Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organizing and Down sizing >

Organizing and Down sizing

Organizing and Down sizing

Old 05-23-2015, 12:35 PM

If you have a GD that shows an interest in quilting, then grab her up & help her make pillowcases to start out with for her family members & friends for Christmas. Then let her graduate to making lap quilts with 8 to 10 inch blocks. They will go together fast & can be donated to Nursing homes, sheriffs departments, homeless shelters. The list is endless & will give her pride in helping someone in need. You could use up a lot of the fabric that way.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 PM

Another thought: When the hurricanes hit many quilters loose everything........fabric, books, sewing machines, etc. Contact a guild in the hard hit areas and see if they would like anything/all of your extras.

One year, when I was a guild member many years ago we collected gobs of fabric and 1 inexpensive sewing machine and they were 'THRILLED". It gave them hope and encouragement.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 AM

we have an orphanage here that appreciates donated quilts
Old 05-24-2015, 03:51 AM

If you have a senior center, contact them. The one in our town gratefully takes donations of fabric, yarn, and othre craft supplies and notes it in their newsletter and you can just pick up what you want at no cost. Lovely help for seniors on low budgets.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:22 AM

I belong to a Guild in Berrien County, MI and we make charity quilts for nursing homes and for children in various stressful situations. Looks like you have found many homes for your fabrics, but I'm quite sure we could find a use for the fabric, also. Would be willing to pick up fabric, it may be a nice day trip.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:46 AM

Hi from fellow Michigander!! I'm down in the Belleville area (not far from Ann Arbor). I just ran across a Facebook group who is doing the same thing. She's selling off 40+ years of her mom's fabrics who can no longer sew (from what I read). Anyway, she set up the group - took pics with the yardage and the price - also laid a measuring tape on the fabric for scale. She ran it all day yesterday and shipping out twice a week. She'll be listing more in a few days.

here's the link -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/7928..._comment_reply

Then, what you don't end up selling, you could donate.

Good Luck !!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by soozq View Post
Can anyone out there in Quilt Land suggest ideas to rapidly use up material I inherited from my Mom? Her taste and mine were very different.
Have you considered Faux Chenille?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 PM

There is a program called "Heads at Ease" that a military mom started. They make & send pillowcases to deployed service members. Great response from military. The organization appreciates fabric donations & gets the fabric into the hands of volunteers who make and mail the pillowcases. Our guild in northern Mi participates on a regular basis. (My daughter used to live in Pinckney)
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 PM

I'm from Brighton. In Howell, the Melon Patch Quilt Guild meets every Wednesday at the VFW on M-59 and Grand River. They do lots of Charity work, and are always looking for donations.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:00 AM

When I had to pack up my stash when we down sized our home I bagged up fabric I knew I would never use and I called the local "Project Linus" organization and a lady came by and picked up the fabric and was very grateful for the donation. They make charity quilts for basically anyone that needs one I guess. I believe I called a LQS and they gave me phone #"s to contact someone. Good Luck on your search-I am very shocked that the church groups did not respond.