Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organizing misc. things? >

Organizing misc. things?

Organizing misc. things?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM

My favorite newest storage item is this. It is a drawer from an old treadle cabinet. I got it at a garage sale filled with empty wooden spools for $3. I have all my different scissors and rotary cutters in it. It sits on my sewing table. I used to have all of them in a skinny drawer and I would always have to dig and dig because whatever I wanted was always at the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails 102_3321.jpg  
Old 07-30-2012, 11:37 AM

A crafty friend of mine put her supplies in the little plastic boxes and labeled each one - wiggly eyes, pom poms, feathers, buttons, patriotic, jingle bells, hooks & eyes, snaps, grommets, etc. She used the shoe box size for projects.

I use various size ziploc bags for all sorts of organizing.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM

I use the metal (or heavy plastic) cabinets that are made for nuts and bolts. I have 3 smaller ones that I put safety pins in (use 2 for those), misc tiny trims, zipper heads, etc...and its really handy. I could attach those to the wall if I wanted to (they are sturdy) but don't have much wall space. I use the clear plastic shoeboxes for others: doll clothes supplies, zippers, elastics, the polyester threads that I use to make clothes that I bought eons ago, glue gun & glues, etc. Those are stored overhead, and if I need one I use a small stepstool I keep in the room. I use every inch of space possible.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM

I have found that I organize, reorganize, organize, reorganize, etc. and have decided that if I spent sewing instead of the time organizing, folding, moving, etc., I would accomplish more finished projects. I think all this "organizing" for me is a way to procrastinate or put off something, especially, if the project is not working just right. Sometimes, I think it is a time for me to reconnect with some of the beautiful fabrics I have like just to touch them and remember why I have them and what I was planning on doing with them when I bought them. I think it is also a way to "defrag" and get myself re-set... hope this makes sense... Oh, I need to finish organizing the 3 new book shelves I bought 2 weeks ago! Yikes!!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:07 AM

I have a basket on a shelf that holds misc. items like lace, elastic, measuring tape, rick rack, etc. Things I don't use much, but are there if I need them. In my sewing machine cabinet drawer I have granite cups and small granite pans that hold needles, extra rotary blades, thread, things I use all the time. A place for everything and everything in its place. I organize things according to how much I use them.