes on the outer edge would be to hold my crochet hooks, and the bowl would be a perfect spot to keep things like my stitch markers, plastic yarn needles, and a small pair of scissors.

Use the bowl for your buttons, or for your extra bobbins, or any small things your have around. Use the outside for long marking pencils, pens, or even for scissors (put points down). Have fun filling it up!

Power Poster
    Lovely piece! I might just fill it with old buttons or spools and use it for a decoration.

I love the smell of good pipe tobacco.....it must smell heavenly.

I wouldn't do a thing with it. It's beautiful as is.

The bowl in the center-candy dish! Is there something you like to snack on as you sew? Maybe M&Ms. If the stem holes are big enough you could place favorite thimbles in them. The bottom looks like a deviled egg plate but don't do that. It looks fairly shallow. Think I'm stumped on that.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I wouldn't do a thing with it. It's beautiful as is.
    I agree. It looks very "pettable" - like the wood would be silky feelng.

Blog Entries
    Here's is what i did with mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Boy does that bring back some good memories!!! My dad!! He had one of those sitting by his chair! Thanks for sharing....

I don't think I would put food of any kind in it - the lid is wood and must have the tobacco smell. (My dad was a pipe smoker and his humidor was wood and it smelled fantastic long after he stopped smoking.)
    My first thought was the crochet hooks too - so maybe the markers/pencils/pens you use. I am forever looking for my pencils in my sewing room. I also have a few other items like a 6 inch ruler that is a 1/4 inch cube shaped that would fit, and I am sure there are other items that given time will work well. If it were mine I would put it in the sewing room and see what gravitates to it. My sister gave me a pretty cotton ball crock for my dresser - but I thought it was pretty and it made its way into my sewing room and it holds my safety pins. But now I am thinking of taking the pins out and putting my clips in since I use them more than the safety pins.

I just looked at the picture with all the scissors in it - that would be wonderful too, especially for all my little scissors that like to play hide and seek in the sewing room.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 09-16-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks for the ideas! He actually quit smoking a pipe before I was born, so there is no longer a tobacco scent, but I do remember playing with his old cob pipe as a kid.

I've just started using wonderclips, so it might be a good catchall for that. I might make a divider for the glass bowl, so that I can put safety pins in one sections, clips in another, and see if there is any need for another one. I don't have many buttons right now (I could dig through my mom's tin if I needed some).

If I use it to hold things like scissors, things with "points", I might make a little mat (like a tree skirt) for the bottom so that I don't scratch it up.

My plan in the next few years is to move into a smaller place, and will need to make sure a lot of stuff "has a function" on top of "looking cool". This has given me some ideas for something I definitely don't want to get rid of!
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Instead of covering the bottom for scissors what if you made little felt scissor cases to slip the tips into.

Quote Originally Posted by ka9sdn View Post
    Use the bowl for your buttons, or for your extra bobbins, or any small things your have around. Use the outside for long marking pencils, pens, or even for scissors (put points down). Have fun filling it up!
    Yes this! I think it is lovely and would easily be repurposed. Enjoy!
    Anna Quilts

marking pencils, and pens ...yes, but how about a few dowels to put through the top hole down through spools of thread and above, on the top of the dowel,you could put the bobbins.......just a thought.. Beautiful piece and brings back so many good memories of my dad's table beside his chair.

If you use it for scissors, you might want to cut felt in a matching color or maybe even adhesive cork for the indentations . It would cushion the points of your scissors and also protect the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsylvstr View Post
    marking pencils, and pens ...yes, but how about a few dowels to put through the top hole down through spools of thread and above, on the top of the dowel,you could put the bobbins.......just a thought.. Beautiful piece and brings back so many good memories of my dad's table beside his chair.
    Oh, this is a really good idea.
    Sally

If you put scissors or other pointy objects, maybe get some of those adhesive felt pads that you put under chair legs.
    It's such cool looking piece with functionalty built in.

What a treasure. You've been given some great ideas.

Beautiful, no ideas but I would just like to look at it and fell it every so often.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Scissors, seam rippers, purple thangs; they could all go in the pipe holders. You could put thread or pins or candy in the tobacco holder (after washing).

I have 2 of these and they house all my sewing scissors which is what I searched and bought them for in the thrift stores. I put a small piece of sticky back felt in the indentations on the base so as not to damage the scissors or scratch the wood. If you did not want to use sticky back felt, you could just put pieces of felt. I have one at my sewing table and one at my cutting table. Love them. How special that you have your Grandads

Definitely keep it and use it! I can't say for sure what I would use it for, but I would use it to organize something.