Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pegboard...who knew?

Blog Entries

Pegboard...who knew?

In researching pegboard for my new sewing room, I discovered that it comes 1/8 or 1/4 inch. I presume this is the thickness of the pegboard not the size of the holes. Does it really make much difference as to either size as long as I can find a good selection of hooks and accessories to fit either one? What is your experience?
    Last edited by jmoore; 02-26-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

The only difference would be the hooks and the price. The ones for the 1/4" will be heavier and will hold heavier objects. The 1/8" are fairly light. Check out the hooks before you decide.

bkay

I like the heavier pegboard because its a bit sturdier and I think it's hangs better without sagging or warping
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I forgot to say, that you need to put some strips on the walls on the edges for the pegboard so that it doesn't fit flat to the wall or you can't put the hooks thru. The 1/8" pegboard will tend to get wavy when you do that.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

It's worth it to me to have gotten the 1/4" . My pegboard is holding up just as sturdily today as when I hung it up a couple years ago.

Keep in mind that when hear that the board is 1/4" thick it is really 3/16 (which is what I have). DSL made me pegboard walls and when we moved, I moved the pegboard walls and they are still great after 17 years. He framed the pieces in front and back -- if you don't put wood behind the pegboard you can't put hooks on it. He put a frame around the front so it looks nice. I love them and have them very full. I put shelves and various size hooks on mine -- and as my needs change I rearrange everything. It really works great.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    You guys are great. Thank you for your feedback... I did read somewhere about framing it from the back so the pegboard did not rest flat against the wall. It sounds like you can purchase all sorts of hardware for pegboards.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Pegboard also comes with either 1/8 or 1/4 holes, and the hardware comes in both sizes. Before you pay for either check to see which size the store carries. Few stores carry both size boards in my experience. 1/8 inch hardware will not stay in 1/4 inch holes worth a darn. A variety pack of hardware will include rubber spacers and screws to hold the pegboard off the wall. Framing under the pegboard may make entire rows of holes unusable so I recommend using the spacers. Can you tell I use a lot of pegboard?
    Shirley in Arizona

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You got me curious but my pegboard is 1/4" thick with 1/4" holes. [QUOTE=QuiltnLady1;7773455]Keep in mind that when hear that the board is 1/4" thick it is really 3/16 (which is what I have). DSL made me pegboard walls and when we moved, I moved the pegboard walls and they are still great after 17 years. He framed the pieces in front and back

Oh, I also use pegboard in the bottom of drawers to keep thread organized. Instead of hardware I use 1/4" doweling so the thread stays in place.
    Shirley in Arizona

Blog Entries
    Go to the garage storage section of a hardware store and you can find chrome peg board or plastic peg board. I use an old metal ironing board with all sorts of holders. The shower curtain hooks with big balls can hold things on an old holey ironing board. Magnets are nice. Some pegs work some not. My ironing board is spaced away from the wall at the top to hold rulers. There are different kinds of old metal ironing boards and each has its own advantages and different hooks will work.

I have also used wire shelves from Menards also from the garage storage section. We hung some on the wall and hung IKEA cups on the grids. Those grids cost some where around $4 or $5 each the cups were about $1 each. We used some kind of copper hangers to hold the grid on the wall. I slit clear hose tubing bits to put around the edges to keep it off the wall.

Baby bed springs hung on the wall. I hold things on with old metal shower curtain hooks, clothes pins, S hooks, anything that works. I love it. Magnets on the frame. The hose bits slipped around the edges of the frame can keep it from scratching up the walls.

Gear ties work nice for holding things anywhere. They are rubber coated wire twist ties. Those were found in the fastener section at Home Depot.
    Last edited by miriam; 02-27-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    It's worth it to me to have gotten the 1/4" . My pegboard is holding up just as sturdily today as when I hung it up a couple years ago.
    It will hold up fine. I've had mine up for about 18 years in this house and it's doing great. My husband has pegboard over one wall of the garage and part of another wall. Even with our heat and humidity, it's doing great and has also been there for about 18 years. We did use the heavier pegboard with a frame made with 1 x 2's as I remember.
    Patrice S

Another reason for using the 1/4" thick pegboard is that it will not warp like the thinner version. It is just more sturdy and and useful. I think I have 1/4 " pegs and they hold a lot of stuff. I have peg board mounted on two sides of a narrow book case that I had stored my kids toys on and now I store fabric on. I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
    Oh, I also use pegboard in the bottom of drawers to keep thread organized. Instead of hardware I use 1/4" doweling so the thread stays in place.
    Good idea!!
    ... Just thinking ........ I bet golf tees would work instead of the doweling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Love my pegboard.... Hubby made it as a turning or rotating stand, four sides, and 6 feet tall. I can take it to craft fairs for displays but it mosting stands and rotates right next to my sewing table and holds all my templates, rulers, scissors, etc. No wall space taken up.

Wish we had some pictures of what you ladies are talking about. I use peg board too and I always am looking for new ideas.
    Mary

I LOVE my pegboard & it holds all my mid to smaller size accessories. It holds my embroidery hoops (except the extra large ones). It would hold them but they would take up so much room that I wouldn't have much room for anything else. Good investment, IMHO.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    I used 2x2's for a frame, and cut a center slit in the 2x2's to slip the 1/4" peg boards in. I mounted mine long ways, and let the 7' 2x2's as legs to stand up behind my machines.

Then after this is built I laid them down on the patio face down. then I laid a 2nd peg board on top of the frame. Take 2 -1/4" dowels and stick them through both peg boards and slide the top PB up to get the dowels at an down angle. Remember this if the back of your free standing PB. Now secure it to the back. When you turn it over to the front side your dowels will be slanted up!

I went to Lowes and bought a bunch of dowel sticks and taped then in a bundle. Lowes charged me 50 cents a cut, to cut through the bundle. I cut mine every 6". This is so much cheaper than hooks. Just put your cut dowels through both PB's it will hold great, and they are strong. my pics will not loads, sorry

Blog Entries
    Wow- I am learning a lot tonight about pegboard. Very interesting. I wanted to put up some, but then moved, and haven't gotten around to the project. Thanks for the info.