Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Organized my baby stash

Organized my baby stash

I spent some time last night going through threads regarding stash organization. I am truely amazed at some of the stashes that are out there, it is kind of scary for a new quilter:-) Since I am also a weaver, I know how quickly a stash can get out of hand (I really don't like thinking about my stash room for weaving) so I stopped at a local comic book store and picked up a pack of comic book boards. Much cheaper there than on-line, which is a good thing. I want to keep this as much under control as I can. Right now my dining room is being transformed into a sewing area and I have begun storing my fabrics in my grandma's china cabinet. As I said, it is just a baby stash, but one has to start somewhere:-)

Name:  20171011_145412-800x600.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  134.4 KB

Name:  20171011_150816-800x600.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  99.6 KB
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1891 VS2, 1932 15-88, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html

Power Poster
    All stashes start out as babies and grow.

You would be surprised how many quilts you can make with that amount of fabric.
    Use what you have...you'll appreciate it down the line

Blog Entries
    looks good
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I agree, a huge stash would be overwhelming! Keep it small but useful.

I think we are on the same page! I also have been reading the organization threads and also purchased comic boards. I have been working on organizing my stash. . Love the comic boards. I agree with above comments, your stash will continue to grow. It's hard to pass up a great sale. Love how you have used your grandmothers china cabinet!! Very cool!
    Make it a GREAT day!

Props to you for organizing your baby stash. Looks very tame and submissive in your grandma's hutch.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Faintly Artistic...I try to keep my stash small and useful. I focus on buying fabric that I need for a specific project and since there are always leftovers, I have plenty to play with scrappy quilts. Enjoy the journey.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    It is amazing how fast those little stashes grow into an out-of-control one!

Ha! I thought you meant you had separated your fabrics that were intended for baby quilts.

I see you are off to a great start getting your stash organized. One tip for you: Be sure the sunlight doesn't shine on your fabrics or you may get faded areas on your lovely fabrics.

Timely post. I've been de-stashing. I find that I no longer want to be overwhelmed with too much fabric. It's working for me. I get easily overwhelmed

Good thing we don't live close by. The comic book store would have been under siege!

I just did the same thing and had to go back to the store twice. The second time the guy couldn't contain himself and asked what I was doing with them all.

Watson

Blog Entries
    Yes, they start out as babies, then grow like teen-agers with odd things spouting up here and there, and end like dementia has over taken them, all disorganized and slightly scary.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 View Post
    Yes, they start out as babies, then grow like teen-agers with odd things spouting up here and there, and end like dementia has over taken them, all disorganized and slightly scary.
    Haha Love it!!
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a Gift!

She who sews shall surely rip

Power Poster
    You might consider keeping your fabrics "in the dark" - light can fade them - especially on the fold lines.

(Ask me how I know - - - - )

Looks good! And remember scraps also become part of your stash. About half of my stash is made up of scraps left over from completed projects— Some larger pieces get wrapped around comic boards and small pieces are cut into the largest manageable size (that I am likely to use ) that I can get from it.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    Ha! I thought you meant you had separated your fabrics that were intended for baby quilts.
    Mine, as well!

Great use of the china cabinet-can never have enough storage!

I think you are wise to keep things small if you can. I struggle with out of sight, out of mind and everything in its place. I want my stuff to look tidy and neat but I want to see the lovely colors....

Thanks for looking and all of the comments. Grandma's china cabinet is in the corner away from direct light, so I should be okay regarding light and fading. I am really trying to control the size of my stash. My weaving yarn stash is so huge that I have been pretty much weaving for 2 years out of it and I do not want that to happen with quilting. Actually some of the fabric is from what is left from weaving rag rugs and placemats, the cloth just was moved from one room to another:-)
    Theresa -
    a weaver turned quilter
    Singer Lover: 1891 VS2, 1932 15-88, 1950 221-1, 1950 201-2, 1952 301, 1955 99k28, 1959 401a
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...88-albums.html